This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dubstep; recomendations, discussions, and reviews

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
So, I was in the "things of your day" when I saw this "how to dance to dubstep" meme. I listened to some of those videos and discovered that I, in fact, quite enjoy the genre. So, like the diligent boy I was, searched the forum for some threads about the genre. To my utter shock, I saw there were no discussions nor recommendations. I ask you now to rectify this with some good dubstep recommendations for me, if you would.

tl;dr: Gimmie dubstep.

(Also, feel free to discuss or whatever)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    You should totally check out this mo-town dubstep remix,

I reckon that there is an algorithm that goes round YouTube converting every song into dubstep. Just try, almost everything has a d-step remix. Also you should check out some of the Deadmau5 dubstep, it is clean and well done, apparently something dubstep fans don't value.

EDIT: How many dubstep fans does it take to move an old coach?
    Twelve, two to life and ten to stand around commenting how dirty and heavy it is.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • A couple of my friends recently introduced me to this.
  • edited May 2011
    To my utter shock, I saw there were no discussions nor recommendations.
    Refer to the Electronic Music thread, especially the latter posts. One thing you should note is that there are two fairly different sub-genres of dubstep that both call themselves "dubstep." Artists like Rusko, Skrillex, and Bassnectar make very different music from artists like Kode9, Burial, and Zomby.

For example, this is dubstep:

But this is called dubstep also:
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2011
    So most dubstep I've heard has more traditional, upbeat electronica bits mixed in the dirty, grindy, floppy bassline bits (I always feel like I'm talking about sex when I describe dubstep). Can anyone point me at some that tends more towards the grindy side and isn't really boring like Deadmau5?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • So most dubstep I've heard has more traditional, upbeat electronica bits mixed in the dirty, grindy, floppy bassline bits (I always feel like I'm talking about sex when I describe dubstep). Can anyone point me at some that tends more towards the grindy side and isn't really boring like Deadmau5?
    What do you think of that Flux Pavilion track I posted?
  • It's definitely the closest to what I'm looking for in the thread so far. This song is another good example:

I could just put these songs through Pandora or Last.fm, but I find I always get new and interesting recommendations on this forum anyway.
  • edited May 2011
    I love me some dubstep. I've got a few reposts from the Electronic music thread and a couple more I like. Sail already reposted Flux Pavillion, which is one of my faves, so there's another one in the set for you. :P
    If you want to hear a lot of different stuff, check out UKFDubstep's channel on Youtube.

I want to start off with one of the main songs I use to show my friends Dubstep. Droppage at 0:45:

More Flux Pavillion! Good stuff! Tastiness around 0:18:

Awesome drop at around 0:55:

Pendulum is amazing. Drop at 0:40:

And more Pendulum. This one isn't really Dub, but it's got the same feel. Fun starts at 1:00:

It's hard to categorize Glitch Mob, but I think you might like it. Driving bit begins at 1:05 or so, next bit kicks in about 2:00:
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Double post because of NEW Big Gigantic, quite Dub-worthy.

Drop @ 1:00:

• This track is all 8-bit dubstep fun times.
  • edited July 2011

Does this count as dubstep?
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on

• Nah, this is real dubstep.
  • WUB WUB WUB WUB
  • WUB WUB WUB WUB
    WOBBUH---WOB WOBBA-WOB
  • ---
    THAT DROP WAS SIIIIIIICK
  • edited July 2011
    Together now!
    #####\ _ /#####
    #( )# | _( )__ | #( )# WOBBUH---WOB WOBBA-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB
    ##### | /_ / | #####
    #" "# | ___m/I_ //_____ | #" "#
    # O # |____#-x.\ /++m\ /.x-#____| # O #
    #m.m# | /" \ ///###\\\ / "\ | #m.m#
    #####/ ######/ \###### \#####
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited July 2011
    Together now!
    DJ
    \ooo/ / -- , -- \ \ooo/
    Post edited by Byron on
  • edited July 2011
    Not quite dubstep, but aimed at Ro...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Not quite dubstep, but aimed at Ro...
    (°∀°)

Added to my Nyan playlist. I also like this one, I wish it was longer.

• This is how I doodle to dubstep:

• Nah, this is real dubstep.
  • That is possibly the funniest thing I've seen all week.
  • I still say dubstep should be renamed wubstep.
  • I must admit that dubstep is quite an acquired taste. It reminds me of 20th-century concrete music. And I've never been able to listen to concrete music for more than a couple of minutes.
  • edited December 2011

Post edited by Victor Frost on