This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

King Arthur's Gold: The incestuous child of Ace of Spades and Terraria

edited June 2011 in Video Games

King Arthur's Gold is a competitive Minecraft Ace of Spades Terraria clone buildy breaky game where two teams vie to horde the most gold. Each team tries to mine and protect their gold from the other team's knights and archers. It's FREE, has Linux dedicated servers, and Linux/Windows clients. So, who is interested in getting a game night going with this? 32 64 person multiplayer (although, who knows how well the netcode works, Scott).
Linky
H10XFuCBmQs

Comments

• The U.S. Jason General's Warning: Nobody get too excited. Andrew will play this game once, mysteriously disappear, and seven days later declare the game dead. Then he will post a new one with just as much fervor. The wheel turns and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
  • me! I'll check it out when I get home.
  • It's free and has potential. Prediction: broken networking.
  • edited June 2011
    Here is a newer video. Looks like you can build siege engines as well! Also, Knights have bomberman-like bombs.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The wheel turns and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
    Take your Wheel of Time references and GTFO - George R.R. Martin is my master now.

As for the game, I played a couple of rounds the other day, and it seemed broken that the opposing team could just build a skybridge out of ladders and drop from the top of the map straight into the enemy home base. They need to implement falling damage ASAP.
  • As for the game, I played a couple of rounds the other day, and it seemed broken that the opposing team could just build a skybridge out of ladders and drop from the top of the map straight into the enemy home base.
    Apparently there is a server flag you can set to enable falling damage, although without even playing the game I have no idea if it even works.
  • So I downloaded the game.. any plan?
  • edited June 2011
    The Master Server is down due to RPS linking to the game. Actually, you can still play if you know the server IP but someone needs to host a server for us. I couldn't get the Linux client to work and I'm dual booting with windows.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The Master Server is down due to RPS linking to the game. Actually, you can still play if you know the server IP but someone needs to host a server for us. I couldn't get the Linux client to work and I'm dual booting with windows.
    Wait, does this mean my prediction was accurate?
  • Wait, does this mean my prediction was accurate?
    Only in the sense that you have to know a server that exists and manually enter the IP.
  • 97.107.135.176:50301
  • A bunch of us are playing, gogogogog
  • edited June 2011
    Ok, game has potential, but don't think I'll invest any more into it.

Basically in the current state it's kinda like playing 2d platform side view Starcraft without a commander. Everyone controls just one unit and can change between the three unit types at base. To make the game work you need lots of players. Then some people basically have to do the job of SCVs. Boring manual labor of just digging up gold. Everyone else has to play a game of fighting with swords, arrows, and bombs in order to defend the gold diggers. And to build stuff you break up the environment, sort of a cross between Minecraft and collecting gas/ore.

No interest in doing any of the gold collecting manual labor.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • No interest in doing any of the gold collecting manual labor.
    At least the engineers in Tribes2 had to also be perimeter defense for the base.
  • edited June 2011
    At least the engineers in Tribes2 had to also be perimeter defense for the base.
    Scott is painting them with a broad stroke. Builders are also the only ones who can build structures (Castle's, Keeps, Bridges), as well as construct catapults. Obviously some people will want to build and some people will want to fight. Scott just want's to fight (and that's OK). Besides, you can change at any time. So ideally you will be digging gold up in your base and when you are getting attacked, you quickly change at your base to an Archer or Knight.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • At least the engineers in Tribes2 had to also be perimeter defense for the base.
    Which made it the most awesome load-out in the game. Turrets, scanners, engine maintenance fuck yeah.
  • Obviously some people will want to build and some people will want to fight. Scott just want's to fight (and that's OK).
    Looking at the game, I don't think many people will want to farm the gold. If I were in charge of that project, I'd make gold farming more automatic (I'll spare you the specifics) and let them focus on combat engineering more.
  • Looking at the game, I don't think many people will want to farm the gold. If I were in charge of that project, I'd make gold farming more automatic (I'll spare you the specifics) and let them focus on combat engineering more.
    I think gold harvesting is just a secondary action compared to harvesting materials for construction and sapping/digging to the other castle.
  • Yes, the builder class is capable of building structures and such while also being capable of digging gold. The point is that it seems the most efficient way to win is to have some builders dedicated to gold digging with others dedicated to building other things. If you waste time trying to take shifts digging gold, you will fall behind if there is a very competitive game.
  • The sheer amount of gold you have to acquire to win makes the builder a grind (as well as making the game as a whole really long). It's something like 3/4 of the gold on the entire map.
  • The sheer amount of gold you have to acquire to win makes the builder a grind (as well as making the game as a whole really long). It's something like 3/4 of the gold on the entire map.
    Wouldn't that be solved with 32 players on each side?
    This is a server setting. I took a look through the server config file and there are a BUNCH of different flags you can set (including fall damage).
  • Wouldn't that be solved with 32 players on each side?
    Sure, but if you just leave it like that the game is kinda boring with any fewer than 32 players. Scale it by the number of players, or something.
  • Scale it by the number of players, or something.
    Goldbots. Have a number of gold-digging bots that scales down as the number of real players increases.
  • What about a different kind of gamemode other than gold hording? CTF might be fun.
  • What about a different kind of gamemode other than gold hording? CTF might be fun.
    Oh YISS!
  • Scale it by the number of players, or something.
    Goldbots. Have a number of gold-digging bots that scales down as the number of real players increases.
    This.

Isn't gold hoarding just CTF with lots of flags that have to be mined?
  • edited September 2011
    Physics in the next build

Also CTF
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • We should try this again.