This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110622 - Anime Only Rym or Scott has Seen

2»

Comments

• I have your Watchmen Hardcover, The Surrogates, and Persepolis. I don't know what LoEG is, and I have my own Fire Emblem.
  • edited June 2011
    Hey Rym and Scott.

Something I always wanted to know. What is your level of communication and/or general banter levels like outside of the show? I find it incredible that for two people who are so close and work together on Geeknights and Conventions, that you *seem* to surprise each other with little things like, Oh, watching an ENTIRE series of this or that, or reading an ENTIRE series of this or that :)

Me and my close circle of friends fire off emails throughout the day about whatever we are up to, random shit etc, but we always know what each other are watching, reading, playing.

Is that a show device - you keep your personal media habits semi private, so that you have some good show material? If so, its cool, I like it.

But when Rym was talking about X-men anime and Scott seemed to be in the dark and then again for Paltabor and Rym seemed to be intrigued that Scott had watched it all.. You REALLY didn't know each other was watching that media??
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Hey Rym and Scott.

Something I always wanted to know. What is your level of communication and/or general banter levels like outside of the show? I find it incredible that for two people who are so close and work together on Geeknights and Conventions, that you *seem* to surprise each other with little things like, Oh, watching an ENTIRE series of this or that, or reading an ENTIRE series of this or that :)

Me and my close circle of friends fire off emails throughout the day about whatever we are up to, random shit etc, but I always know what each other are watching, reading, playing.

Is that a show device - you keep your personal media habits semi private, so that you have some good show material? If so, its cool, I like it.

But when Rym was talking about X-men anime and Scott seemed to be in the dark and then again for Paltabor and Rym seemed to be intrigued that Scott had watched it all.. You REALLY didn't know each other was watching that media??
    Scott watches a lot of anime right before bed, a time he usually doesn't talk to Rym (because after loving each other they tend not to talk about it). Rym came to the shore with me a few weekends without Scott and I showed a few eps of the Marvel stuff. (All I gotta say is X-men gets a lot better, not sure what Rym said about it) Anyhow, Two people that talk daily will still miss bits and pieces because they don't live in the same place anymore.
  • for Paltabor and Rym seemed to be intrigued that Scott had watched it all.. You REALLY didn't know each other was watching that media??
    I knew Scott had seen it all. We watched two of the movies together years ago.

I often pretend I am unaware (or aware) or things on the show depending on the topic and the manner of conversation. ;^)
  • for Paltabor and Rym seemed to be intrigued that Scott had watched it all.. You REALLY didn't know each other was watching that media??
    I knew Scott had seen it all. We watched two of the movies together years ago.

I often pretend I am unaware (or aware) or things on the show depending on the topic and the manner of conversation. ;^)
    And I guess even knowing he has watched it doesn't mean you know how he feels about the show, I'm 99% sure you deliberately save that discussion for GK. The banter.
  • And I guess even knowing he has watched it doesn't mean you know how he feels about the show
    We've discussed the show, and in fact had almost that exact conversation, a long time ago. ;^)
  • Clearly this episode should have been titled Anime Rym xor Scott has Seen.
  • Clearly this episode should have been titled Anime Rym xor Scott has Seen.
    You're hired.
  • Error: xor is undefined for strings.
  • Error: xor is undefined for strings.
    This isn't strings. It's sets.
    s = [set of anime scott has seen]
    r = [set of anime rym has seen]
    [set of anime we can use in this show] = [set of all anime where ((anime in s) xor (anime in r))]
  • edited June 2011
    I was highlighting the fact that "Anime Rym xor Scott has Seen" is neither valid English nor close to any kind of code.

You would have saved yourself some typing by using the symmetric difference operator - the set you want is s ∆ r.
    Also, you should really use curly brackets for sets.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Fine, call it {Anime Rym has seen} ^ {Anime Scott has seen}
  • edited June 2011
    No, you'd want {Anime Rym has seen} ∆ {Anime Scott has seen}.
    Exclusive or applies to boolean values, not sets. Even if exclusive or was valid here, that's not what the symbol ^ generally represents.
  • You would have saved yourself some typing by using the symmetric difference operator - the set you want is s ∆ r.
    I learned something new and it isn't even 7AM!
    I know Python sytnax better than math syntax.
  • I was highlighting the fact that "Anime Rym xor Scott has Seen" is neither valid English nor close to any kind of code.
    Xor is a conjunction, just an exceptionally specific one.
  • Which order was intended by the creators?
    No clue, I'd say watch the broadcasting order of either season 1, or season 2. Season 2 is the chronological order of season 1 plus the new episodes of season 2 (watch all of endless eight if you are this insane). Haruhi just got really popular during the first season run partially because of the out of whack chronology.
  • I watched Scrapped Princess. At first, I was thinking I would really like it. After the first "oh shit" reveal, I was more convinced. By the end... I was pretty meh.

It had a pretty good fantasy world evangelion thing going on for a while, but I found it lacking much of an "aftertaste". Is it weird that I almost feel like there were too many characters for the given plot? There were a ton of characters, a lot of them getting significant screen time, but by the end I don't feel like they were very developed.
  • edited June 2011
    You would have saved yourself some typing by using the symmetric difference operator - the set you want is s ∆ r.
    I learned something new and it isn't even 7AM!
    I know Python sytnax better than math syntax.
    Well, Python 3 has set literals like {1, 2} and set comprehensions like {x for x in nums if x > 7}, so curly brackets are clearly the way to go.
    I was highlighting the fact that "Anime Rym xor Scott has Seen" is neither valid English nor close to any kind of code.
    Xor is a conjunction, just an exceptionally specific one.
    It's not an English word.