This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Any thoughts on the newest reboot of DC comics?

1235»

Comments

• Comics are a medium, and Superhero comics are a Genre. What you're doing is basically - to make a very rough equivalency - is that Television is terrible, because Bold and the Beautiful, Home and away, Neighbours and the like are horrendously complex. There are shows which are simple and easy - like Secret life or us, or The Wire, or The Thick of it - but much of the genre, and certainly the longest running parts, are horrendously complex.

You know what? I don't like Giant Robot shows that much. Does that mean Anime is terrible? Nope. I just don't like Giant Robot Shows.
    Name any other medium that is as dominated by a single genre.
    TV is dominated by Reality TV.

You know I'm right.
  • edited June 2011
    Name any other medium that is as dominated by a single genre.
    In North America, roughly 55% of all paperbacks sold are Romance Novels. In the UK, Romance novels are 20% of all fiction published, and in the US in 2009, romance novels comprised about 13% of all fiction published, which makes them the largest share of the consumer market in fiction. Also, purely for shits and giggles, out of 832,253 new titles published in 2009, 9,089 were romance titles.

Also, According the the Neilsen ratings, Drama is far and away the most dominant Genre in TV, with a 41% audience share by Genre.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • In North America, roughly 55% of all paperbacks sold are Romance Novels. In the UK, Romance novels are 20% of all fiction published, and in the US in 2009, romance novels comprised about 13% of all fiction published, which makes them the largest share of the consumer market in fiction. Also, purely for shits and giggles, out of 832,253 new titles published in 2009, 9,089 were romance titles.

Also, According the the Neilsen ratings, Drama is far and away the most dominant Genre in TV, with a 41% audience share by Genre.
    Yeah, 55% is a lot. I don't have an exact number for what percent of comics are superhero. But in the US you know it's gotta be 90%+. There's a big difference between 55% and 90%. Not to mention the fact that even though there are a lot of independent comics out there, most comic shops sell Marvel and DC almost exclusively. Only the hipstery comic shops have any reasonably sized inventory of independent comics.
  • Yeah, 55% is a lot. I don't have an exact number for what percent of comics are superhero. But in the US you know it's gotta be 90%+. There's a big difference between 55% and 90%.
    Then that is the question you should have asked. You want a medium dominated by a single genre, you got it.

Though, to be fair, even though Superhero comics are a broader genre than just comics published by the Big two, or even just Main DCU and Marvel-verse comics, I will agree that they hold the majority of comics published. If you want to talk Specifically about DC or Marvel superhero comics, I don't know and I'm unwilling to speculate upon it without any data, even if it seems obvious.
    Not to mention the fact that even though there are a lot of independent comics out there, most comic shops sell Marvel and DC almost exclusively. Only the hipstery comic shops have any reasonably sized inventory of independent comics.
    I disagree on this, sort of. It really depends what you call a Comic shop. For example, A comic shop like Traveling man, Ace comics, Gatekeeper Hobbies(On the corner of huntington and gage, Topeka!) Forbidden Planet, they stock a roughly equal amount of both - I've never been into a regular comic shop (and trust me, I've been in as many comic shops as you've had hot dinners) That doesn't stock roughly equal amounts of US Superhero comics from the Big two, and other comics. I can't speak for EVERY comic shop, and I can only speak for comic shops in Australia, the UK, and in the US, but in my experience, it's pretty even. One or the other might hold a majority, depending on the store, but I've never, ever seen a comic shop that stocks almost exclusively Marvel and DC.

Also, that's discounting Manga - If you include manga, which despite the different name, are also comics, then non-Big two books are in the vast majority - But that's not a fair call, so let's discount that.

Now, On the other hand, if you want to talk about big retailers, like Borders and Barnes & Noble, They do stock a large majority of Books from the Big Two, but I'd be hard pressed to call them "Comic shops" rather than "bookstores", if you see what I'm getting at.

So, Where are you drawing your line? Is any shop that sells comics a "Comic shop", with a shop that sells only comics and comic-related things a "Hipstery" comic shop? Or is the latter a comic shop, and the former something else?
  • I've been to lots of comic shops in my day as well, mostly in the northeast US. Basically, the closer they are to a big city, the greater the selection of non-Marvel and non-DC books. Comics, etc. in Rochester, NY had about 40/40/20. MidTown Comics in NYC has 30/30/30. Jim Hanley's Universe or Forbidden Planet have more like 25/25/50. Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, NY sold a bunch of other stuff besides comics, but it was 45/45/10. I have also been to quite a few really crummy stores that are 50/50/0. They were basically the Android's Dungeon straight up.

As for these percentages, I'm mostly talking perceived shelf space. A lot of times what you see is there is a row of independent books on the shelf. But if you look closely there's maybe 5 copies of each book if you are lucky. Meanwhile there are 50 or even 100% copies of each of the big superhero titles. It isn't because the indies sold like hotcakes. The store just doesn't order as many of them.

Cool shops do exist, such as Isotope Comics in San Francisco. It's such a good shop that it even has shelf space for mini comics from local artists. Of course, even they still have a wide selection of Marvel and DC. I've never been there, but it's famous because it's out of the ordinary. If more shops were like Isotope, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • This thread: TL; DR.

