This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Roguelikes

edited June 2011 in Video Games
So, anyone play legit Roguelikes these days (I'm not talking about stuff like DF)? I've been playing a couple for inspiration as I'm working on my own. Anyone have favorites or aspects of them that they like/dislike specifically?

If you've never played one, I suggest Brouge, it's fairly accessible and has some nice visuals.

Comments

• I really like the Doom Rogue-like.
  • Desktop Dungeons is a super concentrated version of a Rougelike (I don't know if I would called it "legit" though).

It doesn't have the freedom of a nethack or the random ass ways of getting killed but it has that mix of ruthlessness, progression, careful planning and accomplishment.

It is kind of like Plants vs. Zombies vs. other TD games.
  • DoomRL is a fun game. If you want something closer to NetHack, but a little more accessable, try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. If you really want to get in to RLs, The Something Awful Do You Want Your Roguelikes Identified thread is a good place to start.
  • I was going to say "In before someone uses the word 'rouge,'" but I'm already too late. :)
  • I was going to say "In before someone uses the word 'rouge,'" but I'm already too late. :)
    I always avoid this mistake by storing the word in my brain sounding like roag-you
  • edited June 2011
    I was going to say "In before someone uses the word 'rouge,'" but I'm already too late. :)
    Well, considering the first post had "Brouge", you didn't stand much of a chance.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Well, considering the first post had "Brouge", you didn't stand much of a chance.
    Meh, a simple typo.
  • I've played several roguelikes, but Adom and Nethack are the two I've played the most. Still haven't finished ether of them, but I occasionally get urges to play them and I hope that one day I shall master those games.
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the best roguelike, it's designed with the intent that there aren't many "no-brainer" gameplay choices. I'm not sure if that's a completely achieved goal or not but you can have fun playing Crawl without reading spoilers or a list of tips like you need to with Nethack.

With Nethack you really need to know simple things like lizards prevent turning to stone, or Elbereth keeps monsters away, or stuff like that. Crawl just hands the fun to you more willingly.
  • Also, if you don't do at least one run as a Chaos Knight of Xom you're a wuss.
  • I play Nethack on my phone. It's pretty decent, better than whatever other unfortunate mess they have in the free section of the app store.
  • I started playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup a few days ago. Its been pretty fun so far, and I haven't felt the need to take a look at any wiki or anything to feel like I'm getting the full experience. My only real complaint is that I wish accessing special abilities was a bit quicker, instead of having to do "A" then "Shift+/" then "(whatever letter)" every time I want to animate a corpse or make a bottle of blood or whatever. Being able to map those to number keys or having a bar for them like you do for spells would be nice.

In the less real complaint department, there are still frustratingly random deaths with no way of stopping them. But less frequently so far than in ADOM or the few smaller roguelikes I've tried. And several of the arbitrary deaths have been very amusing, so that certainly cushions the blow.
  • [10:48:45 PM] Nineless: Say, can you tell Xefas that 'a' and 'A' are two different keys, and that he doesn't have to hit questionmark to select an ability. For example if he knows that 'a', 'a' makes him go into a berserk rage.
    [10:49:00 PM] Nineless: There's also the tile version of Stone Soup which has a spells tab, so yeah.
    [10:49:04 PM] churba: I have no idea what that means.
    [10:49:05 PM] Nineless: CLICK CLICK MAGIC CAST.
    [10:49:06 PM] churba: but I will tell him
  • Ah, thanks for that. Makes things much quicker. =)
  • So, I made it all the way to Depths 2 for the first time in Binding of Isaac (with Isaac, no less), before everything went to shit, the way it always does in a roguelike. Halo of Flies (or getting Pretty Fly three times) is pretty much one of the best run-makers you can have. It's actually quite an awesome powerup.
  • One of my favorite strategies is that once I get a decent amount of cash, I blow it on a slot machine until I get the one dollar bill, and then I can get tons of shit. I tend to use Cain since he's lucky too.
  • In the less real complaint department, there are still frustratingly random deaths with no way of stopping them. But less frequently so far than in ADOM or the few smaller roguelikes I've tried. And several of the arbitrary deaths have been very amusing, so that certainly cushions the blow.
    With the exception of the very early game, most deaths in Crawl can be traced back to a strategic or tactical mistake on the part of the player. I'm not saying that chance plays no part in it, but the skill of the player is definitely the largest factor.
  • DoomRL is getting a graphical release.
  • SA's been talking about it. That tileset is hot to DEATH.
  • I freaking love Stone Soup, wish there was an iOS version since I p much stopped using my laptop.
  • 7DRL is March 10th - 18th. I'm thinking of participating.
  • edited March 2012
    7DRL is March 10th - 18th. I'm thinking of participating.
    Gahhh! I just started exploring that site and now I wasted an embarrassing amount of time playing this one-dimensional roguelike.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • 7DRL is March 10th - 18th. I'm thinking of participating.
    Gahhh! I just started exploring that site and now I wasted an embarrassing amount of time playing this one-dimensional roguelike.
    A work of genius.
  • I win!
    Absolute genius.
  • .t.......m....%....@.
    On level 13 of the Tunnels of Trepidation.
    Weapon: morning star
    Armor: leather armor
    Carrying: broken crystal sword, damaged diamond armor
    Health: 27 Gold: 218
    You kill the doomking. You have defeated the lord of tunnels. Congratulations.

Press left and right arrows to move, up to jump over enemies
  • What if you jump over the doomking?
  • You can't. I tried before I knew he was doomking.
  • I finally beat Dungeons of Dredmor for the first time on a Medium-Difficulty, Permadeath Run. I went with my Thor Build. (Mace/Dual Wield/Armor/Berzerker/Viking Magic/Big Game/Piracy) An odd thing happened though that really angered me during the 11th floor, was that my melee power and burliness and armor absorption went down the crapper just...randomly. Maybe it came from Muscle Diggles hitting me or putting some points into Viking Magic or I hit a certain cap, but it got really hard.

I really lucked out on fighting Dredmor, especially when my stats lowered like mad. Hits with lightning bolts for 49 damage and I only have 102 hits points? Thank god for those Satanic Glyphs (And Golden Crossbow!)
  • I very slightly modded the code on that tunnels of trepidation to add a gradually dwindling torchlight (you can buy a torch for 10 at any shop to refresh it). If the light expires completely "You are eaten by a grue." follows soon after.
  • If you have Dreadmor, stop by the Steam page for it to grab some free DLC. It adds a few more skill trees, as well as Steam Workshop integration for mods.