This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wakfu the animated series

Comments

• Torrent? You heathenous demon. No wonder you're going to be left behind tomorrow. Use a real source next time.
    I thought you were Nine, but this makes me think you aren't...
  • edited May 2011
    Just watched the "Calm Blue" episode, which had me suddenly sit up and take notice at the beginning. Nox became way, way more interesting, and now I'm watching the show eagerly awaiting shit to hit fan levels. They were loosing me with the Boufbowl episodes for a while.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Just watched the "Calm Blue" episode, which had me suddenly sit up and take notice at the beginning. Nox became way, way more interesting, and now I'm watching the show eagerly awaiting shit to hit fan levels. They were loosing me with the Boufbowl episodes for a while.
    boufbowl is the worst part of the series. everything from calm blue up is fantastic
  • boufbowl is the worst part of the series. everything from calm blue up is fantastic
    I thought the Boufbowl episodes were fun.
  • I watched two episodes. The art is really shiny, but sometimes the animation is a little wooden like old 3D animation used to be. The plot is extremely generic JRPG fantasy shtick. The only character so far that I care about at all is Alibert. Everyone else I don't give two shits about. Might watch a few more episodes to see if something develops. It's not bad, but I don't know if it's erally worthy of this thread with almost 100 posts in it. If you're watching this, but you haven't watched Hajime no Ippo yet, you're doing it wrong.

Couldn't find a better size of that image, ah well.
  • edited May 2011

Couldn't find a better size of that image, ah well.
    You know, you can change the size of the image inside of the html tag. I like width=50% myself.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • She meant the picture of Scott itself. The tiny picture had to be blown up in order to fit the demotivational poster size.
  • It's not bad, but I don't know if it's really worthy of this thread with almost 100 posts in it.
    You mean just like the pony threads? Sure, didn't stop you though. It also wouldn't be the first time you didn't know things [GASP].
  • It's not bad, but I don't know if it's really worthy of this thread with almost 100 posts in it.
    You mean just like the pony threads? Sure, didn't stop you though. It also wouldn't be the first time you didn't know things [GASP].
    This show is nowhere close to Ponies. It's OK at best, having seen a few episodes. It definitely didn't grab my attention.
  • This show is nowhere close to Ponies.
    Really now? Why do you say that when you admit you haven't seen it?
    It's OK at best
    Same goes for MLP. Hell, MLP starts off far, far worse imho. It is saved by being a mostly episodic show and the rest of the show being very unlike the first episodes.
    It definitely didn't grab my attention.
    Not surprising. Akagi didn't grab you either, which is utterly unfathomable if you ask me. Then again, you being a board-gaming zealot...
  • There's something about the generic fantasy storyline that seems to grab a certain kind of geek by the heart and not let go. For me at least, there needs to be something more going on than another hero of destiny going on a quest with new friends to eventually defeat the big bad guy. At the very least the execution of the formula needs to be special in some way, like the way Ippo is a great execution of the shonen fighting formula. After two or three episodes Wakfu is shiny with the art, but is formulaic and unremarkable in other regards. If people are losing their shit, I gotta watch a few more just to see, but I'm not expecting much.
  • I'm five episodes in, and I'm not as enthusiastic as I thought I would be. I'm waiting for the actual storyline to happen. I liked the The Black Raven, but the Miss Ugly and Magnificent Five seems like filler episodes where I see no development with plot or characters even though I did like those weird pudding characters.
  • The plot drags really badly until around episode 15 where it picks up. A lot of the show felt like filler, which is a shame considering the high quality of the art.
  • There's something about the generic fantasy storyline that seems to grab a certain kind of geek by the heart and not let go.
    Yeah, if you're trying to imply what I think you're trying, then no. Stop being stupid, you can do better than that. The story's nothing to write home about (note how nothing about it has been written).
    If people are losing their shit, I gotta watch a few more just to see, but I'm not expecting much.
    Few people lose their shit over the show. The shit-losing crowd to normal crowd ratio's better than in the case of MLP. It's an entertaining cartoon with an overarching plot that kicks proper halfway through the first season before which it's fairly episodic showcasing artistic style, world building and just being generally entertaining (ex. Black Raven, Bread Golem, Vampyro and the Boufbowl episodes). The only reason Yugo's there is because he's the other half of the plot device (the show is totally about Evangelyne).
    I'm five episodes in, and I'm not as enthusiastic as I thought I would be.
    It's going to be 'okay' for a while. There's the Boufbowl arc and the training arc (for Yugo) to get through before it starts picking up speed to the final goal.
    A lot of the show felt like filler
    It is to some degree. Can't really blame them for showcasing their intellectual property. It's at least not sandwiched between plot-heavy arcs.
  • Holy shit. The episode when they get back to Sadida just rocked my world.
  • I actually liked the filler best, but that might be because the filler made everything else worse. During the filler, characters are fairly static. They don't change much from episode to episode, which lets you really get to know them. Also, the entire show has a very light tone, which is how it started. In the beginning, the people being turned to plants never seemed tragic, because it was so easily reversible.

