This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Getting hot with Python

dsfdsf
edited June 2011 in Technology
What are some good ways to get started with Python? What are some good tutorials and Starting projects to get a n00b moving in teh right direction? (teh intended)

And this is for Emily:

Comments

• ellipse ellipse ellipse
  • How do I get get started/better at/good at X?

Do X.

End of every thread ever.
  • I think he's asking how to do X.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh, and next time, try the search function. This is a question that comes up a lot.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I've been watching MIT's intro to CS lectures (which you can also download from iTunes).
    By doing it.
    By doing it.
    So it's a catch-22 and he cannot do X.
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    well, i already did some searches and i have some ideas of which things I'm going too do. i just figured it would be worth asking here about it too to see if any one had some ideas about avoiding pitfalls and what not. but i can see you guys are too busy living in elitist prick world so i guess i'll just go do my own thing.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Apreche: How do you get into anything? By Doing that thing! End of thread.

Apreche: Superhero comics are impossible to get into, they're too complex!

• print "Hello World!"
  • print "Hello World!"
    are you still mad at me because I didn't think your attempt at a web comic was funny?
  • What are some good ways to get started with Python? What are some good tutorials and Starting projects to get a n00b moving in teh right direction? (teh intended)
    I don't know how good it is - I'm not a coder or any of that - but you could try This here, and then follow it up with This here.
  • are you still mad at me because I didn't think your attempt at a web comic was funny?
    No, I'm mad at your failure to understand basic capitalization. Also, what webcomic?
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    some guy named andrew from the frc tried to get my to read some crappy comedy thing. i tried to be cool and say it just wasnt my thing but he kept pressing the issue and got angry because i wasnt into it. he carried on and de-friended me on facebook. i'm pretty sure it was you.

u still mad bro?
    Post edited by dsf on
  • some guy named andrew from the frc tried to get my to read some crappy comedy thing. i tried to be cool and say it just wasnt my thing but he kept pressing the issue and got angry because i wasnt into it. he carried on and de-friended me on facebook. i'm pretty sure it was you.
    Uh no. lrn 2 speak inglush plox
  • some guy named andrew from the frc tried to get my to read some crappy comedy thing. i tried to be cool and say it just wasnt my thing but he kept pressing the issue and got angry because i wasnt into it. he carried on and de-friended me on facebook. i'm pretty sure it was you.
    Uh no. lrn 2 speak inglush plox

u mad?
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    ithinkyou'rejustmadbeCauseyouwantmymanassbutsinceimnotgayyoucanneverhaveitsoyoureemoingoutinthisreallyshittyattemptattrollinG
    Post edited by dsf on
  • I've been watching MIT's intro to CS lectures (which you can also download from iTunes).
    I just started watching this today in my own attempt to learn Python. I feel like the videos along with the suggested readings and problem sets are actually a pretty good start. I think it'll really depend, though, on if you can set aside at least 5 solid weeks of work (or 15 weeks spread out) to learn it like you were taking an actual class -- if that's your thing.
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    The problem with intro to CS stuff is that I don't really need a "this is a variable", "this is a function" thing. I'm just going to use a syntax reference. I already know how to do the things that python can do, I need to figure out how python does them. But also I don't really have any projects to do in python since all the things I am working on currently must be done in PHP or must be done in X language. So python is on the back burner until I can figure out some sort of thing to do with it.

It takes me about two weeks with a project to figure out a new language.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Here's what I do: think up a project that you would like done that can be done in Python and then do it.

I learned Python years ago when I had to write a build system that would log in to several different kinds of Unix hosts, run the appropriate build and package systems on those hosts, and then consolidate all those builds on a central FTP server. I didn't know any Python before then (I was originally going to do it in Perl, but my co-workers threatened me with grievous bodily harm if I did, so Python was chosen instead), so I just worked with the docs on Python.org, chugged through getting the project done, and eventually had something working.

That's pretty much how I learn anything new, whether it's a new language, framework, API, etc. -- come up with a project I'd like done in that language and sit down and do it. I even have a collection of "Hello World++" projects I use to help me do so. Now, I may ask around for advice on things to be wary of, recommended tools, recommended documents/guides, etc. (Iike in my web programming thread), but then I just sit down and set to work on my project.
  • Remember, always use tab characters, never spaces for your indentation.
    Always use spaces.
    Always use spaces.
    Indeed. Tabs can be changed in editor settings so it makes it really annoying to share code with someone else who may have different editor settings than yours. On the other hand, a space is a space is a space.
  • Always use spaces.
    Problem?
    Always use space-expanded tabs.
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    I configure my editor to use 2 spaces instead of a tab when I hit my tab button.

Why u so mad bro?
    Post edited by dsf on
  • I configure my editor to use 2 spaces instead of a tab when I hit my tab button.

Why u so mad bro?
    That's not good. For Python you absolutely MUST use four spaces. For other languages, no matter what they are, four spaces is very strongly suggested. I'm not trolling, this is serious. http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

If you need help, check my vimrc. https://github.com/Apreche/vim/blob/master/vimrc.vim