This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Amazon Mp3 Store

edited May 2011 in Technology
I think the Amazon Mp3 store is the best place to legally buy digital music, at least in the US. There are so many free samplers that you can download to discover new artists, and there are crazy sales. I just happened to look and see that the new Lady Gaga album is $.99 through today. I have next to no interest in her, but for a dollar I am definitely willing to give it a try, and every month they have a huge selection of albums for $5. The best thing is since I have an Android phone, I can have all the music I buy from this point forward sit in the cloud and just pull it down with their Cloud Player via my unlimited data access. I'll post links to some samplers I really like later, but I am curious what others think about the store, its pricing, and all that good stuff.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I just happened to look and see that the new Lady Gaga album is $.99 through today. I have next to no interest in her, but for a dollar I am definitely willing to give it a try.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • It worked for me just fine.
  • edited May 2011
    [T]he new Lady Gaga album is $.99 through today
    Sounds like they know exactly how much it's worth.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • A dollar an album is about what I'd pay for music. Tops.
    Working musicians everywhere salute you.
  • edited May 2011
    Working musicians everywhere salute you.
    Ugh.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Working musicians everywhere are curled up in their Snuggies wishing they got anything like a dollar everytime someone bought their albums through most distribution channels.
    FTFY
  • I listen to Pandora almost exclusively now.
  • edited May 2011
    Working a job where I cannot reasonably have access to my headphones during work hours, I'm more interested in the Amazon Cloud service they launched along with the store. It's a great thing for when I want a solid block of *insert artist name here* rather than the hodge-podge Pandora can turn into.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited May 2011
    Try out Grooveshark. It's basically a choose your own pandora. I also know there's a site that allows you to stream your music from your PC, wherever it may be, to any web enabled device. My co-worker showed me it yesterday. I'll have to ask him for the name again.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited May 2011
    I also know there's a site that allows you to stream your music from your PC, wherever it may be, to any web enabled device. My co-worker showed me it yesterday. I'll have to ask him for the name again.
    I used to use Simplify Media for this, but Google bought it and now it's gone. I suspect Google will be introducing their own, amazing version eventually.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I also know there's a site that allows you to stream your music from your PC, wherever it may be, to any web enabled device. My co-worker showed me it yesterday. I'll have to ask him for the name again.
    I used to use Simplify Media for this, but Google bought it and now it's gone. I suspect Google will be introducing their own, amazing version eventually.
    *cough*
  • And when I said "eventually" I really meant "they already have because they're Google."
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, I've been experimenting with Amazon Cloud Store/Google Music but to me it seems sort of like a solution in search for a problem. The typical use case as I understand it is:
    Listen to your music anywhere you want via your smartphone
    But, er, this is already something I do by putting my music onto my smartphone. With cloud storage I'm now dependent on a mobile broadband connection, but I can think of several every-day scenarios where I do not have good 3G cellular service (for reference, I'm a Verizon customer):
    1. Riding the subway
    2. Riding an Amtrak train anywhere North of like Poughkeepsie
    3. Sitting in my bedroom in Queens (I'm leaving VZW for just this reason)
    So suddenly I'm trading the ability to actually listen to my music anywhere for the opportunity to, well, not. Also: believe me when I say an Amtrak ride without music is much akin to a layer of hell, dammed for eternity to listen to the snoring, music and phone conversations of those around you (EDGE counts for voice.)

EDIT: That said: yes, Amazon is the best place to buy music. I pretty much buy all my music there now.
    Post edited by konistehrad on