This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Discover awesome racing

Comments

• They're bringing back turbochargers under the 2014 regulations. Color me very excited.
    See, I wish NASCAR was like that. But they're stuck in the past with their carbs, pushrods, and live rear axles. :(
    Carbs. I once heard someone say that the reason carbs have stayed is that audiences want to see the flames jet from the tailpipes. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, I has a sad.

Also, F1 is dropping to 1.6L six cylinder blocks in 2014 to be more environmentally conscious. That's cool too.
  • edited October 2011
    Also, F1 is dropping to 1.6L six cylinder blocks in 2014 to be more environmentally conscious. That's cool too.
    I love turbocharges, they fool the hippies. :P The truth is at race speed a turbocharged engine clubs baby seals slightly more than a normally aspirated engine of similar displacement. power output. :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2011
    I love turbocharges, they fool the hippies. :P The truth is at race speed a turbocharged engine clubs baby seals slightly more than a normally aspirated engine of similar displacement. power output. :P
    Didn't know that. Interesting.

Also, apparently the turbo-compounding technology being used for these new F1 engines was perfected in airplane engines. Damn.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2011
    I can write you a small essay on why turbocharges are an emissions trick if you're interested.

Turbo-compounding however is new to me.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2011
    If I could make my own racing league here would be the rules:

You can build the car however you like. No restrictions except that you aren't allowed to have weapons systems of any kind. If it is possible, you can do it. However, there is a limit on money you can spend. Everyone has the same budget. No safety restrictions either, but you have to convince someone to drive it. Obviously if it's too dangerous, nobody with a lot of driving skill will agree to get behind the wheel.

The races will consist of a variety of every style: oval, grand prix, endurance, rally, drag, off-road, etc. It will also probably include copies of some of the biggest races in the world. Indy 500, Monaco GP, Dakar Rally, etc. We would also bring back the Mille Miglia.

The trick would be that the same car with the same engine has to run all the races. If you crash and your car doesn't work anymore, you are out of the entire thing. If you purposefully attack another driver with your car, you are out of the entire thing. Otherwise some guy will just enter with a tank and win by crushing everyone else.

The only thing you can replace is tires (if you even have tires) and fuel. You can use whatever tires and/or fuel source(s) that you want, but you have to pay for it out of the budget. It's also up to you to actually get the fuel in the car. If you are driving through the desert there aren't pits out there. You need to pay to put your team out in the desert with fuel. Perhaps a plane?

If nobody makes it to the end of all the races, nobody wins. Just like Sasuke (ninja warrior). We'll also start with the easiest races and build up to the hard ones.

Obviously more details would need to be worked out, but you get the general idea.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I can write you a small essay on why turbocharges are an emissions trick if you're interested.

Heh, that's alright. My personal goal is to learn the ins and out of auto mechanics over the next year (I know a lot about how to drive, but not a whole lot compared to my friends about what keeps the car running), but I don't want you to waste your time trying to learn me some turbos.
  • That would be neat for 1 or 2 seasons until everyone figures out the most ideal car and then just replicates that. It would probably be something akin to a WRC rally car with unrestricted engine output.

Also, you have to consider spectator safety. That's the reason NASCAR introduced restrictor plates. In the 80's on one of the super speedways a nascar got side ways and the aerodynamics of the car at the time were such that that caused the car to effectively fly into the air. Not inches, like 10 feet or more and headed toward the grand stand. Luckily because the inertia of the car was still in the direction of the race track it hit the fence and got wrapped up in it, tearing down several hundred yards of fencing on the track. Several people were injured, but dozens could have easily been killed.
  • I can write you a small essay on why turbocharges are an emissions trick if you're interested.

Heh, that's alright. My personal goal is to learn the ins and out of auto mechanics over the next year (I know a lot about how to drive, but not a whole lot compared to my friends about what keeps the car running), but I don't want you to waste your time trying to learn me some turbos.
    Later tonight I'll have time to waste on turbo talk. :P Also if you have any specific questions, throw them out there and I'll try to answer them.

Also, when googling info about turbos, when you come across people who think that OEMs are dumb for doing things the way stock turbo setups are, generally speaking those people don't really understand what they're talking about.
  • Yeah, Rally Group B worked similar to Scott's suggestions (supercars turned into endurance monsters), and then people started dying all over the place. However, cost was the biggest limiting factor, if I remember correctly.
  • That would be neat for 1 or 2 seasons until everyone figures out the most ideal car and then just replicates that.
    You might think so, but I think there would also be some crazy ideas in there. Mostly it would happen if people tried to specialize for certain stages. I could see someone carrying a jet or a rocket boost just for the few times it would be useful. Also, it would be most interesting to see people just pushing the limits of science. Even if all the cars are mostly the same, teams would invest in making huge advances in small areas, like they do in F1. You might see some new tire materials and such.

