This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

drawing tablet VS. Multi purpose tablet

edited June 2011 in Technology
I being a small time artist need a tablet and being none to schooled in the world of technology I have no concept of what tablets do what.
I have heard of the difference of sensitivity and response between drawing and multi purpose tablets. But I also need to think about my limited budget and how much I would use a multi purpose tablet versus the drawing tablet. ( I need it for drawing more than anything else). The new tablets coming in a few months I have heard may be sensitive enough.

SO in short I need a tablet that will be a quality drawing tablet but if possible just a fucking around tablet as well.

Any advice?

Comments

• PC + Wacom perhaps? If you want something mobile, I don't think there are cheap ones out there. There was this really REALLY cheap one color tablet just for drawing, but I can't remember the name of it.
  • My buddy Niki was just shopping around for a tablet PC, and apparently the Lenovo tablet PC's are equipped with Wacom parts that register 512 levels of touch sensitivity, are are constantly on sale for around $1K. Lenovo is apparently really dumb about which of their SKUs ship with Wacom parts, but Wacom is super happy to tell you which of Lenovo's parts have their goods in them. I'll try to chase down the exact model number of the one she got, but this seems like a pretty rad idea to me. (She uses it for production animation work.)
  • My buddy Niki was just shopping around for a tablet PC, and apparently the Lenovo tablet PC's are equipped with Wacom parts that register 512 levels of touch sensitivity, are are constantly on sale for around $1K. Lenovo is apparently really dumb about which of their SKUs ship with Wacom parts, but Wacom is super happy to tell you which of Lenovo's parts have their goods in them. I'll try to chase down the exact model number of the one she got, but this seems like a pretty rad idea to me. (She uses it for production animation work.)
    ORLY. I have been looking for a good animation tablet PC. That's not bad. Is it actually wacom style pressure sensitive? The old tablet I got for free was okay for flash drawing (kind of slow) but any photoshop thing that required actual brush strokes and pressure sensitivity, it would go blah.
  • I have an x201t and it is pressure sensitive. I do not have Photoshop but many apps do recognize the pen pressure sensitivity; unfortunately I was never able to get Gimp to properly see it. One of my students just got a x220t and just playing with OneNote, the screen seems even more sensitive.
  • too late I got a wacom intuos4
  • wacom intuos4
    What I use at work, and hasn't given me trouble yet.
  • too late I got a wacom intuos4
    All you need to do now is re learn hand eye coordination!
  • Really? It's not that much harder than a mouse. If you hold it close to the tablet, you pick it up quite quickly as it shows you were the mouse is without having to press down. From there it's just practice.
  • Maybe I am just super uncoordinated, at first I found it really to use a tablet and found it impossible to get the mouse in the right place. I had to "re-learn" using a mouse interface, which was quite frustrating.
  • I have been using a bamboo tablet for a couple of months now and though it is on the cheap end of the spectrum, it is more than enough to handle my needs in drawing computer graphics.

I am using photoshop for practicing and airbrush or even paint brush as my medium. The last I did was a dog which I just traced from a picture.

yes that would be a newbie move but that is what I need to go through in order for me to learn the rigors of using a tablet.