This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 8

Comments

• It looks nice but I'll probably still switch back to the normal windows interface most of the time. It may prompt me to buy some sort of windows convertible tablet. I still want an iPad, but it would be nice to have some sort of Netbook/Small laptop that I can just take the screen off of and use by itself on occasion. I'm just afraid most of them will be on ARM processors now and have shit hardware.
  • useless flashy 'features'
    I'm pretty in love with the thing where I drag a window to an edge of a screen to resize it or fullscreen it. Not all the flashy bits are useless.
    I hate that feature with a passion. If I'm moving a window, then I just want to move it to make way for something else, not enlarge the damn thing so it takes up the entire screen.
  • I hate that feature with a passion. If I'm moving a window, then I just want to move it to make way for something else, not enlarge the damn thing so it takes up the entire screen.
    I also have never used that feature intentionally.
  • I love that feature. I have a 17" laptop, and it's really useful to perfectly compartmentalize half of the screen for a Netflix video and half of the screen for whatever I'm working on. It's also great for using two browser windows as the same time.
  • I use the keyboard shortcut for the snap feature a lot for copying files from folder to folder, but the fullscreen thing just pisses me off when I try to move a window out of the way. The windows 8 slidey thing looks nifty but we'll see if it pisses me off or not.
  • The problem with the snap thing is there are few programs that work well tiled horizontally.
  • Wish they would release an ARM version tonight.
  • Gotta give 'em props for giving the same UI experience across all their platforms. Wouldn't be surprised if the next XBox went to the same style of UI. Looks like they didn't actually break the real windows underneath either. They just made a new GUI shell on top that can switch back to the old one when necessary. I wonder if it will sell, though. I probably won't be buying it anytime soon unless it's insanely cheap.
    Of course it'll sell. People buy new computers all the time, and they usually just buy them with whatever MS operating system comes pre-installed. Then they -must- get used it it, and are completely unaware of alternatives. Which is fine.
  • For the love of all that is holy please Microsoft release only 2 versions of your Desktop OS: Windows 8 & Windows 8 Enterprise. That's it, no more; seriously.

The first for Home/Small Business the latter for enterprises. The former available in stores or online for $99 (or with new PC obviously), the latter only available through channels already used by large enterprises.

No Windows Small Bus Edition, Your Country is Too Poor For Normal Windows Edition or Windows the Overpriced Nobody's going to buy Edition. Seriously, don't.
  • Downloading now so I can fiddle with it tomorrow morning.
  • edited September 2011
    I LOVE the new copy dialogue. Downloading the dev preview to install on my netbook tonight.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'd love to straight-up install it to my laptop, but I need more stability than a dev build offers, I think. I'll run it in VirtualBox.
  • I'll run it in VirtualBox.
    From what I've read, your mileage may vary on virtual installs.
  • Newb question: Will installing the dev preview overwrite my other stuff? When I ran the installer, it said "What to keep" and the only option was nothing. Should I install this on a separate partition or something?
  • Yeah, you can only install as a clean install.
  • Okay. Now I need a CD burner and blank CD to install this onto.
  • You could just make a boot usb.
  • edited September 2011
    the first thing I did when I got a new Windows 7 PC two weeks ago was switch it to Windows Classic mode. I hate all those newfangled Aero themes and useless flashy 'features'
    So basically you disabled all the useful improvements over years of design because you don't like the look of the see-through window bar? You're an idiot.
    I hate that feature with a passion. If I'm moving a window, then I just want to move it to make way for something else, not enlarge the damn thing so it takes up the entire screen.
    How do you run out of space to move a window to to make space for another? Oh wait, you're trying to make space by moving it upwards. Then it makes sense. In case you didn't know, the majority of the window you're dragging is below your mouse. So moving it DOWN instead of UP will create empty space for you to place a new window. Also note how the the only way to get auto-resizing stuff happening on the bottom edge of your screen, you have to be resizing the window. That way you can move your windows down without them getting auto-resized to full or half screen. Personalized advice for you: Use that grey crap in your skull.
    Okay. Now I need a CD burner and blank CD to install this onto.
    You and anything computers is adorable, utterly, completely Ignoramus levels of dumb, but adorable.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Oh Nine, how did we manage without you?
  • Posting from Windows 8 bitches!!!!!!!!

Now, if only this was a touchscreen.
  • I'm totally going to mess with it this weekend. I may buy a cheap used tablet eeepc or something to mess around with windows 8 on once the full Beta or RC comes out.
  • Am I blind, or is there no clear link to a download link for that beta?
  • here ya go
    Oh yeah, of course. Nowhere linked on the keynote page. Didn't see what's-his-face-killermoth-? his post.
  • I could make a boot USB, but I don't have a big enough flash drive. My biggest is 4GB, the iso is 4.8 GB or so.
  • Everybody, buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220253
    Windows ME driverless support, heck yeah!
  • This start menu seems to have been designed around the idea that I use my computer for dicking around rather than doing work.