This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Terraria

edited May 2011 in Video Games
It is just 2D Minecraft, but with a far more robust arcade aspect, including bosses. I just got owned by the Eye of Cthulu, which is a giant flying eyeball. There's less emphasis on building, more on exploring. There are several different biomes and a general chain of events/areas with escalating difficulty. But it cops a ton from Minecraft, including straight ripping off certain crafting recipes.

Comments

• It is just 3D Minecraft
    I fail to see that here. <_
  • edited May 2011
    Do you have a server up Jason, and/or are you planning on one?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited May 2011
    I don't understand why people compare Terraria to Minecraft so unfavorably. Its like people are worried about being labeled apostate if they don't immediately denounce it to maintain some kind of gamer cred.

Its not even trying to do the same thing. Its more like a Roguelike.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Do you have a server up Jason, and/or are you planning on one?
    Nope, but I would welcome someone else to host one.

The server sucks. I haven't been able to get it to work yet, except with Hamachi.
  • Do you have a server up Jason, and/or are you planning on one?
    Nope, but I would welcome someone else to host one.

The server sucks. I haven't been able to get it to work yet, except with Hamachi.
    And even then, combat is a bitch with the slightest lag.
  • Its more like a Roguelike.
    Respawn != roguelike.
  • This game fills a very important niche in my gaming world. I've been needing a game that combines Spelunky and Minecraft.
  • It's like clonk.
  • Here's my little castle. The secret underground library passageway on the bottom left leads to my crazy arms dealer hermit.

The sunflowers are there because I'm contemplating flooding the world with Corruption and having my castle be the only untainted bastion remaining.
  • That's a nice looking place. Unlike some Joe Boomer's I know who can't design a house worth shit. What are those first two items though.
  • It's like clonk.
    Really?

Maybe I should check their website for more infooooOOOHMYGAH
  • edited May 2011
    Anybody interested in hosting a multiplayer server tonight? I think it will support eight people. I'd be down for some slime-hunting action plus Skype.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • That's a nice looking place. Unlike some Joe Boomer's I know who can't design a house worth shit. What are those first two items though.
    Thanks =). And those two are the Vine Whip (an upgrade to the hookshot that lets you shoot three independent chains, and hang in the middle of them) and the Sunfury, a flail you get off the bone dragons in Hell. It just about 2-shots the Eater of Worlds.
    I'm moving underground along with my loot. My house up above is just a meager shanty so that the NPCs can do my bidding.

Looks like the first two items are the ivy whip and the sunfury.
  • It just about 2-shots the Eater of Worlds.
    What. The. Fucking. Shit. That shit's bananas.
  • So is this a crafting game or a finding game?
  • half the best stuff you craft, the other half you find (but you need that good crafted stuff to find the good finding stuff).
  • half the best stuff you craft, the other half you find (but you need that good crafted stuff to find the good finding stuff).
    So if I only like a little crafting I might enjoy this game.
  • The crafting is just [GATHER INGREDIENTS] followed by [SPAM MOUSE CLICKS AT THE APPROPRIATE MENU ITEM], which is the usual method of implementing crafting. At least it's better than Minecraft's crafting.
  • edited May 2011
    So is this a crafting game or a finding game?
    The crafting is basically a system for leveling up. You kill a boss. Instead of gaining a level and, say, choosing to raise your defense or attack or whatever, you get some crafting bits that you can then choose to craft into slightly better armor or a slightly better weapon, or something like that. It's very much a game of exploration and fighting. Crafting and building are minigames at best. Yeah, you can build a kinda cool looking castle or whatever, but it's not a building/crafting game in the same way Minecraft is.
    What. The. Fucking. Shit. That shit's bananas.
    I'm kinda hoping they'll add more content soon, as I can't actually use my best equipment and still have fun with the game. The last thing I came up with was to travel the entire distance of Hell (on a medium map) in one go, without blocking off lava pools. That was fun, but there's only so many times you can do that before it gets old. And it's not like I played this game obsessively or anything - it took about 30 hours to "beat" the game. And that was with dicking around time; I'm sure someone dedicated to it could do it in much less.

A few more high-end bosses would not go amiss.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • I might actually buy this. I wonder if users can mod it? Being able to add creatures would be cool.
  • I might actually buy this. I wonder if users can mod it? Being able to add creatures would be cool.
    I have already found an HD fix and a mapping utility. There are also tutorials for modding the texture packs.
  • HD fix
    It's a sprite game god dammit, and your 1024x768 resolution is far from 'HD'.
  • @Nineless: My resolution is 1920x1080. I would like to play in a widescreen format rather than a 4:3 box.

Also, weren't you banned? You certainly aren't engendering goodwill by being a complete dick in every thread.
  • I love you and hate you guys. This thread has caused me to be infected with "The Fever". I'm going to play the shit out of this once I get off of work today!
  • I love you and hate you guys. This thread has caused me to be infected with "The Fever". I'm going to play the shit out of this once I get off of work today!
    I had the day off and that is all I've been doing.
  • I do have to sleep tonight at some point. I'm going to be hanging out with the girlfriend tomorrow and we need to get up early to get to dog training. Early being 10AM PST considering we normally work at 1145AM pst.

I've been reading over the wiki like a mad man. The crafting system seems robust enough and I think the adventur parts will play well enough. The only complaint I can see growing after about 20-30 minutes of play is the the blocks are a lil too small. I may just adjust after enough play or I could be spoiled forever by MineCraft.
  • It's an adventure game... With a wiki. That's pretty much required to get anywhere, because nowhere does it hint at what crafting recipes might exist, nor give you real direction. I couldn't figure out how to make effective combat weaponry, I couldn't figure out how to build a 'house' or what the game's definition of walls was, and then I restarted it as a multiplayer server so my friend could show me the ropes... and I immediately died a half dozen times to a boss that his mere presence had summoned. Once I dared peek at the wiki, it pretty much gave away /all/ of the game's secrets right off the bat; Thus the game is spoiled, without any adventure having been had.

So long, Terraria. Cool concept, terrible implementation.
  • edited May 2011
    :/

I've been playing without the wiki just to prove a point.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Yeah, I thought it was pretty intuitive, especially since there's that nice NPC near you that gives you tips that, if you read them, actually give you some neat tips about what to do.