This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wakfu the animated series

12346»

Comments

• Watching it from the off, just gotten to season two when we get this gem:

"Just make sure you don't get surrounded by the enemy!"
    "Surrounded how?"
    "Well, like in the circle like you are in right now..."
    "Oh, so that's what I'm getting wrong about this whole "Circle the enemy" Plan!"

Oh, Grovey, you are the best character.
  • Oh, Grovey, you are the best character.
    His fantasies are also always great fun. ALSO DAT_DANCE.gif.
    *Gif of Grovey throwing Rubalax this way and that*
    Oh, Grovey, you are the best character.
    His fantasies are also always great fun. ALSO DAT_DANCE.gif.
    Why isn't there a gif of that DDR dance?
  • Why isn't there a gif of that DDR dance?
    DDR dance? And have you looked hard enough?
  • Penny Arcade has discovered Wakfu
  • If so, what's your full, honest, unbiased opinion about it?
  • Apreche said:

I watched two episodes. The art is really shiny, but sometimes the animation is a little wooden like old 3D animation used to be. The plot is extremely generic JRPG fantasy shtick. The only character so far that I care about at all is Alibert. Everyone else I don't give two shits about. Might watch a few more episodes to see if something develops. It's not bad, but I don't know if it's really worthy of this thread with almost 100 posts in it. If you're watching this, but you haven't watched Hajime no Ippo yet, you're doing it wrong.

I agree. The only character that was decent was Nox, and the first season only picked up after episode 15. I don't understand why so many audiences are too focused on the "rhetorical" aspects of an anime, a show, or a movie, such as CGI effects, art style, character design, etc.

Thank goodness I joined Front Row Crew! I've been desperately searching the Internet for people who don't evaluate shows based solely on their technical merits but also their more literary merits.
  • Well, look at videogames. A lot of "games journalism" focuses on how much money games make and technical aspects, without reviewing things like "gameplay."
  • edited August 2014
    Rym said:

Well, look at videogames. A lot of "games journalism" focuses on how much money games make and technical aspects, without reviewing things like "gameplay."

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the fact that if you give a game that people are hyped for a bad review, or a game by someone people don't like or that people don't like the look of a good review, basically you're going to get abused and accused of being a shitty games journalist and/or being on the take from XYZ publisher for as long as people remember you exist. Oh, and if you go with popular opinion, you're accused of either pandering, being a corporate shill for that company trying to hype people, or both.

The safest thing to cover so that you don't get fucking death threats are the aspects where you can say "X is X, here's where that data is, Y is what this means, and this is all concrete fact and nothing that might threaten your treasured opinions."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rym said:

Well, look at videogames. A lot of "games journalism" focuses on how much money games make and technical aspects, without reviewing things like "gameplay."

That's quite sad. I normally don't trust most reviews, unless the reviews are actually talking about the truly defining aspects of whatever medium it's reviewing.
  • Wakfu coming to Netflix. Pretty cool that due to the Kickstarter, it will be available to more audiences.

I'm still tempted to get all those damn figures for the game, but I know better. For now.
  • Oh cool, I acquired that show and watched a few eps but meant to watch more and now I can do it "legitly"
  • Aww, so pumped for this; going to try and get my coworkers in on the show
  • Daikun said:

Thoughts on the show?

It's a somewhat generic fantasy story in a very original world and it's beautifully animated. You should watch it.

• I'll probably start watching it for realz tonight should be good for something in the background until it starts getting good in the second half :-p
  • Man, the english dub is pretty bad, or maybe it's my roku delaying the sound slightly.
  • edited September 2014
    Watching it on my phone. Seems fine. Don't really care for the voice of Ruel Stroud. It's pretty annoying.

Edit: Just realized why I find his voice annoying. It sounds like Strongbad. Ugh.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • So far, the best thing this show has is gloriously animated food.
  • yeeeah, I switched to the Spanish w/subs around ep. 3. Since I can't speak Spanish, I don't know if they're bad.
  • Original French is fine. I love hearing their pronunciations of proper nouns.
  • edited September 2014
    I like the french track too, its just not on netflix (or at least not when I was watching).
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • yea I thought it was really funny that netflix does not have the french track...
  • Ah. I didn't know that. I'll watch the dub for now. If I want my French, I'll wait for my Kickstarter Boo-Ray.