This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Discover awesome racing

Comments

• Well, they can't blame that on the new qualifying system.
  • I was watching some old F1 and I was reminded of the complete and total awesomeness of Murray Walker. I'm curious if anyone else has favorite race commentators. I have been idley watching Nascar while doing other things, and Jeff Gordon has been a high quality color man. He adds real racer's insight unlike Captain Boggity Boogity Boogity.
  • This looks like so much fun.
  • Dat Boo Car
  • Rym said:

Dat Boo Car

LOL MALIBOO!
  • I knew that Smart fortwo was gonna roll, but I love it anyway. :)
  • How the Batmobile (LeMelons) was made:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/MGUCd
  • http://www.roborace.com/

Daniel Simon chief design officer for FIA’s formula E. Automated vehicles.
  • Churba said:
    Put it in my calendar to compete with the one true Scott, should be earning again by then.
  • Of the things you can do with a car that doesn't have to have a human being in it.
  • edited March 2016

They're coming to Long Beach. Fuck it, I'm gonna apply for press credentials and/or a job.

Edit: Media inquiry sent. FrostWorks has just requested RoboRace's help in making an educational video series about the technology behind the cars, the science of racing, and the unique challenges involved in this new kind of racing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm interested into what kind of automation will be required. Will the vehicle determine it's location by reading markers embedded in the track, or will it be more like Google car with LIDAR and camera arrays.

I imagine if it's an embedded track that's potentially a lower hardware requirement, meaning lighter vehicles, lower feedback latencies, higher speeds.
  • I hope there's no technology embedded in the track besides the same timing mechanisms they have for human races. Put cameras in your car and learn to see the road like the self-driving cars.
  • Apreche said:

I hope there's no technology embedded in the track besides the same timing mechanisms they have for human races. Put cameras in your car and learn to see the road like the self-driving cars.

While I'm not so hot on the idea of robot F1, I agree with that. Guidance in the road, you might as well just watch slot cars.
  • Carbon fibre wheels should be standard on all cars, (combined with nitrogen filled tyres).

Makes so much sense.
  • sK0pe said:

Carbon fibre wheels should be standard on all cars, (combined with nitrogen filled tyres).

Makes so much sense.

Not really. Nitrogen fills are only useful when you're driving your car hard, for most normal driving the benefit of keeping more stable tyre pressure and lower tyre temps is practically zero. The difference in tyre wear is minimal, the difference in pressure loss is tiny(only about three percent), and most of the other claimed benefits are pretty much just snake oil. Roadside repair becomes difficult without carrying a nitrogen tank about, and every time you want to top off your tyres, you have to take it to a mechanic or service station with the nitrogen filling equipment, which isn't that common.

You're basically paying 5-10 bucks per tyre per fill, for very little additional benefit, and extra drawbacks.
  • If you drive long distances frequently, it's probably worth thhe extra money. Especially if maybe your car is always fully loaded, or you have a van. Also if you were in a situation where you need to refill, doesn't matter if you don't have nitrogen, just use normal air. Filling with nitrogen is a fuel saving with the assumption you're not going to burst a tyre.

Carbon fibre wheels, or any weight saving product should be a default. Problem is cost.

• edited April 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

If you drive long distances frequently, it's probably worth thhe extra money. Especially if maybe your car is always fully loaded, or you have a van. Also if you were in a situation where you need to refill, doesn't matter if you don't have nitrogen, just use normal air. Filling with nitrogen is a fuel saving with the assumption you're not going to burst a tyre.

Nope - The saving is minuscule, and eliminated entirely assuming you check your tyre pressure semi-regularly, like you should be doing already. There is no other plausible mechanism other than tyre pressure for nitrogen-filled tyres to save you fuel. Some people will talk about the oxidization of the rubber and steel banding on the inside of the tyre, but your tyres will be well worn out on the outside before that ever becomes an issue.

If you really want to make a saving, buy a decent tyre pressure gauge(About 20-30 bucks), check your pressures regularly, and keep your tyres at the right pressure. Nitrogen tyres outside of racing(and even then, only tarmac racing) are pretty much just snake oil.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Carbon fibre wheels should be standard on all cars, (combined with nitrogen filled tyres).

Makes so much sense.

Not really. Nitrogen fills are only useful when you're driving your car hard, for most normal driving the benefit of keeping more stable tyre pressure and lower tyre temps is practically zero. The difference in tyre wear is minimal, the difference in pressure loss is tiny(only about three percent), and most of the other claimed benefits are pretty much just snake oil. Roadside repair becomes difficult without carrying a nitrogen tank about, and every time you want to top off your tyres, you have to take it to a mechanic or service station with the nitrogen filling equipment, which isn't that common.

You're basically paying 5-10 bucks per tyre per fill, for very little additional benefit, and extra drawbacks.
    I use to get my tyres filled with nitrogen when I was up north in Karratha, most days were over 40 and usually hit 50C. The regular drive from Karratha to Port Hedland during the day was the sweaty situation.

I had to change tyres quite often and one time a tyre burst between phone coverage areas. had to change the wheel while all the metal (screws and all) were enlarged. I'm pretty sure road temps were way higher and I got blisters from just holding the tyre iron.
    Luckily a guy stopped and helped jump on the tyre iron to loosen the wheel nuts.

I started filling with nitrogen after that and didn't have problems, but that's not conclusive by any means.

But daily in a suburban area or city in regular temps it doesn't make sense I agree.

However the carbon fibre structure does make sense, the majority of structurally sound objects are hollow with fairly rigid but flexible walls.
  • sK0pe said:

But daily in a suburban area or city in regular temps it doesn't make sense I agree.

I agree also.

Why I gave the caveat of driving long distance and under full loads. Also maintaining tyre pressure is a matter of technology. Modern cars have a built in pressure guages. Not all. But if absolute effiency is a priority, it's something as a consumer you should very much consider.

• Dazzle369 said:

sK0pe said:

I agree also.

Why I gave the caveat of driving long distance and under full loads. Also maintaining tyre pressure is a matter of technology. Modern cars have a built in pressure guages. Not all. But if absolute effiency is a priority, it's something as a consumer you should very much consider.

You can get caps that connect to your phone via bluetooth now, too, if you've got an older or cheaper car without that feature.

To be honest, though I just check my pressures once a month, or when I wash it. It's not even a weekly job, and I'm doing it more than necessary checking it monthly - I just don't fully trust the cheap light truck tyres I've got on the Mighty Van.
  • Goodbye new F1 quali, we hardly knew ya.

• Indycar has posted the race from the Phoenix "oval"
    Is anyone else here following Indy? I continue to wave the flag that it's the best open wheel racing going, but I don't see a lot of comments when I post links.
  • Oval track racing, especially short track ovals, are just boring for me to watch for more than about 10 minutes. I'm not making any comments about the driver skill or anything, it just makes my head spin to watch it for very long.
  • Neo said:

Oval track racing, especially short track ovals, are just boring for me to watch for more than about 10 minutes. I'm not making any comments about the driver skill or anything, it just makes my head spin to watch it for very long.

That's fair, and I'll admit that the Phoenix oval didn't produce the highs of the Indy 500 and the race at Fontana last year, but give their road course racing a try. I posted the St. Petersberg race on the previous page
  • I like that the Formula E management are willing to do stupid stunts and try weird things with their cars: