This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I've lived here for 20 years (I'm 25 and 5 of those years were spent in Rochester) and, yeah pretty much everything Scott said is right. He missed one major upside, though it's hardly unique to CT and that's all the space I have. I have woods for miles. Which means when my dumbass high school self experimented with making contact explosives I could do it without even risking a visit from the police. Or when probably still dumbass modern me finds a laptop under his dresser from the 80s, he can get his friends gun and shoot it while filming it in slow motion. 0 risk.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I read a paper years ago arguing that Roman concrete wasn't particularly special: it's just that the projects made with it that happened to be more durable have, well, lasted longer.

Survivor bias.
  • edited May 2016
    Rym said:

I read a paper years ago arguing that Roman concrete wasn't particularly special: it's just that the projects made with it that happened to be more durable have, well, lasted longer.

Survivor bias.

Also, Roman concrete didn't have cars driving on it. Just some horses, and mostly soft Roman footsies. Also, nice Roman weather.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Rym said:

I read a paper years ago arguing that Roman concrete wasn't particularly special: it's just that the projects made with it that happened to be more durable have, well, lasted longer.

Survivor bias.

I vaguely recall having a discussion with someone knowledgable about this that the Roman concrete was stronger and more durable, but had a hellishly long curing time. We understand how it works - it's just that modern construction trades getting a building ready sooner for lifespan.

And also, yes, much survivor bias.
  • Roman concrete has cards driving on it now, and has for a while. Seems fine. ;)

It was also that certain regions of Rome had more ash in their concrete just by chance, and that this correlated to longer life.
  • Rym said:

Roman concrete has cards driving on it now, and has for a while. Seems fine. ;)

It was also that certain regions of Rome had more ash in their concrete just by chance, and that this correlated to longer life.

Tiny Italian cars.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Roman concrete has cards driving on it now, and has for a while. Seems fine. ;)

Tiny Italian cars.
    So very tiny.
  • edited May 2016
    I remember this discussion in an architecture class. Per the instructor, 1) we do know the formula; 2) we do not use it today because it requires more lime than is feasible/affordable; and 3) most structures that would warrant the expense are longer/taller/bigger than such concrete could support on its own, thus we would need to use steel beams to reinforce it anyway. Thus, if it the project utilizes a standard column support structure and is small-by-modern-standards it would work, but would be so expensive that it isn't worthwhile.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm not a fan of snow removal on loose driveways.
  • Wyatt said:

I'm not a fan of snow removal on loose driveways.

In my experience, it depends on the length. My parents had/have an electric shovel and a red stone driveway. It wasn't terribly long so the electric shovel worked fine. For a long driveway that needs to be plowed, a paved driveway is better because the plow often picks up stone.
  • Yeah, we discussed this yesterday, and I think the biggest thing for us is going to be plowing. The driveway isn't going to need replacement for a few years yet, but when it does we will likely go with pavement of some sort. The exact type will depend on what's available and feasible. At the least, we can do a better job of grading it away from the house.
  • So.

We've repainted the whole fucking house. It's awesome now. My friends are awesome for helping.

And then it occurred to us that we already have a guest bed and frame there, so there's nothing stopping us from living there now.

So that's this weekend's project. Partial move-in.

Internet installation tomorrow. Staying with Time Warner because even though Verizon said FiOS was available in my zip code, it's not available at my address.

Goddammit FiOS.

But I reinstalled extension springs and cables on the disconnected garage door! Success!

Except the opener still won't open the door.

Oh how I wish I could call the landlord.
  • You want another Queen sized bed frame? ;)
  • Once you've painted the whole house there's not much reason to not move in.
  • Rym said:

You want another Queen sized bed frame? ;)

Nah, we're good.

Do you have a spare 3-part sectional you're looking to offload?

• It's done.

We're moved.

It's all here.

We had a fire last night.

It's done.

You guys.

I own a house.
  • Did you celebrate your first night with a viewing of the Tom Hanks classic, Money Pit?
  • Matt said:

Did you celebrate your first night with a viewing of the Tom Hanks classic, Money Pit?

It's an excellent documentary on home ownership.

• Nah, we had booze, a backyard blaze, s'mores, puppies (one who pranced after moths and two who dug a literal pit and came home dirtier than they have ever been before), great company, and fun conversation. BTW, though they just moved in, Nuri's garden game is already stronger than most people who've been in their homes 20 years.
  • Just you wait. She has Plans.

I mean that literally. Sketches with dimensions and shit.
  • Just you wait. She has Plans.

I mean that literally. Sketches with dimensions and shit.

Oh, I am sure of it. What she's done in just a few weeks is impressive. Given a few years, I am sure it will be a masterwork.
  • We put a bid in on an amazing house and the sellers came back with a reasonable counter. Now, we will offer a number halfway between the two. ZOMG, take my money (though only the minimum amount it will take to own that idylic property)!

The five acre propety situated, which is situated a 3 min. drive from a Wegmans, 10 min. from a charming college town on the Erie Canal, 15 min. from Lake Ontario, and directly across the street from a winery and brewery, has 2 barns (one large barn, one small barn with a coop taking up 1/4 of the small barn), one 3 sided metal-sheet-roofed shed, a 3+ garage w/an atrached workshop and a wood shed, a huge attic, a concrete floored legit canning basement (shelves and tables already in basement with bilco doors outside and a stairway to the first floor), lots of parking avaiable, a main home with 3 bedrooms, a sitting room, a living room, a large dining room, reasonable kitchen, a small den, 2.5 bathrooms (the master bath has a whirpool tub, standing shower, 2 sinks, and a cedar sauna), walk in closets, a rental/in-law unit with eat-in kitchen, living room, 2 beds 1 bath and 2 separate entrances, a pool, many gorgeous trees including fruiting apple trees (will determine type if we purchase), etc. The original portion of the house was built in 1834. The house appears to have been beautifully maintained and preserved: exposed original beams in the kitchen and formal dining room, hardwood floors, high ceilings, generous room sizes, updated windows, kitchen, and bathrooms, granite countertops, and so on.
  • Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics.
  • or it's not happening :-p
  • Actually, your description was sufficient that I successfully stalked your house on Google.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
  • Kate, that sounds amazing! I hope it goes through!
  • Jeez... I really need to move away from DC if I eventually want to buy a house.

It looks amazing though!
  • If we get that house, the big barn will definately be an art and pottery studio. ZOMG. Much excitement.
  • If we get that house, the big barn will definately be an art and pottery studio. ZOMG. Much excitement.

That's a lot of studio.

Can I come over and build Roman amphorae?