This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• You didn't have the accepted offer in writing? Well, lesson learned I suppose.
    Eh. They could have backed out at this stage even if I had it in writing. I was in a 3 day period where our lawyers had time to look over the contracts. Either party could have backed out for any reason at this point.

I'm not going to consider the next place a sure thing until I have the keys in hand.
  • I'm not going to consider the next place a sure thing until I have the keys in hand.
    That's how these things go. :(

I'm not even considering buying until this sequester thing shakes out.
  • Maybe that "Seller's Realtor is also the other Buyer's Realtor" wasn't working out quite as well as you thought.

Sucks dude. :( But there will be others! Plenty of fish in the sea! Get back on that horse!
  • Ouch! $2,100 to properly install the furnace that the bank did not have installed correctly.
  • HMTKsteve, learning that old houses are money pits :-p
  • I firmly believe that anyone who has never seen The Money Pit should never buy a house.
  • I firmly believe that anyone who has never seen The Money Pit should never buy a house.
  • Fucking love that movie.
  • That movie... Don't know how that house survived the walkthrough.
  • I've got a contract heading to my lawyer for this little guy: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13-Mayhall-St-Colonie-NY-12205/29679398_zpid/

It's a bit smaller then the last one, but the price is great!
  • Sure is smaller.
  • Yeah, but remember there's a basement. That adds usable space in most cases.

There is a basement, right?
  • Nope. It's on a slab.
  • That's substantially smaller, then.
  • Yup and on the lower end of my price range instead of the high end. Holy hell taxes make a huge fucking difference.
  • edited March 2013
    no Basement is a deal breaker for me I love me basements ^_^

First thing to do to that house if you can is add another bathroom stat. One bathroom = people throwing up on your floor :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • That looks like an awesome little house.
  • I do too, but it had enough pros to out weight the cons. Affordability is #1.
  • Affordability means both being able to deal with the inevitable BS that will break in your first year, and also that you'll save money and be able to pay the mortgage down early once you get some momentum. ^_~
  • Affordability is why I haven't started looking seriously yet. Houses here is kinda nuts.
  • An apartment like the one I'm in would go for about $600k depending on the neighborhood. Maybe $450k if I moved somewhere sketchy.
  • Yea, not to mention the fees you'd probably play a month.
  • On demand water heater, new stove & fridge, new living room, new kitch cabinets, epic 27' coffee table PC,,,

I rather be in a small place with nice things and a little extra in the bank. Then in a big space with dust and no money.
  • Depends. Some of them are actually small houses.
  • I rather be in a small place with nice things and a little extra in the bank. Then in a big space with dust and no money.
    eeeyup
  • Yea most people buy a house that is way too big for them and their needs....

*looks around* What?
  • Yea most people buy a house that is way too big for them and their needs....

*looks around* What?
    Depends on if you're also planning for future needs. The house I bought was probably too big for my needs as of the time I bought it, but now that I have a kid, its size is becoming more appropriate. I bought the house under the assumption that I'd be having kids one day.
  • At the same time people raised 3 kids in a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom and were happy while some people raise 2 kids in a 5 bedroom with 3 bathroom and think it's not enough room :-p
  • My dad was raised in a small house, so I think that's why he wanted a big house. I, having been raised in a big house, seem to want as small a dwelling as possible.
  • At the same time people raised 3 kids in a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom and were happy while some people raise 2 kids in a 5 bedroom with 3 bathroom and think it's not enough room :-p
    There may be legitimate reasons for the 5 bedroom scenario, though. :P If you run a home business out of one or more of those bedrooms, for instance...