This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Irrational Fears

Comments

• Being trapped in a useless body is another fear.
  • I have a fear of falling on stage and knocking myself out.

No wait, that's not an irrational fear at all.
  • Being trapped in a useless body is another fear.
    I dunno. Would you rather be a perfectly clear mind stuck in a broken body, or have a healthy body but a degenerative mind disease?
  • I dunno. Would you rather be a perfectly clear mind stuck in a broken body, or have a healthy body but a degenerative mind disease?
    Neither.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't like heights, but only in certain circumstances. If I'm in a tall building and near a window, that's fine, but if I'm near an edge, even one with a railing, I'm afraid that I might suddenly jump. I have a fear that I'll suddenly and without reason do something stupid and probably self-destructive. If I walk by a fire alarm, I'm afraid that I'll pull it. Things like that.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I don't like heights, but only in certain circumstances. If I'm in a tall building and near a window, that's fine, but if I'm near an edge, even one with a railing, I'm afraid that I might suddenly jump. I have a fear that I'll suddenly and without reason do something stupid and probably self-destructive. If I walk by a fire alarm, I'm afraid that I'll pull it. Things like that.
    I second this.

Related, I have a fear of banking a plane more than 30 degrees. I just keep wondering what would happen if I just yanked to yoke all the way to one side and held it there.
  • I'd say my worst one is losing control of myself. I am very capable, and if I lose control, I could very seriously harm someone, possibly someone who doesn't deserve it. I keep myself on a very tight leash, but I know that I'm not perfect, and I could slip - and if I do, even for a very short period of time, and I hurt someone, that is a monstrous thing.
    I have lost control before, and it felt GOOD. Fucking great.
    Dexter?
  • edited May 2011
    Dexter?
    God no. The man is kept in check by his code, so that he doesn't get caught, and harming people ostensibly to do good for others, which often doesn't quite work out that way. I'm more interested in not harming people at all, if I can help it. Strength is nothing but a gun in the hand of a weak, soft coward, if you simply use it indiscriminately. Something to try and impose your whims on others to feel powerful, to promote yourself above others. That's unacceptable.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Spiders, but I sometimes get over it.

I don't have this fear any longer, but when I started driving lessons I would fear that oncoming cars would purposely swerve into my lane and hit me in a head on collision. I drove around a small neighborhood block for at least an hour before thinking about dealing with oncoming traffic. In Traffic School during a driving simulation I even feared their oncoming cars and slowed down.

I have an irrational fear that my cats will jump off the balcony onto a somewhat nearby tree when I'm not looking and we will lose them. All three have at least once fell off, so it's not too irrational.
  • Mediocrity.
    I'm afraid that I'm going down that path right now, and I don't have enough self-control to stop myself. When people tell me I'm awesome, it just makes me more afraid for when they find out I'm as useless as I think I am.

Also needles and heights, but those aren't as bad as they used to be.
  • edited May 2011
    I can't really think of anything I'm irrationally afraid of. I'm not particularly fond of the ideas of going to prison, getting physically injured, or developing a mental disorder... but I don't actively consider those possibilities. I'm also reasonably afraid of being totally broke and unemployed, but mostly because I was there for a while just after college. I guess I have some arachnophobia and general insect phobia at close quarters. I have had some vaguely entertaining dreams involving being eaten by sea monsters. So yeah... I'm scared as hell of being devoured by a kraken.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I'm afraid that everyone secretly hates being around me.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm afraid of dying a virgin. Not much I can do about it so I just move on as best as I can.
    got the sex part covered. It's been a while but I'm not going out like THAT kind of punk. You're totally shaggable, dude. You'll get there. You'll be a pussy magnet one day, if you so choose. You have the power!!!!!!
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • My appendix bursting. Heart attacks. Randomly getting shived. Eating rotten food.
  • got the sex part covered. It's been a while but I'm not going out like THAT kind of punk. You're totally shaggable, dude. You'll get there. You'll be a pussy magnet one day, if you so choose. You have the power!!!!!!
    Aye! So say we all. You're rough on the edges, but that's just youth and inexperience. You'll get those edges knocked off in time.
  • edited May 2011
    Trypophobia. The Fear of tiny asymetrical clumps of holes on anything. For example, This picture really freaks me out:
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited May 2011
    I'm afraid that everyone secretly hates being around me.
    This. More specifically, that I will push my friends away/lose them somehow, or that I'm not good enough. Unfortunately, this fear becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I end up shrinking away from people I used to trust because of silly things, and fearing that they don't care at all. I stopped telling my friends a lot of the things that happen to me, because I hate being a burden on people.
    I also have a weird related quirk that I don't go to events unless I'm invited. Not a phobia of it, exactly, but a distinct aversion that makes me really uncomfortable if I act outside of it.

I also have fears of snakes, needles, and most strangely, stairs. It doesn't really get in the way of everyday life, and eventually I get desensitized to particular sets of stairs, but I still really hate them. I prefer to climb hills or slopes to avoid stairs.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • This picture really freaks me out:
    Me too, but largely because I've seen lotustit.
  • Trypophobia. The Fear of tiny asymetrical clumps of holes on anything. For example, This picture really freaks me out:
    I hate things that look like that! Also, other strange scary textures.

Needles too. But I deal with them as they come.
  • You COULD do something. Wanna drive to Nevada?
    Shit, for that, I'D drive him to Nevada. In a big Red Landshark. Gotta do these things in style, don't we?
    I lack the funds to pay for a prostitute. They are rather expensive.
    Oh my God. Why the fuck did you bring that up. I just looked that shit up. Made me even more tryphohobic than I already am.
  • Clowns. Seriously, they're all evil and they're all out to get me in some manner or form.
    Oh my God. Why the fuck did you bring that up. I just looked that shit up. Made me even more tryphohobic than I already am.
    Ewwwww!
    4chan skillz.
  • I fear, in no particular order, needles, animals coming close to me(I love watching animals on TV or from a distance but the second even a tiny friendly dog comes near me I freak out), losing my curiosity, and death, particularly the thought that I and everyone I will ever love will eventually die and worse, it will all be wiped out by the sun eventually. I can't watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos because of it.
  • I have trypophobia. I didn't even know it had a name, and maybe that's why I didn't think about it when reading this thread.
  • Evidently I have trypophobia too. I didn't know it, and I've never thought about it, but looking at the pictures that come up when you google image search it is definitely giving me the creeps. That's gotta be some kind of evolutionary holdover or something, yeah?
  • I do have a fear that my apathy will one day consume me into being a lazy, talentless blob.
  • Coming in contact with any and all arthropods that are larger than a mosquito (with the possible exception of butterflies due to their fluttery flight patterns), any and all jellyfish even if beached, the floor of the sea or a lake or a canal. Forgetting my keys when I leave the house to the point where I'm tapping my pocket holding the keys frequently as I prepare to head out to make sure they're still there. Even going so far as to leave one foot inside the door upon leaving and not closing the door until I've heard or felt my keys in my pocket. I fear that stuff might fall out of my pockets when cycling, and sometimes when walking. Having a bird or bat or similar flying creature that I can't just put under a cup and toss outside accidentally finding itself in my room and freaking the fuck out (one of our cats once brought home a bat, which then proceeded to fly like mad through the living room). Snapping and harming someone else or myself, last time I went into a rage my lower arms ended up bleeding and leaving a trail of blood splatters to the bathroom.

And fuck yo lotuscrap. I always get itchy when I see those fucking seeds. Real plant or shooped don't matter.
  • Apparently I don't have trypohobia. I don't seem to have any phobia that I am aware of.