This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110622 - Anime Only Rym or Scott has Seen

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider anime and comics that only Rym, or only Scott, has seen. In order (surprisingly), we thus present Wolverine, Iron Man, X-Men, Galaxy Railways, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Votoms, Scrapped Princess, Patlabor,
Odoru Daisosasen/Bayside Shakedown (which we've actually both seen), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, 7 Billion Needles, Urusei Yatsura (manga), Ranma 1/2, and Rose of Versailles.

But before all of that, Spiderman is dead, AKB48's newest member is fake, and Makoto Shinkai's studio is looking cloud and power line interns.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited June 2011
    "Glico is hosting a "Oshimen Maker" web program that allows people to create their own virtual AKB48 member by combining the features of different members. 5 million combinations are possible."

Ph33r.. ph33r!

If you find the first Odoru Daisousasen film, stick it on Bittorent.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Rym and Scott are not in favor of poor grammar, so I need a judgement on if the title of this podcast is properly written.
  • 2. When two or more singular nouns or pronouns are connected by or or nor, use a singular verb.

The book or the pen is in the drawer.
    Purdue University
  • Alright. It was screwing with me because in this case, anime is being used as a plural, so I was hung up on that.
  • Scrym might want to come up with a few synonymous phrases for "Terrible Secret of Outer Space" considering how many times it was brought up.
  • On anime that were forced to end early: Mobile Suit Gundam was canceled but Tomino was allowed four episodes to end the series.

Most modern anime doesn't get canceled, because networks agree to a certain number of episodes, but budgets get slashed. Evangelion had its budget slashed in the last handful of episodes because TV Tokyo freaked out. Melody of Oblivion's budget was slashed for the last handful of episodes. But this happens fairly often.
  • I had seen the Mameshiba shorts scattered on Youtube before, but it was great to see a proper site for them, so thanks for the link. I recently adopted a Shiba Inu and love these shorts even more now. I really hope a series comes out of this, either in the same vignette format, or something like "Jagainu-kun" (Dogtato). Anime really needs more things like Mameshiba: cute, quirky, almost edgy, and with a wide appeal; besides they don't seem that expensive to make, and I think it could serve as a model for simple and cheap animation that is not necessarily adult themed or crude as is often the case.
  • If Scott watching Haruhi, will he watch it in the order as it was released on air or the DVD order?
  • If Scott watching Haruhi, will he watch it in the order as it was released on air or the DVD order?
    If you know you're watching it out of order it losses some of the effect.
    If Scott watching Haruhi, will he watch it in the order as it was released on air or the DVD order?
    I already know the show has weird orders. Some people watch it in one order and other people watch it in chronological order. Which order was intended by the creators?
  • I already know the show has weird orders. Some people watch it in one order and other people watch it in chronological order. Which order was intended by the creators?
    Both, Actually. IIRC, in the Next episode previews, there's always one from Harui, and one from Kyon, with one telling you the next in Chronological order, and the other in broadcast order, though I can't remember which one tells you which.
  • edited June 2011
    If Scott watching Haruhi, will he watch it in the order as it was released on air or the DVD order?
    The out of order natural of the TV release was half of what made that show awesome. The crazy ramps up as the season progresses with no real reason given for the main character going along with all of Haruhi's schemes and there are all these hints of craziness and references to things that happened chronologically but are yet unknown to the viewer. You are left to wonder what Haruhi's deal is until almost the end of the first season. If you just watch it chronologically, the most interesting mystery, aka Haruhi's "deal" is pretty much laid out in the first 5 episodes.
    I already know the show has weird orders. Some people watch it in one order and other people watch it in chronological order. Which order was intended by the creators?
    The manga was released in chronological order and it came before the TV show. HOWEVER, having seen the show in TV order first and then reading the manga, I think the affect of Haruhi would be far better in TV order.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
    I already know the show has weird orders. Some people watch it in one order and other people watch it in chronological order. Which order was intended by the creators?I think the broadcast order is the intended order. However, in the DVD release, they put it in chronological order. If you are willing to put up with people alluding to things that won't be explained for three episodes, then go with the broadcast order. If not, just watch it chronologically.
  • When I watched Haruhi I watched it chronologically. What it gave to me was about 7 good plot-episodes and rest of the season was fillers with variable quality. TV order most likely handles the pacing better, but then the plot will be thrown all around. I'd say that I prefer the chronological order, but I haven't seen it in TV-order so I can't really form an opinion of it.
  • I think the TV order bunches all the wacky scifi hyjinks towards the end, creating a slow reveal. The chronological order used in the first DVD release puts the reveals all over the place.

