This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Wedding

edited April 2011 in Everything Else
So. 4 hours to go.

1) Meh, I don't care.
2) Eff yeah! Youtube channel full screen on separate desktop since last week.
3) What wedding?

Comments

• 1, but I'll probably check it out briefly since I'm sure I'll still be awake.
    View history in the making etc etc
  • edited April 2011
    The only thing about it that I could say honestly I've come close to caring about is the Royal family ban on any use of the footage for the purposes of parody, satire, or the like, which stopped The Chaser from doing one of their usual specials on it. That is some bullshit right there, but otherwise, meh. It's kinda fun taking the piss out of the people/media going mental about it, but that's about all.

Also, the two billion figure quoted for viewers is LUDICROUS.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I was 3, then I was 1 when I found out.
  • What wedding for real? Are Rym and Scott driving to Mass to get a civil ceremony?
  • Okay, 1, but one of my swap groups on Ravelry is doing a big, fast swap this weekend (ostensibly in honor of the wedding, but really we are just hoars) and I think that is as good a reason as any to be happy about it. :)
  • At first glance I was 3), then I realised what you were talking about and switched to 1).
  • My country fought a goddamn war so we could stop worshipping British royalty. 200+ years later, here we are worshipping British royalty.

As a patriotic American, I'm going to ignore the whole goddamn thing.
  • My country fought a goddamn war so we could stop worshipping British royalty. 200+ years later, here we are worshipping British royalty.

This right here. Now if only they'll stop mentioning it on my Australian radio streams.
  • My country fought a goddamn war so we could stop worshipping British royalty.
    Is this what they teach you in Catholic school history?
  • 1 mostly. I actually just care about her dress which is Alexander McQueen.
  • This right here. Now if only they'll stop mentioning it on my Australian radio streams.
    Don't worry, for the most part, we're just as sick of it.
  • edited April 2011
    My country fought a goddamn war so we could stop worshipping British royalty. 200+ years later, here we are worshipping British royalty.

I 100% agree, however by even commenting in this thread you just failed at ignoring it.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Is this what they teach you in Catholic school history?
    Jesus and Moses fought off the British. Right?
  • To be honest, I have always found William to be kind of a douche. I feel about this the way I feel about any celebrity wedding. Ho hum. Also, why the heck doesn't the world go gaga over Danish Royalty, or all the other royals in Europe? Feh.
  • Also, why the heck doesn't the world go gaga over Danish Royalty, or all the other royals in Europe?
    They probably don't even realize that the godless communists in the viking lands have royalty.

I also believe strongly that, at least in America, much of the buzz about the wedding has been entirely manufactured by the media.
  • edited April 2011
    To be honest, I have always found William to be kind of a douche. I feel about this the way I feel about any celebrity wedding. Ho hum. Also, why the heck doesn't the world go gaga over Danish Royalty, or all the other royals in Europe? Feh.
    We did go pretty mental for the wedding of Prince Fredrick of Denmark, but that's mostly because he was marrying one of ours. We're still quite fond of them. Really, after this, there shall be the royal honeymoon, where they'll have a royal root, eject some royal spawn, and then we forget about them till the Queen dies, at which point we panic as we remember that charlie is next in line. And then Un-panic, when we remember he's about as much use as tits on a bull.
    Post edited by Churba on

Although I did have an interesting conversation with the wife about whether America would be more politically stable if George Washington had sired a line of effectively powerless American royalty. The British monarchy certainly does have a galvanizing effect on royal subjects.
  • How about:
    4) Interesting news. May take a quick peek at the hubbub, but then I'll move on and do something productive.

That's pretty much my attitude on it.
  • edited April 2011
    Last nights Daily show skit on this subject was totally awesome on this subject.

I realize that I keep having to say this, just watch the daily show all the time so I don't have to mention it ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I was amused to learn the top choice in the wedding dress color betting pool was slightly off. Her dress was ivory and white, not just ivory, which is a huge difference if you're a part of the Wedding Industrial Complex.
  • edited April 2011
    WHAT?!! There are many people who have interests that are not directly related to videogames or anime? Preposterous! Stop having these interests!

