This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome Pro Wrestling Videos

edited June 2011 in Everything Else
I'm starting this thread so that the Hardcored Into a Corner thread doesn't get too heavily derailed with wrestling geekery. The objective of this thread is simple, find awesome wrestling online and share it with fellow fans and those curious about this most unique form of "sport."
We'll begin with British wrestling and the incomparable rubber man of the ring, Johnny Saint.
baEDty-FPJ4
2h4qJ8Fz1-k
Zv3Y_KGour4
I'll post more later, I want to find some good New Japan to share.

Comments

• I don't have a whole match to share with you guys but I'll make this video quick.
    Now that was some Street Fighter 4 Ultra Combo bullshit.
  • This is not a great match, but it's a fun demonstration of good American wrestling before the big late 90s boom.
  • edited June 2011
    Ok this is my last video of the night, hopefully this thread doesn't turn into just the "Me and Hitman talk about wrestling" thread.

Anyway this match is much more recent from 2009 from my favorite promotion Chikara Pro. As a note if people are interested in this their podcast has been showing similar full matches for a while now. This is possibly the best one they have up currently and showcases some really great high flying styles of wrestling.

P.S. for the impatient the match starts at around the 1 minute mark
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • While I will agree with Hitman Hart that New Japan Pro Wrestling is some of the best wrestling out there (I've got a Jushin Liger tattoo to prove it), for some hard hitting wrestling, All Japan is a nice alternative. So, I'm posting five parts of a video of the match that arguably defines All Japan Pro Wrestling. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada from June 3rd, 1994 for the All Japan Triple Crown heavyweight championship.

• This is more my style.
  • While I will agree with Hitman Hart that New Japan Pro Wrestling is some of the best wrestling out there (I've got a Jushin Liger tattoo to prove it), for some hard hitting wrestling, All Japan is a nice alternative.
    I just want to note that All Japan is a very different promotion now than it was when these videos were shot. Misaswa and Kobashi among others left All Japan after the death of the original owner, Giant Baba, to form Pro Wrestling NOAH. NOAH had a few really good years during the first half of the 2000s, but they began a slow decline as their star wrestlers began to break down and they did not push some of their fantastic young talent the way they should have to replace the old guys. Things got worse when Misawa passed away during a match when he landed wrong on a back suplex. They're losing fans by the ton and still praying that a broken down Kenta Kobashi to get the numbers up once again. All Japan was going along well as a relatively small company until a big scandal about a month ago when a wrestler was beaten up in a backstage fight, still went out to do a match, and then had a stroke almost immediately after the match. Keiji Mutoh, who some of you might recognize as the Great Muta, stepped down as president to take responsibility for the incident, so they're in an odd state of flux.
  • This is more my style.
    (Andre vs Hogan video)
    Nothing wrong with that, enjoy what you like. That's the best part about wrestling, there's so many styles that there should be one that appeals to you, if you enjoy pro wrestling.
  • What, 7 posts and no Undertaker vs. Mankind Hell In a Cell Footage?

Also, the original TLC match:
  • Wrestlemania 17 has been so hard to find without the blurring that to me it's almost a "lost" show and my desire to hunt for it was greatly reduced by the Benoit situation because I just don't feel comfortable watching him anymore.
  • What, 7 posts and no Undertaker vs. Mankind Hell In a Cell Footage?
    You just beat me to it. Back when I was into wrestling, I watched that match live with my jaw hanging open.
  • Wrestlemania 17 has been so hard to find without the blurring that to me it's almost a "lost" show and my desire to hunt for it was greatly reduced by the Benoit situation because I just don't feel comfortable watching him anymore.
    Agreed about Benoit. It's sad that a good quarter of my favorite matches involved Chris Benoit, but due to the double murder and suicide, I just can't watch his matches anymore.
  • In memory of Randy "Macho Man" Savage, here is a great Memphis tag match with his brother Lanny Poffo against my third favorite tag-team of all time, The Rock and Roll Express:
  • This is an awesome promo by your NEW Ring Of Honor World Champion, Davey Richards
  • Can't tell if serious or SUPER meta

• Can't tell if serious or SUPER meta

Probably a bit of both. Colt Cabana has a podcast called Art of Wrestling, and this episode mirrors some of what he said in that video.
  • Based on some stuff I've read about the next episode of Raw(they taped two shows on Monday) it sounds like it's super meta.

• This is not the best New Japan video, but it is a darn fine match between Hiroshi Tanahashi and Giant Bernard(who some of you might remember as Albert in WWE)
  • You know, most of the Japanese matches here are super serious, which is all well and good, but in a staged event like Pro Wrestling, it's perfectly fine to indulge on the silly

Yes, that is a blow up doll, I'm actually pretty sure he was the hardcore champion of the DDT promotion at some point as well.
  • Yes, that is a blow up doll, I'm actually pretty sure he was the hardcore champion of the DDT promotion at some point as well.
    The Wrestler, or the Blowup Doll? Let's face it, both are equally likely.
  • The Blowup Doll, that fucker has some sweet moves up it's sleeve.
  • Actually I thought the blowup doll thing was kind of silly, then I met a fan of that wrestling and he explained to me that it is more acting with the doll making them do moves on themselves. Once you pick up on that then it clicks and you get a better appreciation for it.
  • edited July 2011
    I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I saw a gif or clip of Kota Ibushi giving himself a Canadian Destroyer type move with the doll, it's fun times I guess, as long as you're careful. I've been trying to find some good Ebessan matches to show off Japanese comedy wrestling though.
    EDIT: Canadian Destroyer!
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Wow, I should watch some Japanese wrestling. That stuff looks like it's infinitely entertaining.
  • Here is the entire match for context. Trust me, it gets way more ridiculous.
    Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

The DDT promotion has forgotten more about giving a fuck than I can ever hope to know.
  • While not pro wrestling, but MMA, I think this is a great match. No, it's not a sweet submission or a nice kick or punch. Just two guys going out and beating the holy bloody hell out of each other until one can't answer.
  • edited July 2011
    That fight is notable for having one trained MMA fighter in Don Frye and one pro wrestler who is totally not a trained for real fighting in Takayama, but Takayama is so tough that he manages to hold his own.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on

• This is just a little reminder that women's pro wrestling doesn't have to be 14 women in a tag match where only 2 wrestle for a minute and botch half the moves.
  • That was hilarious and adorable.
  • This is the match that I show to anyone who derides wrestling out of hand. It's the Motor City Machine Guns vs. Masato Yoshino and Naruki Doi match from the World X Cup tournament that TNA held a few years ago. Somewhat notable for it's geekery because one member of the Motor City Machine Guns, Chris Sabin, is a huge gamer and takes his ring name from his favorite character in Final Fantasy 6. I couldn't find a youtube link anymore, so I had to go with DailyMotion. :/

Motorcity Machineguns Vs Masato Yoshino & Naruki... by RaineSnake