According to AWO.
  • I think the TV order bunches all the wacky scifi hyjinks towards the end, creating a slow reveal. The chronological order used in the first DVD release puts the reveals all over the place.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the chronological order puts the plot with wacky scifi hyjinks and reveals in the beginning leaving rest of the season for episodic fillers.
  • Considering how Haruhi Season 2 jumps around chronologically, it may be better to watch both seasons mixed up in chronological order. That would be the most like reading the books.
  • So spoilers:

The reason I like the TV order more is that the whole show is about these robots and time travelers and ESPers doing things to make this crazy girl happy with the threat of doom if what she wants doesn't come to pass but they never explain WHY this is the case or why all these magical people are involved, which was the best mystery of the show. In chronological order you get

1. Crazy girl shows up
    2. robots, ESPers and time travelers show up and say straight up "Haruhi is god and if she isn't happy with reality she'll destroy the world so we have to make sure all her schemes work out"
    3. They do a bunch of schemes that aren't really connected to each other and are of varying quality of humor and fun
    4. Haruhi grows as a person and the world is pulled slightly back from imminent destruction

in TV order you get

1. Crazy girl shows up
    2. They do a bunch of schemes that aren't really connected to each other and are of varying quality of humor and fun while hints are dropped as to why they are doing this
    3. robots, ESPers and time travelers are revealed to be what they are and say straight up "Haruhi is god and if she isn't happy with reality she'll destroy the world so we have to make sure all her schemes work out"
    4. Haruhi grows as a person and the world is pulled slightly back from imminent destruction

Chronologically, the story is just about Haruhi working her way out of her funk while all these crazy characters bend over backwards to make sure her schemes work out around her with no other real mysteries. Out of order, the mysteries are teased in a much more pleasing way that compliments Haruhi's arc so that you end up knowing simultaneously what the big problem is as the problem finally gets solved.

/spoilers
  • I already know the show has weird orders. Some people watch it in one order and other people watch it in chronological order. Which order was intended by the creators?
    Basically, what happened was that they realized that if they put the episodes up in chronological order, the "big payoff" of the series would occur about six episodes in, so they mixed them up to create the so-called Broadcast Order, which is also how most fansubs and fansites organized the episodes.

When the series later came out on DVD, they were in Chronological order from the character's perspective, I believe. I recommend watching it in the chronological order, and skipping "episode 0". FUCK episode 0.
  • I recommend watching it in the chronological order, and skipping "episode 0". FUCK episode 0.
    What's wrong with episode 0? I liked it.
  • Well, remember that when season 2 was released they reordered the series so they matched the events in the light novels. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" Parts 1 - 6 (first novel) then the short stories (which were written before the second novel but were gathered to form the third novel) followed by "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya" Parts 1 - 5 (second novel) then the last three episodes from the original season. Finally, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (fourth novel) which concludes the anime series as it stands right now.

On the wikipedia page you can see the three orders you can watch the original series and the new order after the second season was added. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes

As to which order is best... I don't know. You should probably watch both seasons (only watch one or two Endless Eight's unless you're brave), I think the original broadcast order is more of a novelty now. DevilUKnow is right that the broadcast order works better as a narrative arc in an anime but the existence of the second season plus the fact that the anime (in chronological order) follows the novels almost exactly makes that point moot.

This is a difficult topic to write about...
  • if they put the episodes up in chronological order, the "big payoff" of the series would occur about six episodes in
    This is exactly what happens. Watching them in chronological order basically makes episodes 7 to like 23 into filler.
  • I say broadcast order, since it's the way that most people experienced the show.
  • I say broadcast order, since it's the way that most people experienced the show.
  • I mean, if you watch them in chronological order and you don't end up liking the show, people are just going to tell you it's because you didn't watch it in broadcast order.
  • I recommend watching it in the chronological order, and skipping "episode 0". FUCK episode 0.
    What's wrong with episode 0? I liked it.
    I can't stand humor that derives it's funnyness from being painfully awkward.
  • edited June 2011
    Btw, Rym, I have your Captain Tylor box set right now. Alex and I haven't finished watching it yet.

I think we have your Escaflowne, too. >_>
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I mean, if you watch them in chronological order and you don't end up liking the show, people are just going to tell you it's because you didn't watch it in broadcast order.
    Yeah, screw those people.
  • Btw, Rym, I have your Captain Tylor box set right now. Alex and I haven't finished watching it yet.

I think we have your Escaflowne, too. >_>
    I think you also have my Watchmen Hardcover, LoEG volume 3, and Fire Emblem DS.
  • So spoilers:
    I agree with your opinion of how the show should be viewed.