This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where can I get Bayside Shakedown?

edited June 2011 in Everything Else
I really want to watch this movie but I cant find it anywhere. No live torrents, no direct download places, no streaming sites. Anypony can help me out?

Comments

• Yeah, no. I had a digital version of the second movie and the TV series a while back, but no first movie. There are DVDs you can get off import sites, but I've heard the subs are either bad or nonexistent. Somewhere in a box I have a CD-R bootleg of it with readable/understandable, though still kinda bad, English subs. As far as I know, there is basically no simple way to get this movie.
  • edited June 2011
    There are quite a few live torrents on asiatorrents (all three movies and the TV show I believe), I've got a few invites I could give out if registration's not open.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Someone in Rochester needs to go to Video Barn. They had a DVD with pretty good subtitles. That's how we watched it. Stupidly I never copied it. Someone get it and rip it.
  • Man, those were good times. Renting shit from Video Barn and gathering around to watch these strange foreign movies and shows.
  • edited June 2011
    There are quite a few live torrents on asiatorrents (all three movies and the TV show I believe), I've got a few invites I could give out if registration's not open.
    I'll take an invite and then create a new torrent for FRCF people to download it after I have the file. PM'd you my email.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2011
    This is where I torrented the TV episodes (and specials) from. If there aren't any seeders, I can seed any of those torrents, as I still have them on a hard drive.
    This works for the second movie.
    I have the first movie on my hard drive; I'll just see if I can find the torrent I used.
    EDIT: I think I downloaded it from here; it wasn't a torrent.

On that note, apparently there's a third movie now. I guess I'll be watching that.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited June 2011
    Ok, so I downloaded all six files. How do you play them? Do I really have to burn VCDs or something?

Never mind, works in VLC.

Aoshimaaaa!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've got the .iso files for the TV series (sans specials). I could bundle them up and toss them on the pirate bay or I could rip them if someone could tell me how to make it not look like shit (probably the better option since my upstream's a bit shit).
  • This is where I torrented the TV episodes (and specials) from. If there aren't any seeders, I can seed any of those torrents, as I still have them on a hard drive.
    This works for the second movie.
    I have the first movie on my hard drive; I'll just see if I can find the torrent I used.

On that note, apparently there's a third movie now. I guess I'll be watching that.
    Thanks a bunch. Now I can finally show other people this.
  • What is the correct viewing order? I've only ever seen the two movies.
  • Correct order is the TV series, its specials (Nenmatsu tokubetsu keikai, Wangansho fukei monogatari shoka no kotsuanzen, Aki no hanzai bokumetsu), then the movies.
  • @Sail: Very excellent. Will set for extended seed.

Hmm.. some of these IP addresses are probably people on the forum. It's a shame bittorent lacks the feature where you can go in and look at what other people have in their libraries.
  • Can anyone find CD1 for Nenmatsu tokubetsu keikai Special?
  • Is that the first disc of this? If so, here it is. They spelled it Odrou, not Odoru so it doesn't show up.
  • Is that the first disc of this? If so, here it is. They spelled it Odrou, not Odoru so it doesn't show up.
    Korean subs only. A lot of the ones I have downloaded don't have English subs, or have broken subs.

I have the 11 TV episodes and the first two real movies. I need the newest movie, and the TV specials with english subtitles that work.
  • That site has all the English subs, just gotta look at the posts. I can post them when I get home though.
  • Yeah, I got it from d-addicts and it didn't have a subtitle for that special. All of the other specials and TV episodes had English subtitles, but not that one.
  • edited July 2011
    Wait, I was wrong in my previous comment. If you look here, there is a download link for subtitles for the Saimatsu Tokubetsu Keikai special (as separate .SMI files matched to the English subtitles).

However, I failed to find subtitles for #4 or #5 from the list below, and I didn't even download #5 so I didn't try to find any subtitles. I'll have another look and post back soon.

Here's a quote from here summarizing the viewing order and content:
    I've seen the entire series including the movies and the specials once, but I can't really remember if the specials and whatnot needed to be watched in order. But I'd assume you wouldn't go wrong if you watched everything in order. Looking at the Japanese wikipedia, it looks as if this is the order in which they came out:

