This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110517 - Diplomacy

edited May 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the fate of Europe with the classic Diplomacy. (For the record, our game ended with an all-way draw over five hours in). But first, we checked out the NYU Game Center's second annual No Quarter exhibit, Nintendo hates us, and we geekbite Space Chem.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Nintendo hates us and uses shitty region locking and DRM ideas in iterations of handhelds that didn't have it before? Oh, wow, where the fuck were you guys about three months prior to the 3DS getting released?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Oh, wow, where the fuck were you guys about three months prior to the 3DS getting released?
    I told Rym it was old news, but the new news about owning all your photos was relevant.
  • Nintendo hates us and uses shitty region locking and DRM ideas in iterations of handhelds that didn't have it before? Oh, wow, where the fuck were you guys about three months prior to the 3DS getting released?
    We'd talked about the handheld issues (except the content item) several times already. We hadn't talked about the lack of a hard drive on the Wii 2. Nintendo has gone full something at this point, and the lack of a hard drive is basically the final nail in the cross. ;^)
    I told Rym it was old news,
    Scott tells me things from that morning are old news, seeming always to forget that we're not a news show but a commentary show. ;^)
  • I told Rym it was old news, but the new news about owning all your photos was relevant.
    That entire EULA is disturbing. The concept that I could use features in a device that I have purchased in a natural manner (i.e. using the camera to take a photo) for my own use and then having a corporation enforce a draconian licensing clause and claim full commercial ownership (in perpetuity, no less!) over my work is chilling.

Almost as chilling as how long that sentence became, in fact.
  • People might hate on my next comment but "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess" does not age well if you have a high definition TV. :(
  • If you need a 7th player, either online or in person. I'd be very interested in playing. I'm rapidly crossing games off of my "need to get around to playing this" list in my mission to be a more educated board gaming blogger. Diplomacy is high up in the remaining list.
  • People might hate on my next comment but "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess" does not age well if you have a high definition TV. :(
    I'm of the opinion that most 3D games don't age that well period. 2D sprite-based games do seem to age much better.
  • I'm pretty sure the Gamecube read discs from the inside outwards (or outside inwards, whichever isn't the standard.).

You might need people to call in about the UFOs after the fact to make it seem realistic, such that not everyone who saw them was instantly able to get in touch, neither were the aliens so well synchronised.
  • I'm pretty sure the Gamecube read discs from the inside outwards (or outside inwards, whichever isn't the standard.).
    I read somewhere that that's actually wrong, it was just a weird assumption by some people.
  • Wait so who ended up playing Diplomacy?
  • Hurry the fuck up Rym and take my money, god damn it.
  • Awesome intro rant. 100% agree. Fuck Nintendo for region locking! Etrian Odyssey 3 was never released in PAL territories. But this is EXACTLY the knd of game i want to play on my DS. RPG in your pocket. I'm well past playing RPG on consoles, I would rather play a big flashy action game. RPG's can live in my DS now, have a quick session at nights or when I have 30 mins free.

So assuming I want a 3DS at some point, I'll need to import a UDS 3DS then get all my games from overseas. DAMN IT!!

Also, you *may* have missed a small detail about the Wii2. Yeah, it will probably have 8GB internal flash. But... You do know the rumoured name of the system is "Stream" right? Is there any chance that Nintendo could be using that storage space to allow you to basically pick a game from an online list and just start playing it, streaming the data as you play?

Yes, Stream most likely refers to streaming the data to that screen in the controller.. But who knows... They console IS brand new, so it could use new gaming/play models. Like On Live. The Wii version of that.

I too would buy a 3DS for Advance wars.
  • My personal goal is to get a UFO report in the local paper. I need Ideas for awesome things to do. I live in the suburbs, if that matters.
  • Weather balloon. Super-bright LED blinky.
  • I too would buy a 3DS for Advance wars.
  • Which site were you going to use to play Diplomacy online?
  • Alright kiddies, it's almost that time. Get your phone numbers ready!
  • The game reminds me a lot of Pax Britannica, an interesting little out of print board game that I had the pleasure of playing after tests in AP Government and Politics. Each player took a country (I was Germany) and tried to forge alliances and come out on top before the inevitable Great War. There was a more structured treaty system, and breaking a treaty was a particularly despicable Cassus Belli (pieces couldn't attack until war was declared).

Of course, we also played it over a month, so there was no problem about "fifteen minutes of downtime and then we'll start again". Two of my favorite memories of high school were:
    -Managing to avoid war between the US and Germany through out-of-game intimidation. I agreed to help secure Cuba in exchange for land rights in Panama (score!), and then never received my reward. A face to face confrontation nabbed me the Panama Canal as well as $10 every 5 years. To this day, I attribute that success to him being a foot shorter than me.

-Discovering a secret agreement between Russia and the United States that threatened all of Europe, and assembling an emergency coalition during English class. The Treaty of Mrs. Dobbins' Room ended up being one of my most celebrated achievements, and prevented a schism which may have started the war before the turn of the century, guaranteeing victory to the treacherous Japanese.
  • What was the scenario that left you uncertain about what the correct ruling would be?

When you have played more games of Diplomacy you will likely have far different opinions of the countries.
  • Where can I get the Diplomacy rules? My game group is playing it Saturday, but we're missing the rules insert.
  • edited June 2011
    Where can I get the Diplomacy rules? My game group is playing it Saturday, but we're missing the rules insert.
    Let me Google that for you. Third link is the PDF.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I got it. Checked Avalon Hill's website right after I posted that and got it.
  • Chances are you know it as "the game that ruins friendships"
    Interesting article on Grantland, of all places.