This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic:: Will you be playing?

edited June 2011 in Video Games
So super cool MMO I've followed since 2007 fully voiced and produced by Bioware. Anyone else planning on playing this epic game or is it just me? I have a good feeling about this game, hopefully its the one that dethrones WoW. It was a huge success at E3

Are any of you looking forward to this as much as I am? Release window is now till xmas, will you be playing?

Comments

• Maybe. I really want it to be fun..
  • As a seasoned MMO vet, I am convinced BioWare can deliver a fun (enough) leveling experience and story. I am not convinced they can make end game content to support an MMO long term but I could be wrong. That being said, I will be picking this up and playing. For how long? We shall see. If enough FRCF peeps are on board, I'd love to start whatever their equivalent of a guild is.
  • Yes, I probably will. Because, despite it being an MMO, it will also be a Bioware game and I expect will have a great story apart from any online aspects.
  • Unless it has TIE-Fighter style real-time space battles, I'm not interested. I got KOTOR for cheap on Steam, and barely played it because it was so boring. Also, You already know what I think of MMORPGs. A combination of the two is not sounding too good.
  • If it's a one time purchase deal like guild wars, maybe. If it's pay by the month, not a chance.
  • edited June 2011
    hopefully its the one that dethrones WoW
    Nothing can dethrone WoW. I'm convinced that it's utterly impossible at this point. And MMO's need to stop trying to do it.

EDIT: Also, I was burned by Star Wars: Galaxies, so I now approach all Star Wars games with extreme skepticism.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • so I now approach all Star Wars games with extreme skepticism.
    Unless it's a freespace shooter.
  • Unless it's a freespace shooter.
    No, even those. I have complete confidence in everyone's ability to totally drop the ball on anything Star Wars related. See George Lucas.
  • Andrew - Star Wars Roguelike.
  • Nothing can dethrone WoW. I'm convinced that it's utterly impossible at this point. And MMO's need to stop trying to do it.

EDIT: Also, I was burned by Star Wars: Galaxies, so I now approach all Star Wars games with extreme skepticism.
    The only people who have screwed up Star Wars so far is Sony and George Lucas. Everyone else has done a pretty good job from LucasArts to whoever made Rogue Squadron.
  • Rogue Squadron.
    OK, there's one.

KotOR sucked balls. There, I said it.
  • KotOR sucked balls. There, I said it.
    I would have been a lot happier without those freaking bugs :-p

However it was Bioware before they perfected the genre :-p
  • OK, there's one.
    X-Wing, Tie Fighter and the dark forces games (through Jedi Knight)
  • I liked Battlefront and Battlefront 2...
  • I liked the Jedi Academy games...
  • X-Wing, Tie Fighter
    Y'know, it's been a long time since I played either of those games. I have fond memories of them.

I also had fond memories of He-Man.
    Me too.

As for the Kotor MMO, I played WoW for a few years, and I doubt I'm going to play another "MMO" of that kind ever again. If the story turns out to be incredibly amazing, I'll wait for a high quality Let's Play to pop up on youtube and watch that.
  • Y'know, it's been a long time since I played either of those games. I have fond memories of them.

I also had fond memories of He-Man.
    Those games are still solid, though you have to get past the dated graphics and your possible lack of a flight stick (which I have :-p)
  • TOR = WoW with lightsabers.

There is no hope.
  • Nope. I can trust Bioware to make single-player rpgs with good writing and maybe even tolerable gameplay, but I have no interest of playing my Star Wars fantasies in a world filled with Jedi named P3n15-saber and Sith called Darth Rectum. So wake me up when Bioware announces their next singleplayer game.
  • Nope. I can trust Bioware to make single-player rpgs with good writing and maybe even tolerable gameplay, but I have no interest of playing my Star Wars fantasies in a world filled with Jedi named P3n15-saber and Sith called Darth Rectum. So wake me up when Bioware announces their next singleplayer game.
    Is it really such a hard and difficult thing to push all these names past a human being and have them click "Acceptable" or "Not Acceptable" and then add the not acceptable ones to a blacklist to automate it later?

It was a slight pain on some MUDs I used to play on in the 90's waiting for a mod to approve your name but you can have the tutorial playing while you wait, or the intro videos and such.

Just going through that small amount of effort would do wonders for the reputation of the role playing aspect of the game.