This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• edited May 2016
    https://www.citizensbank.com/SEO/home-equity/home-equity-401k.aspx Some bad stuff about using your 401k that way.

Plus Real estate taxes and Interest on my mortgage are deducted from my income taxes. The rest of the money pays down the loan and the land tends not to lose value AND I have a 401k.

Generally I'm thinking education expenses for a child, some sort of crazy maxed out health problem, avoiding higher interest loans for other things.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • One dude ends another starts. I just met my realtor in person for the first time yesterday.
    We saw 7 properties in like 3 hours. None were a house (though one was close, and the price was right, and was a short sale, I was almost wondering what the catch was). I'm really beginning it.

I've got an appointment with my bank to see what I can be approved for.

This is all in the Stamford, CT area by the way. One of the most expensive real estate markets in the country, which is why anything that doesn't have community charges is just outside of my range. I bet that's not the case further away from the city and becomes progressively more the case as I get closer to the city. I work here in Stamford, but my endgame is to work in the city and make that mad city monies. All a bit much, but I've dipped my toe.
  • The catch is the short sale, short sales are not by their definition short. They can sometimes take a year to complete.
  • Homeowners:

Talk to me (us) about permeable driveways, particularly in the northeast. I'm a fan of the idea, but understand that the materials may be vulnerable to freeze/thaw cycles.
  • Cremlian said:

The catch is the short sale, short sales are not by their definition short. They can sometimes take a year to complete.

I'm just gonna talk numbers. I was told that this placed was priced cheap (219k for a 4 bedroom (albiet with 2 of those bedrooms being kinda small) 2 bath probably like 1500-2ksqft), and some of the other ones I saw that day were 240 for 750 sqft 2 bedroom. I mean ok sure it might take a year to close on a "short sale" but it's not about the time to close, I have all the time in the world. I live with my parents until I wanna move out. It was about the price.
  • Naoza said:

Cremlian said:

The catch is the short sale, short sales are not by their definition short. They can sometimes take a year to complete.

I'm just gonna talk numbers. I was told that this placed was priced cheap (219k for a 4 bedroom (albiet with 2 of those bedrooms being kinda small) 2 bath probably like 1500-2ksqft), and some of the other ones I saw that day were 240 for 750 sqft 2 bedroom. I mean ok sure it might take a year to close on a "short sale" but it's not about the time to close, I have all the time in the world. I live with my parents until I wanna move out. It was about the price.
    Yea the issue is most people looking for a house are on some sort of time table. (need to move for Job or Child or divorce or marriage) If you have all the time in the world you are at a tremendous advantage over other buyers. I was casually looking for a house and when I bought it I ended up buying a house for 80k under it's market value, but that was after a year or so of struggle. Most people don't have that kind of time. Seems a Short sale might be useful for you. The other issue is Short Sales are not always deals. All a Short sale means is that they have an agreement with the bank to sell for less then their mortgage. This means the bank has final say and can just end the process at anytime. That's why they are a pain in the neck. However you can attempt to bid under the asking number and see how that works out if you like it.
  • Yeah, that's what the agent told me. She said that wasn't as viable a tactic anymore. Banks are supposedly less inclined to haggle than they used to.
  • Naoza said:

Cremlian said:

Your agent should be able to do a market analysis and figure out the average price per square foot of homes in the area. Should give you an idea of what's reasonable.

We just paid about $122/sqft. for our house, which is right around what you're talking about for that place. Not a bad price, depending on the area.

How pricey is Stamford? I have some friends outside of Boston who love to bitch about real estate prices.

• Homeowners:

Talk to me (us) about permeable driveways, particularly in the northeast. I'm a fan of the idea, but understand that the materials may be vulnerable to freeze/thaw cycles.

What do you mean by permeable, like gravel or some kind of a solid surface that water will pass through?
  • Gravel, concrete lattices, etc... Something that allows water to diffuse directly into the soil, rather then redirecting it to the boundaries of a large impermeable sheet.
  • You may want to mute sound

• Naoza said:

Cremlian said:

Your agent should be able to do a market analysis and figure out the average price per square foot of homes in the area. Should give you an idea of what's reasonable.

We just paid about $122/sqft. for our house, which is right around what you're talking about for that place. Not a bad price, depending on the area.

How pricey is Stamford? I have some friends outside of Boston who love to bitch about real estate prices.