In the last part of the show, however, all of the development, both for the characters and the plot, seemed crammed together. Not only did the filler use up time that would have allowed this development to be spread out, it also set a slow pace that clashed with the rapid change near the end. Even if the filler was just cut out and the plot was not spread out, it still would have set a faster pace that would have fit the rest of the show.

Character development felt completely rushed. In the beginning, Grovy is a womanizer.
    Later in the show, suddenly he and Evangeline have crushes on each other. It comes out of nowhere. Maybe there were signs that I would notice if I re-watched the series, but I never saw anything between brush-offs and doe-eyes.
    I like that development, but they really could have slowed it down a tad.

So anyways, I liked the adventure-a-day filler parts of the show best, but if they weren't there, the rest of the show would have been much better.
  • [...] it comes out of nowhere [...]
    Did you watch the show at all? It was build and hinted at greatly during the 'filler' episodes. I mean, DAT DANCE.gif.
  • Zack, calm down. There is no need to be so invective with your responses.
    Did you watch the show at all? It was build and hinted at greatly during the 'filler' episodes. I mean, DAT DANCE.gif.
    It's been like a year since I watched the first season. I know Grovy was always hitting on Eva, but I didn't remember Eva really lightening up to him in a slow, somewhat realistic manner. Maybe I just missed it.
  • edited June 2011
    I agree with Ikatono, the relationship thing sort of gains speed really, really quickly. Particularly since she seems to regard him as pretty dense for most of the series. Granted, it's about the only relationship that would work among the characters because Amalia is so young, but it feels a little 'shippy'. It's not a bad thing, just sort of abrupt.

Unrelated: Zack, no matter where you post, I can not quote you because it puts everything you type in reverse, and everything I type in reverse as well. This happens on any computer I am on, and even if you are in a series of quotes. Something is obviously wrong on your end.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
    This is my personal solution to the quoting problem; it works pretty well. You just have to press delete a few times.
  • Maybe I just missed it.
    Agree that DAT DANCE.gif was amazing.
    Amalia is so young
    Isn't Amalia only a year or two younger than Eva? The latter who is only 16 or so. Not like any of that even matters.
  • Just hit enter after the last line of text
    [...] it comes out of nowhere [...]
    like that
  • Unrelated: Zack, no matter where you post, I can not quote you because it puts everything you type in reverse, and everything I type in reverse as well. This happens on any computer I am on, and even if you are in a series of quotes. Something is obviously wrong on your end.
    This has been well established already. Zack, Rym, and Scott have completely ignored all requests to remove the RTL override character in his name.
  • edited June 2011
    Unrelated: Zack, no matter where you post, I can not quote you because it puts everything you type in reverse, and everything I type in reverse as well. This happens on any computer I am on, and even if you are in a series of quotes. Something is obviously wrong on your end.
    This has been well established already. Zack, Rym, and Scott have completely ignored all requests to remove the RTL override character in his name.
    Ooooooh. That's why it's happening. I only heard one complaint about it, but thought it was because somebody accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut or something to cause it. I'm just going to ban him again. What's the point in a banning if it's not for reals? Also, I fixed his name.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Many thanks.
  • Oh great, back to another game of "Spot Nine's New account".
  • What? You banned Nine again?
  • What? You banned Nine again?
    That's what the man said. I'm a little surprised, he wasn't even being too bad this time, and it's not like it was a secret that it was Nine(except for a little bit at the start, where he tried claiming to be Belgian, but it didn't stick around for long). On the other hand, I can see the point of Enforcing a prior ban - it is true, it's pointless if the ban amounts to nothing.