Wait. It's probably only the stupid, old people who are interested in this. What? Two billion people were interested enough to watch this? FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • This is the conversation that has been happening between myself and others:

"Where were you during the Royal Wedding?"
    "I was writing a 40pg lab report and I passed out around 4am. There was a wedding?"
    which is a huge difference if you're a part of the Wedding Industrial Complex.
    Univac was actually built to be a predictive dress color scheme designer for picky brides. Modern technology owes a debt of gratitude to 1950s Bridezillas.
    WHAT?!! There are many people who have interests that are not directly related to videogames or anime? Preposterous! Stop having these interests!
    If you cannot perform a Denjin Hadouken, or if you do not know who always gets his man, please leave the gene pool immediately.
  • I only caught a small portion of the coverage before I left the house, but it was some pre-ceremony banter between some arse, and the historian Simon Schama. The arse in question made an incredibly snide comment about wedding guest David Beckham being out of place in Westminster Abbey, implying that a "commoner" like Beckham was not wanted there. Thank fuck for Schama, as he went on for several minutes about the history of the abbey, and how it was originally a place that a commoner like Becks could freely visit. It reminded me of the stale, parasitic nature of modern royalty, and how pathetic the sycophantic arse barnacles that cling to them truly are.
  • edited April 2011
    What? Two billion people were interested enough to watch this?
    I have a very very hard time believing that number. 1 in 3 people on planet earth watched the royal wedding? No, I really don't think so.
    It reminded me of the stale, parasitic nature of modern royalty, and how pathetic the sycophantic arse barnacles that cling to them truly are.
    I don't think it's radically different than other forms of celebrity worship. Of course, I also find that to be ridiculous.

People really like clinging to dreams of fantastic and otherworldly lives, it seems.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I only caught a small portion of the coverage before I left the house, but it was some pre-ceremony banter between some arse, and the historian Simon Schama. The arse in question made an incredibly snide comment about wedding guest David Beckham being out of place in Westminster Abbey, implying that a "commoner" like Beckham was not wanted there. Thank fuck for Schama, as he went on for several minutes about the history of the abbey, and how it was originally a place that a commoner like Becks could freely visit. It reminded me of the stale, parasitic nature of modern royalty, and how pathetic the sycophantic arse barnacles that cling to them truly are.
    Never mind that the bride herself is a commoner...
  • It reminded me of the stale, parasitic nature of modern royalty
    Some modern royalty. The Spanish love their king and queen. Especially after he asked Hugo Chavez, "Why won't you just shut up?" when he wasted time at a summit trashing the US.
    how pathetic the sycophantic arse barnacles that cling to them truly are.
    This I agree with.
    I have a very very hard time believing that number. 1 in 3 people watched the royal wedding? No, I really don't think so.
    Per a quick Wolfram Alpha crunch I did, the implication is that almost the entire populations of the US, all of Europe, and all of non-Indochinese Asia combined would have to tune in.

To me, that's completely preposterous.
  • edited April 2011
    I have a very very hard time believing that number. 1 in 3 people on planet earth watched the royal wedding? No, I really don't think so.
    The wedding, watched by over 2 billion people worldwide, delighted the people of Britain.
    Source.

I'm not vouching for this. I'm just reporting what they're saying and what I've read/heard. BTW, we happen to be at home today, my wife is watching BBC, and they just now said that over two billion people watched the wedding. So, that's the story. Once again, not my number. That's the number several news agencies are bandying about.
    The arse in question made an incredibly snide comment about wedding guest David Beckham being out of place in Westminster Abbey, implying that a "commoner" like Beckham was not wanted there.
    It wasn't so much that they didn't want him. They didn't want to go to the expense of widening the doors to accomodate his wife's monstrous head.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Source.

I'm not vouching for this. I'm just reporting what they're saying and what I've read/heard. BTW, we happen to be at home today, my wife is watching BBC, and they just said that two billion people watched the wedding. So, that's the story. Once again, not my number. That's the number news agencies are bandying about.
    A thoughtful analysis I rather enjoyed.
    It wasn't so much that they didn't want him. They didn't want to go to the expense of widening the doors to accomodate his wife's monstrous head.
    Heheheh.
  • edited April 2011
    It wasn't so much that they didn't want him. They didn't want to go to the expense of widening the doors to accomodate his wife's monstrous fake tits.
    Of course, let's face it - Is there anything about this tawdry, over-hyped affair that Thick and Thin could really make that much worse?

Well, other than harming people's eyes with the violent orange of Victoria's fake tan. They're a pair of right planks, but so are half the other guests. The only think we can really hope for is that Philip will start running his mouth, which never fails to amuse.
    Post edited by Churba on