One google later and I see, pretty fucking expensive and surrounded by more expensive on all sides.
  • I'm 100% positive that water absorbing concrete is economical for the driveway of a private residence and not so expensive that it will only be used in large parking lots or airports. I'm also sure it has no other drawbacks whatsoever and will totally withstand freezing temperatures while fully saturated.
  • I think the key there is to move out of CT ;-p
  • Cremlian said:

I think the key there is to move out of CT ;-p

This is generally good life advice in any situation.
  • Rym said:

Gravel, concrete lattices, etc... Something that allows water to diffuse directly into the soil, rather then redirecting it to the boundaries of a large impermeable sheet.

I understand what the word means, I'm asking what Pete means. :P

Also, the greater question is why? You don't live in a city or tidal area so i don't think runoff is that big a concern.
  • When I leave Stamford, I want it to be for 3x the money for a job in the city, otherwise I already work here and have no reason to leave
  • Rym said:

Gravel, concrete lattices, etc... Something that allows water to diffuse directly into the soil, rather then redirecting it to the boundaries of a large impermeable sheet.

Also, the greater question is why? You don't live in a city or tidal area so i don't think runoff is that big a concern.
    We're examining options. I like the idea of permeable pavers interspersed with greenery (we're looking at doing a clover lawn because grass is bullshit), but gravel would also be an option. I'm thinking gravel in a honeycomb cell to keep it from getting shuffled around excessively.

The primary reason for this is that the driveway is a collection point for a bunch of water, and one of those collection areas is a spot near the garage. It's not a huge problem, but water pooling will damage it eventually. Our soil has a high clay content, so drainage is a bit on the slow side - so water tends to run from the surrounding yard into the driveway, and then a lot of it kinda just sits there.

Mostly, the driveway needs repairs, and I'm debating the merits of repairing versus replacing.

Also, I prefer the look of stone or gravel to asphalt.
  • Naoza said:

Naoza said:

Cremlian said:

One google later and I see, pretty fucking expensive and surrounded by more expensive on all sides.
    Well then fuck yes you should jump on $122/sqft.

Or leave Connecticut, which is obviously the superior option.

• Or leave Connecticut, which is obviously the superior option.

538 had a great article pointing out that places like that (mid-sized Connecticut towns/cities) are actually the baseline, average American experience these days.
  • Housing market isn't the thing - it's just that Connecticut is bullshit.
  • I lived in CT for 17 years. There's more than one reason I got the fuck out and never went back.
  • I've known, in my life, multiple people from Connecticut. As far as I can tell, that state is held up by its resident's collective hate of living in Connecticut. I've legitimately never heard one person who's lived in Connecticut say something nice about Connecticut. It's impressive. I've never seen a state so universally reviled by it's own residents. Even Rhode Islanders and New Jersians at least like their own state, even if they are national punchlines otherwise.
  • There's nothing IN Connecticut. It's just affluent people and the houses they live in. There are some decent restaurants, but none that are the kind you would eat at except for the fact they just happen to be near where you live. I guess they have some Dibella's now.

The only things worthy of note about CT are:

They make military helicopters and submarines.
    The UCONN women's basketball team.
    The Hartford Whalers used to be there.
    You have to drive through it sometimes to get to better places.
    I lived there.
  • Even Connecticut's rest stops are shit. Can't even make the drive through pleasant.

JERSEY PRIDE
  • Rym said:

We're examining options. I like the idea of permeable pavers interspersed with greenery (we're looking at doing a clover lawn because grass is bullshit), but gravel would also be an option. I'm thinking gravel in a honeycomb cell to keep it from getting shuffled around excessively.

The primary reason for this is that the driveway is a collection point for a bunch of water, and one of those collection areas is a spot near the garage. It's not a huge problem, but water pooling will damage it eventually. Our soil has a high clay content, so drainage is a bit on the slow side - so water tends to run from the surrounding yard into the driveway, and then a lot of it kinda just sits there.

Mostly, the driveway needs repairs, and I'm debating the merits of repairing versus replacing.

Also, I prefer the look of stone or gravel to asphalt.
    See anything I do for a driveway needs to support a car jack. This significantly curtails my options.

Personally I would make your choice based on long term maintenance. You ever chipped ice off or shoveled snow off pavers? My experience was it was a giant hassle. And pavers always look nice new, but they never seem to stay that way for more than a few years.
  • That's a good point. Gravel is great, but how do you get snow off of it? You want rocks shooting out of your snowblower?
  • You could put a concrete slab in one area, and replace the rest of that massive expanse with gravel or something.
  • Rym said:

You could put a concrete slab in one area, and replace the rest of that massive expanse with gravel or something.

Roman concrete. It will outlive your greatest grandchildren.