This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 8

12346»

Comments

• I'm going to use it on my new computer, since my school gives us most Microsoft products for free.
    Yeah, this is probably the only reason why I'm using it.

• I upgraded in September because I work a helpdesk-ish job and I want to be able to actually answer people's questions about it. I hardly use the Metro stuff, though maybe I will more once there are actually apps for it? It's damn-near impossible to multitask with it though. Yes, I know about the thing where you can stick make one app take up 300px on the left or right side. It's useless.
  • Not going to upgrade to it unless I have to.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm gonna buy a Windows 8 tablet this January. Might not be a Surface Pro like I originally intended due to reviewers saying the cameras on the RT were sub-par. I doubt I'll go to 8 on my production machine until SP1.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Windows 8 running on my laptop now. Everything cool so far. File copies seem to run faster now. Also, hibernation and startup is noticeably faster now. Metro apps ok so far, I expect them to get better as devs get used to it.

Surprised that some of the core apps like music, people hub, etc aren't better than they are. The ones on Windows phone are significantly better. Since they are separate from the OS and updateable from the store I expect them to get large updates.

So far Steam and the games I've tried, run great. In fact I haven't had any problems running Windows apps.

Still waiting for fingerprint reader software from Lenovo, otherwise all my hardware supported. Since I use the Trackpoint nub or my wireless mouse, I setup the trackpad to be dedicated for scrolling and other gestures. Nice that Ultranav lets me do that.
  • Its like $30 to upgrade right? I wanna do it just so I can use the tiles UI w/ Splashtop.
  • Its like $30 to upgrade right? I wanna do it just so I can use the tiles UI w/ Splashtop.
    I got it for $15 dollars since I bought my laptop recently.
  • I didn't realize the Windows 8 XBox Music app had free music streaming.
  • edited October 2012

Post edited by Clockian on
  • The windows 8 UI is a broken concept. The metro interface is optimised for touch, and the desktop for mouse. It's completly jarring when you have to switch between the two, since you have to either pick up a mouse or use touch.

From experience, just using one doesn't work. You HAVE to switch between touch and a mouse. It's not either or like they say.

It's stupid stupid stupid.

I'm sticking to windows 7 like I did XP, till the bitter end.
  • What? You don't have to switch at all. Stop using shitty metro apps. Bam, it's like you're still using windows 7 but with improvements! Whether those tiny improvements are worth the price, I'd say no for most people. However, all the shittiness of the UI can easily be avoided (except for the power down button being retarded).
  • edited February 2013
    I actually LIKE the Metro UI. I think it's fast, convenient, easy to use, and unobtrusive.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I actually LIKE the Metro UI. I think it's fast, convenient, easy to use, and unobtrusive.
    The main problem with Metro isn't the UI itself (except maybe for higher-end apps where it may not have the proper widgets and stuff to support them), but with the APIs underneath the UI. It is severely crippled with respect to such things as threading, memory allocation, file system access, and such when compared to traditional Win32. It probably won't be as capable as Win32 until Windows "9" or "10," though. Not that you need all that capability on a tablet, but for a full sized desktop/laptop, it's severely lacking.
  • Not upgrading here either, at least for now that is. I'm building a new machine this weekend if my parts come Friday. But I"m putting Window 7 on it. I keep hearing that Windows 8 run better than Windows 7. Just not enough for me to deal with that ugly interface. I thought the same thing when I saw the Windows phone interface.
  • There are actually some nice changes to the desktop - specifically, you can get much more detailed info out of Task Manager, and now you can hit Windows-x to pop up a menu to access the control panel and all of your useful administrative tools.

You don't really need the Start Menu anyways - if you're doing something other than hitting the Windows key and typing in the program name, you're doing it wrong.
  • The Learning Center (spec. ed. room) here at BLS has upgraded to Win8. The Library computers are still running 7, though. I don't like it the way I'm using it. I can't adapt to the weird start up screen, but then I'm only using it once a day for 45 minutes.
  • The Learning Center (spec. ed. room)
    My school had the same thing. It always seemed like a silly name. Isn't the whole school a learning center?
  • You don't really need the Start Menu anyways - if you're doing something other than hitting the Windows key and typing in the program name, you're doing it wrong.
    On a Windows 8 machine, hit the windows key and search for the "Device Manager." Now do the same on Windows 7. Apps should take priority over settings menus, but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to see them.

Hot corners are about the most user-unfriendly things Microsoft could have done to their desktop users, especially those with multiple monitors. I've used Windows 8 since September, and I've tried really hard to get used to it, but this bullshit really does detract from my ability to do whatever I'm trying to do. I'm probably going to install one of those bring-back-the-Start-menu things until Microsoft learns not to treat their desktop users like shit.
  • You don't really need the Start Menu anyways - if you're doing something other than hitting the Windows key and typing in the program name, you're doing it wrong.
    On a Windows 8 machine, hit the windows key and search for the "Device Manager." Now do the same on Windows 7. Apps should take priority over settings menus, but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to see them.

Hot corners are about the most user-unfriendly things Microsoft could have done to their desktop users, especially those with multiple monitors. I've used Windows 8 since September, and I've tried really hard to get used to it, but this bullshit really does detract from my ability to do whatever I'm trying to do. I'm probably going to install one of those bring-back-the-Start-menu things until Microsoft learns not to treat their desktop users like shit.
    Oh wow, so hot corners are what it's called. It was shitty so I just ignored it.

The only reason why I used windows 8 was because it was free. I wouldn't pay any money for it unless I get something like the surface pro. Everything they added was terrible, but mostly ignorable.
  • Most of the explorer changes are pretty rad. Also, security is infinitely better. I can deal with hitting my Windows key once a day.