Also, hopefully, the races themselves would be so crazy that the entire world would watch. Then the auto makers would get huge bragging rights for winning.

Also, do the same thing with motorcycles in a separate race. Every race weekend on Saturday you have bikes and on Sunday you have cars.
  • Ducted fans to hold the cars down?
    Stuff like this was banned due to the amazing danger it presents.

Let's do it anyway.

Redline.
  • Terrible ideas, Scrym haz them.
  • edited October 2011
    Terrible ideas, Scrym haz them.
    Yeah, I stopped reading when Scott said "No saftey rules, because if it's too dangerous, a skilled racing driver won't drive it."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Terrible ideas, Scrym haz them.
    Yeah, I stopped reading when Scott said "No saftey rules, because if it's too dangerous, a skilled racing driver won't drive it."
    Scott doesn't know the drivers we know.

Hell, Scott doesn't acknowledge the enjoyment to be had from driving a standard.
  • Hell, Scott doesn't acknowledge the enjoyment to be had from driving a standard.
    Hey, he's entitled to his opinion. Even if it's wrong.
  • You have to make but one reply to Scott's "you won't drive a dangerous car if you're awesome"
    Ayerton Senna.
  • NASCAR time!

Road America

Watkins Glen

Circuit Gilles Villeneve
    from what I've seen, watch Road America and Montreal, the Glen race was fairly dull.
  • I would also like to note, though I cannot embed the videos, check out the now finished American Le Mans season. You can watch every race and qualifying session at http://americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=video
  • You have to make but one reply to Scott's "you won't drive a dangerous car if you're awesome"
    Ayerton Senna.
    Or that Dale Erndhart dude, who is the reason that a HANS device is required nowadays.
  • edited October 2011
    You have to make but one reply to Scott's "you won't drive a dangerous car if you're awesome"
    Ayerton Senna.
    Or that Dale Erndhart dude, who is the reason that a HANS device is required nowadays.
    EDIT: I stand corrected, it is possible Dale Earnhardt may have messed with his safety belts but I'll take Wikipedia's word that it was not a major factor in his death. I will argue that a 2001 Nascar car was safer than a 1994 F1 car though.
    Senna's death
    Earnhardt's death
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • EDIT: I stand corrected, it is possible Dale Earnhardt may have messed with his safety belts but I'll take Wikipedia's word that it was not a major factor in his death. I will argue that a 2001 Nascar car was safer than a 1994 F1 car though.
    Senna's death
    Earnhardt's death
    And here's wikipedia's list of racing drivers who have died in racing accidents.
  • edited October 2011
  • On a lighter note, Toyota has unleashed a fun little tool upon the internet which not enough geeks have looked at
    Sponsafy
    You can make your own design for a Nascar car. I plan on making pony cars once I have some time, but feel free to jump in and make something geeky awesome.
  • I plan on making pony cars
  • I plan on making pony cars
    Now that's some MLP I can get behind.
  • Here are some pictures of my first attempt.
    Let me know what you think. I'm not submitting them to the contest because of potential copyright issues, but if you want any other pictures or such, let me know.
  • Pretty nice. I'm actually gonna try my hand at making MLP liveries for Dirt 3. You cant get em in without hacking the game a bit, though.
  • edited April 2012
    Indycar has been having a tremendous season with the new cars so far. No, they're not as fast as F1, but the racing is close for the most part and the design of the cars is actually preventing cautions because the rear tire guard and sidepods are keeping tires from getting tangled. Barber and Long Beach are better races than the first race, but St. Petersburg has a really nice tribute to Dan Wheldon at the end, and the race is still fun. In previous years I have enjoyed Indycar as the American open wheel racing series, but the races have felt about 20 or 30 laps too long. I haven't felt that yet this season.

Streets of St. Petersburg

Barber Motorsports Park

Streets Of Long Beach
  • Though I am disappointed with the lack of replies to the Indycar post, I shall post more awesome stuff for your consumption. First up is a race of classic cars.

and then I would like to draw your attention to open wheel racing once more with Auto GP. Auto GP used to be called Formula 3000 and was a major feeder series for F1 before GP2 and World Series by Renault. This year's first race at Marrakech is freaking awesome.

Hope those who watch enjoy, and in a bit of news, Indycar is now posting full races to their Youtube channel, so if you want more Indycar, just hit that up.