This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110519 - Total Recall

2»

Comments

• I think Last Action Hero got way more crap thrown at it than it deserved. I saw it years after it got its negative press, and it's a lot of fun! OK, so he kills tons of people in it and it's supposed to be some kind of Disney-esque movie, but whatever.
  • Last Action Hero would have been alot better if it was Arnold and his real movies.
  • Last Action Hero would have been alot better if it was Arnold and his real movies.
    If they made that now, I would see it in the theater.
    If they made that now, I would see it in the theater.
    I like how genre savvy the kid was, Well, at least in the movie in the movie.
  • but was more of a parody piece, and falls slightly short.
    It's an outright parody; there's really no denying that. I think that's why I like it so much; it didn't take itself too seriously.

It's not really fair to use Terminator 2 in these discussions; it's one of the best movies ever. It sort of goes without saying that it was Arnold's best role.
  • It sort of goes without saying that it was Arnold's best role.
    It was his best role as an actor, but not his best role as Ahnold. ;^)

• I would see that if it was actually made.

To be, or not to be... not to be.
  • It doesn't fit.... Hamlet was a pussy. Arnold is too kick ass.
  • It doesn't fit.... Hamlet was a pussy. Arnold is too kick ass.
    Pssst . . . that's kinda the joke.
  • What joke?
  • What joke?
  • What joke?
    Seriously?
  • edited May 2011
    Did I stutter?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Mentally, perhaps.
  • I would see that if it was actually made.
    Fuck, I forgot about that part.

I do remember "BIG...MAC...BETH" very vividly.

Man, I fucking loved that movie. I wonder if it's available to stream...
  • I would just like to announce: Last action Hero is available for Instant Streaming!
  • Although Terminator 2 had an excellent instrumental score, it was not devoid of the 90s trend to put in a topical song. I will forever associate Guns 'n' Roses "You Could Be Mine" with the movie. I think the song works great though. Doesn't take anything away from the scene for me.
  • I think Commando is my favorite dumb Arnie action flick. That stupid steel drum on the soundtrack cracks me up for some reason.

I adored Last Action Hero as a kid. I'm not sure if it holds up, but I think I'm okay just letting it stay awesome in my memory.
  • The Running Man was also a great Arnie movie... and who can forget him playing Conan for that matter?
  • Like most times when Scrym and Luke disagree, I'll have to agree with Luke about the movies. Just because a movie is a period piece doesn't mean that it's timeless or that it can't be recognized for being filmed in a particular era. *snip*
    I was only talking about costume design in movies, but of course there is also all of the other things that you mention. In the podcast Scott was talking mostly of views of technology, costume, music, etc as seen by the camera, and not the camera technique that captures the objects on set.

But thanks for backing up my point.
  • I say that Last Action Hero was ruined by the kid because there are moments of absolute brilliance like the Stallone in Terminator 2 standee, but the very weakest parts of the movie involve the kid. It would be possible, if we were to time travel back to the shoot, to make a much better version of the movie, which in my mind would have very little involvement from the kid.
  • According to the bits mentioned in this article, they are remaking Total Recall as not Total Recall. Bizarre.