This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 8

Comments

• Everybody, buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220253
    What so special about this drive that makes it a must buy?
  • Everybody, buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220253
    What so special about this drive that makes it a must buy?
    I didn't believe it myself until I bought it, but it is actually faster than other USB sticks. Also, 16GB for $25. You'll never have a USB stick problem again.
  • VirtualBox settings for Win 8
    Thanks for that. Also, that utility reveals that my CPU is expected to run at 2.4GHz, but is presently running at 0.79GHz. I wonder if that's Lenovo's power management software, or if I have a problem.
  • Thanks for that. Also, that utility reveals that my CPU is expected to run at 2.4GHz, but is presently running at 0.79GHz. I wonder if that's Lenovo's power management software, or if I have a problem.
    Power save mode, pay it no mind.
  • When I try to install Windows 8 in a virtual box, it tells me I don't have a 64-bit processor. My computer definitely has a 64-bit processor (I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit), so is there some setting I'm not aware of? Or is Virtual Box somehow not using the fullness of my processor? I haz confuse.
  • Try just downloading the 32 bit version.
  • Eh. I could. But my computer can run 64-bit. I see no reason to not try and run something my computer can handle.
  • Support for 64 bit guests was introduced at version 2.0.0. If you wish to create 64 bit guests then we recommend that you upgrade to the latest version. Note that VirtualBox also supports 64-bit guest operating systems, under the following conditions:
    You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization support (see User Manual chapter 1.2, Software vs. hardware virtualization (VT-x and AMD-V), page 10) and a 64-bit host operating system.
    NOTE: Since version 2.1.0, you can run 64 bit Guests while running a 32 bit Host. The prior requirement for Operating System is only for version 2.0.x. You still need the proper hardware.
    You must enable hardware virtualization through your BIOS; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs.
    Note: some HP BIOSES have a glitch, When You ENABLE VT-X/AMD-V, You DISABLE it, so do try both ways.
  • I'm actually just using Windows Virtual PC, not VirtualBox...That's probably the issue...
  • The other question is (for both of them), does it actually support Windows 8 properly yet?
  • Well I got it working in virtualbox without much trouble.
  • I tried Virtual box, it gave me an "unexpected error."
  • I tried to download the build and it got stuck 1/4 of the way through :( Trying again; loving my internet connection.
  • I've noticed that some systems may need certain BIOS settings turned on in order to enable running 64-bit VMs. It's been a while, so my memory is fuzzy, but look for settings concerning "virtualization" or "Hyper-V" in your BIOS setup.
  • I was able to get the 64-bit version working in VirtualBox without modifying any default settings. I later went back and enabled a few features suggested in Andrew's previous post, that seemed to help it to work better. My computer does have the hardware virtualization enabled via the BIOS. I've got a friend who was unable to get it working in VirtualBox that did not have that option in his BIOS.

My biggest gripe is I'm unable to install the VirtualBox Extensions in Win8 for some reason. I'm probably going to install Win8 in a dual-boot config with Windows7 on my laptop.
  • Posting from Windows 8 bitches!!!!!!!!
  • So those of you who have tried it out so far - what are your thoughts?
  • This is probably a dumb question but how do I get it to run in virtualbox at greater than 800x600 resolution? I tried guest additions but Windows 8 could not load the driver.
  • So those of you who have tried it out so far - what are your thoughts?
    Well, despite what they said in the keynote, running it without a touchscreen is kinda odd. And there are a lot of things with it that would turn off power users like us. There's no start menu anymore, so your old habit of hitting start then searching for stuff is going to be interrupted as it brings Metro back up. There's no metro support for windows media player, but that will change. The appstore is closed and hibernation isn't an option for me for some reason.

It looks cool, make no mistake, but I feel that, unless the computer I was using was a tablet or a touch-centric device (all-in-one, convertable laptop, etc) I would probably stick with windows 7. Enterprise environments would probably do the same, simply because Windows 8 makes it very easy to get distracted and absorbed by the new Metro UI.

Basically, I commend M$ for the sheer ballsiness of this move, but there had better damned well be a toggle switch in there somewhere to give me the Windows 7 user experience if I want it.
  • My laptop is has a touch screen monitor, but none of my drivers were working and I wasn't able to test it out. I used both VirtualBox and it installed perfectly (with the special W8 settings), but it couldn't recognize any of my computer's hardware or any of my display drivers. Windows Virtual PC just didn't accept my x64 ISO, even though my PC is 64-bit.

I'm probably making stupid mistakes on both ends, but I wasn't able to get either to work fully.
  • I went full immersion and reformatted my laptop to Windows 8. I have to say that I am not liking this change at all. If I had a phone or a tablet this would be nice but my PC I expect a certain level of control. With everyone other upgrade of Windows I felt like it was the same OS but with little tweeks as to where things are. I currently have yet to figure out how to close an app I opened from the start menu. I have to manually shut them down in the task manager. Also I installed chrome... I don't know where it is or how to open it. Some of the other issues are just bugs that I expect to be worked out. Overall the GUI is very very pretty I just don't know how functional it all is for me. I hope they release a business version with less metro and more 7.
  • edited September 2011
    You guys do realize this version is meant for developers, right? For them to begin writing applications? It's not even near finished. It's not meant for you to be messing around with it as a normal user.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yeah. I definitely would NOT replace your entire OS with it.
  • Oh I am well aware for whom it was made but I reformat my laptop often. I keep it empty and clean so I can do this and reformat back with no real issues. Plus I don't use my laptop for anything important.
  • You guys do realize this version is meant for developers, right? For them to begin writing applications? It's not even near finished. It's not meant for you to be messing around with it as a normal user.
    That's not the point, though. Windows 8 seems to have been designed around a type of hardware that desktops typically don't have. I can see Windows 8 being great for a tablet or any other touch device, but you're probably better off with 7 on a desktop.
  • That's not the point, though. Windows 8 seems to have been designed around a type of hardware that desktops typically don't have. I can see Windows 8 being great for a tablet or any other touch device, but you're probably better off with 7 on a desktop.
    I haven't downloaded Win 8, but tell me. What happens if you click the fucking tile named Desktop?

HUUR DURRR DURR
  • And how do you open a program now?
  • Clearly you use the command line. How else could one run programs?
  • And how do you bring up a command prompt?
  • Shortcuts from the desktop? I rarely use the Start menu's programs anyway nowadays, as I'd say about 75% of the stuff I need to do is either accessible via the taskbar quick launch buttons, via a web interface (so, Chrome), via desktop icons if absolutely necessary, or an icon from the system tray.