This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

$25 super-ultra-portable "Raspberry Pi" computer to be used to teach programming to children

2»

Comments

• Someone on the Raspberry Pi forums mentioned running a MAME box off one of these.
    I'm totally making a cocktail table unit with this.
  • I would love to hack together some sort of pocket computer device out of one of these.
    Something like this:
    Which we thought were going to be the future of computing one day.
    Hell you could just use it as a super cheap HTPC.
  • Actually, it's perfect for Personal Area Networking.

Finally, we can all have Gargoyle Rigs.
  • Aw shit, these could be great for the end of the world if we need to set up an underground interwebs.
  • Holy shit, you guys. Fuck waiting till the end of the world. At $25 a pop, you could buy 200 of these for $500. For another $500, you could get USB WiFi cards for every single one of them. For another ~$1000, you could get deep-cycle batteries and solar panels for all of them. Then, you could mount them to telephone poles and build a huge mesh network, all for $2000. For $10000, you could probably build a mesh the size of downtown New York.
  • Holy shit, you guys. Fuck waiting till the end of the world. At $25 a pop, you could buy 200 of these for $500. For another $500, you could get USB WiFi cards for every single one of them. For another ~$1000, you could get deep-cycle batteries and solar panels for all of them. Then, you could mount them to telephone poles and build a huge mesh network, all for $2000. For $10000, you could probably build a mesh the size of downtown New York.
    I smell an interesting geek project here...
  • We need to start a wiki.
  • edited August 2011
    We need to start our own internetz.
    edit: Fuck. Make cantennas with the usb wifi cards for them. You could have a pretty decent network, even without the more expensive shit WUB was talking about.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Yeah, but the more expensive shit would make it almost entirely autonomous. Even without a connection to the mains, with solar panels and batteries,you could maintain the mesh in a power outage as long as one node had a landline connection to the Internet. Awwwww yeah.
  • True, but even without that, you could hook it up to your own generators or Main solar panels. Hell, you could use old satellite dishes to make long range line-of-site connections with these things.

Aw shit. What if we just Built a bunch of units like WUB was talking about and just dropped a shit-ton of them on Cuba, or North Korea?
  • Oh god, weaponized internet.
  • And some could have cell transmitters connected, so we could drop a bunch of cheap phones and some cheap laptops built out of these with them. Talk about a way to get a country to revolt against its government. THE INTERNET IS COMING FOR YOU KIM JONG IL.
  • I can't tell you how bad I want a handful of these.
  • It took long enough, but Pi 2 is out.
  • And it's gonna get Windows 10!
  • Gonna see how it runs, but it's certainly going to be a very easy base for cheap HTPCs. (Well, moreso than the original, at least).
  • edited February 2015
    If they get a steam build for this thing it would be amazing for the In-Home Streaming
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • If they get a steam build for this thing it would be amazing for the In-Home Streaming

If it can run Windows 10 and Steam was shown working in Windows 10, it's safe to say this is your Steam streaming box.

• Steam may have been shown running on Windows 10, but that doesn't mean it'll run on the new raspi. It would have to be compiled to run on ARM, not just x86.
  • Steam may have been shown running on Windows 10, but that doesn't mean it'll run on the new raspi. It would have to be compiled to run on ARM, not just x86.

I didn't realise it was on an ARM chip whoops.