This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My internship

dsfdsf
edited May 2011 in Technology
I should just be thankful for the resume bullet and not worry about being paid for my work.

AMIRITEGAIZ!?

Comments

• I should just be thankful for the resume bullet and not worry about being paid for my work.
    Are they abusing your slave labor?
  • Most Unpaid Internships are Illegal

I only work for free when I can call it volunteering.
  • AMIRITEGAIZ!?
    Yes.
    Most Unpaid Internships are Illegal
    I don't doubt that for a second.
  • Be appreciative for the experience, but don't stay there forever. You needs ta' eat.
  • I should just be thankful for the resume bullet and not worry about being paid for my work.
    Is it completely unpaid, or are you just paid a pittance? As Scott said, it's probably illegal if they aren't at least paying you minimum wage.
  • Also when I was interning I had a paid job, sure it wasn't a job to write home about, but it paid the bills. Luckily the places I interned for were cool and understanding and let me take off whenever paid work came around.
  • It's completely unpaid. Actually I had to pay my university so I could get credits for doing it so technically I am paying them to develop software. Example, I just developed a data structure that parses a Csv file created in excel and puts it into a object which is instantiated in an array then parsed put into SQL statements, checked to majesty's their are no injection attacks like someone named 1=1 jonny drop table and then commits it to the database. I really like the people I work for, they are hella cool, my problem is that society accepts this scenario.
  • my problem is that society accepts this scenario.
    Only your society. Our society doesn't do such shit like internships and waiting jobs without wage.
  • edited May 2011
    Luckily the places I interned for were cool and understanding and let me take off whenever paid work came around
    We are always nice to our slaves.
    edit: Also, you know what makes me feel better about internships, both that I did, and that I have other people do for me? People who do the internships typically learn a lot and get better at what they do. I know I did, and I enjoy seeing the interns go on to better things. (Or getting hired, as happens from time to time.)
    I've decided that it's better for interns to be in school, and internship is something they do over the summer or on their free days. I felt quite guilty whenever we had a graduated person working for free. They did get something out of it, but at the same time, it feels a little weird.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2011
    Luckily the places I interned for were cool and understanding and let me take off whenever paid work came around
    We are always nice to our slaves.
    You were :-)
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • edited May 2011
    It's completely unpaid. Actually I had to pay my university so I could get credits for doing it so technically I am paying them to develop software. Example, I just developed a data structure that parses a Csv file created in excel and puts it into a object which is instantiated in an array then parsed put into SQL statements, checked to majesty's their are no injection attacks like someone named 1=1 jonny drop table and then commits it to the database. I really like the people I work for, they are hella cool, my problem is that society accepts this scenario.
    Sounds like a course credit loophole... This might be why they can get away with not paying you anything, but it's still sketchy sounding.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Just remember not to holster your +1 Resume of Software Development Experience. Whenever you're not in the office (or even while you're there, if you've got the sack), keep prowling around your university's job listing/mailing list/anywhere else you can look.
  • Sounds like a course credit loophole... This might be why they can get away with not paying you anything, but it's still sketchy sounding.
    My university has a policy like that. I had an "internship" this past semester with a professor where I wrote code to do Fourier transforms on a GPU, but he gave me the option to take it as a "class" of independent study instead of being paid, which I gladly took, for two reasons. First, it meant I could drop a class, take this, and still be a full time student, with no loss in credits. Second, in every case I have seen, professors are much more lenient with you if you are working for credit than if you are being paid. For instance, if you are being paid $XX.00 per hour to do a task, but you have to push it back because of an exam or other project, they will likely be upset, as you essentially aren't earning the money they're paying you. But if it's a for credit scenario (such as my case), they are very willing to work with you. I was given several deadline extensions (particularly around finals), as he knew that my other classes were extremely time consuming, and we just made up for it with a couple of days of solid work after I finished my last exam.

That said, for this summer I have a job working in a physics lab on campus, and I will be paid, which is going to be very nice. Time to build that desktop. (A side note, however: come this fall, I intend to return to the internship I had this semester, for credit again, as that is much more convenient during the year).

And as a last note, maybe I'm an exception, but in the deluge of emails I get from the listserv from my college, I've seen only a single unpaid internship advertised, and the listserv made a very prominent notice of this in all caps in the title. Maybe the greater DC area just has more people willing to pay, but I really haven't had a problem with this so far (looking in physics/CS).
  • dsfdsf
    edited May 2011
    Also, Bruce, you wouldn't happen to be working in the nyc area, would you? I tend to get a lot of opportunities from my school's mailing list, and I'd gladly pass it along if you're looking for something better.
    Nope, Philadelphia. Well, I'm not trying to complain too much, I would take the opportunity again if i had the chance to go back in time. It just struck me that the concept for doing such highly technical white collar work would go unpaid is telling of our society.
    Post edited by dsf on