So I'll just put my two cents in. I love comics in all forms, both contained stories and shared worlds. I just wish when a company did it's cross over event like Civil war it would just make that a separate book and have all the stories related to it in one easy to find place not arcing through a million titles. I'm cool with Batman and Superman hanging out but resolve that story in only one title don't flip back and forth every other issue and have one issue be in The Flash. I'm not interested. If I can't convince you to do that, at least release the trades in some logical way that I can read it without having to consult another TRADE PAPERBACK. I actually recently read all of Civil War in order because some way I "acquired" them all with easy to follow numbers in front of each file placing them in order and I really enjoyed the storyline in retrospect, it was too bad when it was coming out I had no freaking clue how to acquire the titles and get it in order and there was no way I was going to buy the guide comic to the cross over.

Long and the Short, I love the Marvel Unverise and I like comics crossing over just do simple things to make them easier to read and follow (especially in trades).

\\STOP reordering the freaking trade numbers. One of the reasons I can't follow X-men is they number some of them with volumes and don't do it for others AGGGGHHHHH...
  • edited June 2011
    I've been to lots of comic shops in my day as well, mostly in the northeast US. Basically, the closer they are to a big city, the greater the selection of non-Marvel and non-DC books. Comics, etc. in Rochester, NY had about 40/40/20. MidTown Comics in NYC has 30/30/30. Jim Hanley's Universe or Forbidden Planet have more like 25/25/50. Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, NY sold a bunch of other stuff besides comics, but it was 45/45/10. I have also been to quite a few really crummy stores that are 50/50/0. They were basically the Android's Dungeon straight up.
    That's probably a good assessment - I've probably never been to the same shops you have, by virtue of location, so I can't say owt about them. I do agree that being closer to a city might affect your percentages, but I can't confirm or deny it, since the majority of comic shops I've been in have been pretty close to cities, if not straight up in them. Australian stores don't count very well for that, since we've got pretty damned good distribution networks - I've been to comic stores in towns up north, and the selection isn't that different in percentage from a comic shop in the middle of Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne.

Edit - you know, I should go and start actually investigating that seriously.
    As for these percentages, I'm mostly talking perceived shelf space. A lot of times what you see is there is a row of independent books on the shelf. But if you look closely there's maybe 5 copies of each book if you are lucky. Meanwhile there are 50 or even 100% copies of each of the big superhero titles. It isn't because the indies sold like hotcakes. The store just doesn't order as many of them.
    Yeah, that's the case, but I'm not sure what you're getting at with it - Book that usually sells less, you order less. Book that usually sells more, you order more. Otherwise you have a bunch of product sitting on your shelf, gathering dust, and not making you any money. That's kind of obvious, really, basic business. It's correct, I'm just not sure what you're getting at.
    Cool shops do exist, such as Isotope Comics in San Francisco. It's such a good shop that it even has shelf space for mini comics from local artists. Of course, even they still have a wide selection of Marvel and DC. I've never been there, but it's famous because it's out of the ordinary. If more shops were like Isotope, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Yep, I've heard of them, It's on my list of Must-visit places in SF. Same with Midtown comics in NYC, and Time Machine comics in NYC down on west 14th, right near where it crosses with 7th av. Daily Planet in Brisbane, Traveling man in Leeds(which has a Cafe and Chillout space in it) and OK comics in leeds, Meltdown Comics in LA. There are a TON of good shops around, but I suppose there must be a bunch of sucky ones too, because that's the way of things, I guess.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't understand the constant rehashing of the same comics. Is shelving Batman or Green Lantern for a few years really a bad thing? Finish the run, give the comic time to sell in trade and then bring it back two or three years later.

Look at Star Trek. There was Star Trek on TV for about 16 years and by the end it had grown stale and boring. They took a break for four years and were able to come back and make it exciting again. I don't want to start reading most American comics because I don't know which run starts or end where; when and where certain events happen, ect. I just don't care about things that one out weekly or monthly in a world where there is almost an unlimited amount of excellent entertainment that I don't have time to consume.
  • I don't understand the constant rehashing of the same comics. Is shelving Batman or Green Lantern for a few years really a bad thing? Finish the run, give the comic time to sell in trade and then bring it back two or three years later.
    I like this idea. This is one of the main reasons I prefer reading stuff from the indie publishers. I am introduced to something new and can become invested into their story and backgrounds.

However, DC & Marvel won't do this. The big superheroes are their cash cows and with the popularity of the superheroes with their respective movies, they probably think it wouldn't be wise to stop releasing more things with them.
  • Ok. They're for sale now. My friends and I ordered... many. We look forward to them arriving in the mail, come the end of September.
  • I think we are going to buy all 52 issues from DCBS and do some GeekNights about it.
  • Interesting idea. You can tell us which ones suck and which one's don't, though I really only care about the Batman (and possibly Green Lantern) titles. I'm sad that Batman Inc. isn't coming back 'til next year...
  • Interesting idea. You can tell us which ones suck and which one's don't, though I really only care about the Batman (and possibly Green Lantern) titles. I'm sad that Batman Inc. isn't coming back 'til next year...
    If I might make a suggestion.
  • We ordered a lot of the DC comics, around 40, then ordered Deadpool and Megaman.
    Megaman is like Ghost in the Shell for kids right now.
    Green Lantern Corps was the Green Lantern title we got, because Hal Jordan is balls, and we were sick of rainbow tripe.