This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Discover awesome racing

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hope those who watch enjoy, and in a bit of news, Indycar is now posting full races to their Youtube channel, so if you want more Indycar, just hit that up.
    ^_^ Yuss...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Going back and watching some of the old Group B rally races gives a new meaning to crazy.
  • edited July 2012
    Going back and watching some of the old Group B rally races gives a new meaning to crazy.
    I think with today's superior saftey technology, it would be a great time for group B to return, but alas, I fear it is a misplaced hope.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • WRC is all but dead, isn't it?
    I'm not sure where you heard that, but No, it's really not.

• Teetering on the precipice of chaos and control, drifting is, without a doubt, the most artistic form of racing. Not "beauty in motion" but "beautiful motion".
    I'm not sure where you heard that, but No, it's really not.

Glad to know I'm wrong, but I'd heard they were having all kinds of trouble getting sponsers and TV deals and I know I'd heard Sebastian Loeb's name on one of the teams on an endurance race I was listening to on Radio Le Mans, so I thought he'd moved on.
  • Going back and watching some of the old Group B rally races gives a new meaning to crazy.
    I think with today's superior saftey technology, it would be a great time for group B to return, but alas, I fear it is a misplaced hope.
    Yeah I think the high levels of death put paid to that. Also that level of risk was part of what made Group B Group B. It would be interesting to see the the effects that modern technology would have upon it. That and I don't think that type of driver exists any more we're no longer in the time where drivers are as mad as they used to be.

• edited July 2012
    Glad to know I'm wrong, but I'd heard they were having all kinds of trouble getting sponsers and TV deals and I know I'd heard Sebastian Loeb's name on one of the teams on an endurance race I was listening to on Radio Le Mans, so I thought he'd moved on.
    Nah, a lot of rally drivers(and really, racing drivers) will race in other formats, too. There was a V8 supercar driver in the NASCAR, Tanner Faust and Ken Block both do about a hundred different kinds of racing each, etc, etc.
    Yeah I think the high levels of death put paid to that. Also that level of risk was part of what made Group B Group B. It would be interesting to see the the effects that modern technology would have upon it. That and I don't think that type of driver exists any more we're no longer in the time where drivers are as mad as they used to be.
    Are you kidding? I know whole groups of people who are perfectly willing to strap themselves into home-built/modified, overpowered, V8 lunatic death machines, and go blasting through the bush at 100 klicks an hour mostly for laughs. There are plenty of people mad enough, they've just been slowly pushed from the modern rally scene, because it became just that little bit too boring for them.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Awesome racing with great commentary:

• I don't know that driver myself, but one of the big parts of sports car racing, especially in a pro-am context are non professional race drivers who bring a lot of money or sponsorship to a team. I can only imagine that is the case with this fellow.
  • The 24 hours of Le Mans is about to begin!
    Watch here 24h-lemans.com/live/en
    Listen here radiolemans.com
  • edited June 2014
    I am strongly tempted to make an incredibly bad financial decision, and buy two cars cheap locally and combine them. Those cars being a wrecked-up Jag XJR, which would donate and engine and parts to a bizzare Frankenstein monster ratrod that would be installing the thing into the body and chassis of a not-quite-a 37-ish Ford four door coupe that I don't actually quite know what it is or if it's even actually a ford.

Edit - Also a really bad idea because it would probably kill me really fast but it would look totally awesome while doing so.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2014
    Finnish Freak Rallys.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Looks like the Batmobile.
  • Wow, that noise.
  • I'm trying to get over the passing of another wrestler far too young by watching the 12 hours of Sebring. You can watch too if you like.
    imsa.com/camera/imsatv
  • The Formula E series championship came down to the final race in London. The second half of the race is pretty crazy, with the top two championship points leaders able to win by overtaking a car in front, or by setting the fastest lap (which gets a bonus two points):

If Formula E can stay this competitive, I think it's going to be another series every driver wants a go at, and a race every city is going to want to host.
  • Indycar has been having a great season outside of the first race at St. Petersburg, where aero bits were falling over the car all over the place because they weren't well secured. The racing is excellent, even on ovals which I usually find dreadfully boring. When Indycar posts the video of the race at Fontana from this weekend I will definitely link here, it's maybe the best oval race I've ever seen. The DW12 chasis may not be as out and out fancy as a Formula 1 car but it produces far better entertainment value racing than F1 has since 2010.
  • Indycar is driving around with car technology older than what you would find in most consumer cars today. I'd rather watch a rally or touring car race. This compounds on the point that there is no interest for Indycar outside of the US.
  • I don't know what about them is so out of date, but if an out of date car is making oval racing interesting to me for the first time since Dale Earnhardt Sr died, I'll take it.
  • Both Nascar and Indy Car do street circuits too, which is awesome.
  • edited June 2015
    Unless Sonoma is a street course and I don't know it, the main Sprint Cup series runs no street courses. They do run two road courses, Watkins Glenn and Sonoma. Perhaps you're thinking of the Tudor United Sports Car Championship, which is owned by Nascar?
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I have made it easy for everyone and put together a playlist of the official Indycar races uploaded to Youtube. I will add Fontana just as soon as they put it up, I'm guessing they're waiting for TV replays and whatnot to go through first.
  • Unless Sonoma is a street course and I don't know it, the main Sprint Cup series runs no street courses. They do run two road courses, Watkins Glenn and Sonoma.

Sorry, yeah, I mean road course. The words "Road" and "Street" are pretty interchangeable to me.
  • Unless Sonoma is a street course and I don't know it, the main Sprint Cup series runs no street courses. They do run two road courses, Watkins Glenn and Sonoma.

Sorry, yeah, I mean road course. The words "Road" and "Street" are pretty interchangeable to me.
    It's understandable, it only makes a difference when you're talking about racing, really. Road courses are dedicated non oval tracks built specifically for racing or what have you and street courses use public roads.