This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help me prove online gaming's innocence

edited May 2011 in Technology
A little background: I am in the military deployed overseas in Kuwait. I live in an open bay with around 30 other people. We have the luxury of having wireless internet provided to us by a third party if we purchase username/password combos then use that to access a gateway site and connect to the internet. This was all fine and dandy until I was told today by my superior that we had to stop online gaming because it was slowing down the internet. The main game in question is Starcraft II as at least 10 of us play it. I tried reasoning with him, but was unable to win him over due to my incomplete understanding of how all the tech stuff works. I must bear the burden of proof it seems. Please help me make a solid argument for gaming.

His argument:
-He kept getting timed out on his midterm assignment (could be server side, his computer being a hacker’s zombie, shitty computer, any number of things I don’t know)
-He gets better speeds when less people are “home” (no comeback as this is true)
-His slow internet at home says it’s not meant for online gaming (marketing trying to upsell him)
-Games might use small amounts of data, but they add up huge since they are constant (streaming, DLing, and Skype are magnitudes larger, all of which are done here)
-Gaming takes precedence over everything else at the router level (no clue if this is true)

My argument:
-Our ISP’s main fiber optic line coming from Bahrain was severed a few weeks ago. Being “worked on”
-Modern games use predictive algorithms and don’t need as much X is going to Y,Z as one would think
-We buy the time out of our own pockets, not a military provided service. Why should he tell us how to use our bandwidth?
-SC2 in particular uses way less than streaming videos, torrents, or DLing stuff
-Game never halts for bandwidth/latency issues, so there must be enough overhead (even on 4v4)
-Gaming is an easy scapegoat since it is highly visible

My question in particular is how does the router/hotspot thingy handle packets of data from so many sources? Do any get priority? Are there any other technical reasons I overlooked?

Speedtest says: 94ms ping, 0.68 Mbps download, 7.94 Mbps upload

Thanks for reading my wall of text.

Comments

• In terms of bandwidth usage, online gaming is negligible. I doubt you'll ever spike above 10 KB/s, unless you're downloading maps.
    Games might use small amounts of data, but they add up huge since they are constant
    This is absolute bullshit. All that really matters is how much is being used at this very second.

I bet you just have a crappy router and connection. One AP and one Internet connection for 30 people? Of course that's gonna crap out.
  • Agree to stop gaming for a week and see if the problems stop.

Torrent instead.