This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 8

Comments

• Also, from the command prompt. I use the command prompt to run programs and open shared directories and whatnot a ton, at work, so I'd be curious as to how they handle this.

Time to dual-boot the home PC into Win8!
  • I never use the start menu. Am I the only one who just searches for my program and then runs them? It's easy, just hit the windows key.
  • The windows key brings you back to the metro screen. Its a vicious cycle.
  • The windows key brings you back to the metro screen. Its a vicious cycle.
  • I'll install this tonight and see what's up.
  • Please do and then tell us how we're crazy. I hope we're crazy... :(
  • No, the entire start menu is replaced with the metro screen. That's all it does. They might have deleted the search function, not really sure.
  • I never use the start menu. Am I the only one who just searches for my program and then runs them? It's easy, just hit the windows key.
    I do the same thing, except for a handful of commonly used programs I have pinned to the task bar.
    No, the entire start menu is replaced with the metro screen. That's all it does. They might have deleted the search function, not really sure.
    According to Andy Ihnatko, there is a new hotkey for search which should do the trick nicely.
  • The search button is above the start icon if you hover over it. I searched apps for chrome but couldn't find it even though I installed it. Not quite sure what is going on there.

Has anyone figured out how to close a program yet? I opened paint and play or the piano app and that's nice but I don't seem to have a way of closing them. Esc doesn't work and neither does alt-f4 so I hit the windows key which brings back metro but keeps the program running in the background.
  • Those of you fumbling with searching: Open up the start menu thing and type. With your keyboard. Type what you're searching for.
  • A few things windows 8 does well.

1. Fairly fast boot even on my aging vista laptop
    2. It remembers what I was doing when I turned it off. It acts like it had been asleep rather than off which is interesting since my battery does not hold a charge so when I unplug it its dead.
  • Using Windows 8 with my Touch Screen laptop. The interface is quite nice, but there are a few functional quirks that I really need to get used to.
  • A few things windows 8 does well.

1. Fairly fast boot even on my aging vista laptop
    2. It remembers what I was doing when I turned it off. It acts like it had been asleep rather than off which is interesting since my battery does not hold a charge so when I unplug it its dead.
    Now, that second feature I hadn't yet noticed... but Very interesting.
  • If you want the old start menu back use this. w8smt

I am actually using this as the primary OS for my laptop (Dell Latitude D410.) It's surprisingly stable. Have been using it since it came out and it has only frozen/crashed to the point of hard reboot twice. The only real reason I am using it is the fast boot time and the fact that Aero works on my laptop without video card drivers (Only XP ones are available.)
  • Well, I attempted to use it for a full day ... but the ATI preview drivers died.
  • Dammit.
    I was not gonna upgrade.
    I might have to.
  • Yea, Probably will buy windows for the first time ever!
  • Don't those upgrades only work with a previous legit copy of Windows and don't allow you to do a fresh install, or did they change that?
  • Don't those upgrades only work with a previous legit copy of Windows and don't allow you to do a fresh install, or did they change that?
    I think that when XP was released, they made it so that you just had to have a key, not an already installed copy.
  • When I tried to install Windows 7 upgrade edition I had to have Vista already installed on the hard drive for it to work.
  • It doesn't matter to me, I have legit Windows 7 Pro on my computer. Which I got for free.
  • Just because I haven't ever paid for Windows doesn't mean I don't have legit copies of Windows 7... (I get them through work!, benefits of being in the IT department)
  • I wouldn't install Windows 8 if they paid me $40... Windows 8 is useful for tablets, and well, that's just about it. 9 might be good, though.
  • I got Vista cause it was a big improvement over the aging XP. I got 7 because it was much faster than Vista. What does 8 do that 7 doesn't?