This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Yeah, this news was from last night. I don't think it will change anything except it will put $8.5 billion in eBay's pocket. I'm more interested to see what eBay does with that money than what MS does with Skype. They'll probably just do boring shit like integrate it with Windows Phone 7, or hook it up to Windows Live and/or XBox Live, or build it out to compete with Google Voice.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Skype on Xbox live might be pretty cool actually.
  • Kinect plus skype has some potential to be pretty awesome.
  • I read somewhere both Google and Apple were looking to buy Skype.
  • Skype on Xbox live might be pretty cool actually.
    Merging Skype IDs and Microsoft ID could be good. Imagine if in-game voice chat was using Skype, but you didn't even realize it. That would beat out Steam's voice chat.
  • I read somewhere both Google and Apple were looking to buy Skype.
    They lost.
  • Skype's UI has gotten progressively worse over each iteration. Who knows, maybe Microsoft will actually unfuck it.
  • Skype's UI has gotten progressively worse over each iteration. Who knows, maybe Microsoft will actually unfuck it.
    We'll have to wait and see on that one.
    This is pretty much how I feel about the situation too. At this point, the only direction Skype can go is up, unless Microsoft does something really dumb, like end support for Linux, Mac OS, or Android.
  • Imagine if in-game voice chat was using Skype, but you didn't even realize it. That would beat out Steam's voice chat.
    Steam already uses the same codec. Haven't you noticed how much nicer it sounds?
  • Steam already uses the same codec. Haven't you noticed how much nicer it sounds?
    Not really.
  • There goes Skype for iPhone.
    Uh, no?
    Nope, it will just become like Microsoft Office for Macs, better and worse in numerous ways than the PC version.
  • I thought Skype was bought by an investment group from eBay in 2009. Or at least most of the shares. For about 1.9 billion. Flipping it 18 months later for 8.5 made a few people very rich, but I'm not sure eBay sees much of it.
  • I thought Skype was bought by an investment group from eBay in 2009. Or at least most of the shares. For about 1.9 billion. Flipping it 18 months later for 8.5 made a few people very rich, but I'm not sure eBay sees much of it.
    Wikipedia says they sold 70% of it. I'm assuming Microsoft now owns 100%.
  • Microsoft says more ads for Skype.

There goes that, then. If I were Google, I'd get to work on beefing up Google Talk. Now's their chance.
  • Microsoft says more ads for Skype.

There goes that, then. If I were Google, I'd get to work on beefing up Google Talk. Now's their chance.
    meh.
  • There goes Skype.
    lol