1 TV series (Jan-March 1997)
    2 Saimatsu Tokubetsu Keikai SP (Dec 1997) - I'm assuming this is what you have listed as the "newyears" special. I'd say this special should be watched, as it follows the main characters, just as in the TV series.
    3 Shoka no Koutsuu Anzen SP (Jun 1998) - This one was a spin-off which followed the story of a character played by Uchida Yuki. It has nothing to do with the main story. This is probably the one that you have listed as "summer."
    4 Aki no Hanzai Bokumetsu SP (Oct 1998) - This is the SP that aired just before the first movie came out, and this also is more or less a continuation of the series. This is the "autumn" special.
    5 Shinya mo Odoru Daisousasen SP (Oct 1998) - I'd assume that this is the one that is labeled "3-worst," as it is subtitled "Wangan Shijou Saiaku no 3-nin.' This was a series of short stories aired once a night for five nights, and were spin-offs that followed the 'three amigos' from the main series..
    6 Odoru Daisousasen THE MOVIE (Oct 1998)
    7 Shinya mo Odoru Daisousasen 2 SP (Jul 2003) - The same kinda thing as the first, which was aired in promotion for the second movie.
    8 Odoru Daisousasen THE MOVIE 2 (Jul 2003)

This is just everything before the second movie. As you probably know, there was another series of spin-offs in 2005 (the "Odoru Legend" series), including two movies and a couple of specials, which followed the supporting characters from the main series (I haven't seen any of these). In addition 'Odoru Daisousasen THE MOVIE 3' is planned for a Summer 2010 release.

Anyway, I'd suggest watching the TV series first, then the 'newyears' special, then the 'autumn' special, then followed by the two movies. The 'summer' special and '3-worst' special can probably be watched at any time, as long as you have already seen the TV series.

EDIT: Oh, wow. I just realized that this was a really old thread that had been bumped... Lol. Well, hopefully this information will be helpful to somebody...
  • edited July 2011
    What we need to do is find all the odoru we can (with subtitles for as many as we can) and put it all into one big torrent. Based on the above numbering (adding movie 3 as number 11), I have / know where to get the video for all of these bar #5 and #7, but am missing subtitles for #3, #4, and possibly #9.
  • edited July 2011
    I've got 1-4, 6, 8, and can get 9, but I've not got subs for 3 either. We should maybe agree on a format too, I've got DVD .isos for the TV series as well as the ones from D-Addicts and 1.37gb rips of movies 1 and 2, but could get >4.8gb Blu Ray rips of all three if that's what we want to do.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited July 2011
    From Wikipedia, English translations for the titles of the aforementioned, with some other things mentioned: (Note: I've reassigned the numbers compared to my previous post)
    1) 1997 January–March: TV Drama.
    2) 1997 December: Special episode, Bayside Shakedown: Year-End Special Alert
    3) 1998 June: Extra episode, Bayside Shakedown: Wangan Police Station Female Police Officers' Story.
    4) 1998 October: Special episode, Bayside Shakedown: Autumn Campaign for Crime Eradication
    5) Possibly not mentioned on the Wiki page.
    6) 1998 October: Bayside Shakedown: The Movie
    7) Possibly not mentioned on the Wiki page.
    8) 2003 Summer: Bayside Shakedown 2.
    9) 2005: Two "spin-off" movies were made, the first was titled Tokyo Subway Panic based on the character of Mashita as a police negotiator, and the second movie released that year The Suspect was based on the character of Muroi. Another spin-off, Tobosha Jyoichiro Kijima was recorded for the DVD release of the Tokyo Subway Panic
    10) 2007: For a Japanese variety show, Trivia no Izumi, a new spin-off was made for a minor character from Tokyo Subway Panic (who did not even have a name at the time), titled Keigokan Uchida Shinzo.
    11) 2010 Summer: Bayside Shakedown 3.

As for format, these are things that I'd say should be preferred, in order of importance:
    • One file for each episode/movie/special
    • MKV container with soft subtitles rather than hard subtitles
    • 720p quality H.264 video
  • edited July 2011
    Here's the folder naming scheme I've come up with for the things I seem to have at the moment. Please improve upon it if you can.
    (1997a) Bayside Shakedown
    (1997b) Bayside Shakedown - Year-End Special Alert
    (1998a) Bayside Shakedown - Wangan Police Station Female Police Officers' Story
    (1998b) Bayside Shakedown - Autumn Campaign for Crime Eradication
    (1998c) Bayside Shakedown - The Movie
    (2003) Bayside Shakedown 2
    (2010) Bayside Shakedown 3

I don't have English subtitles for 1998a nor 1998b, and I don't have video for either of the specials that accompanied the movies (#5 and #7 from before).

Alternatively we could classify into Episodes/Specials/Movies at the top of the hierarchy. There's also 12 minutes of subtitled outtakes for the episodes, which might as well be included, probably as a subfolder of 1997a.
  • edited July 2011
    A couple of other ideas, before I go to sleep:
    1) Include a version number in the title of the torrent, to make updating it with newly found stuff a graceful process.
    2) Assuming these actually support the creators, provide links to them (or better links) with the torrent. In particular, this is, I believe, the elusive #7 from my list. If someone buys one of these as a result, that's decidedly better than zero people buying one of these.
  • A couple of other ideas, before I go to sleep:
    1) Include a version number in the title of the torrent, to make updating it with newly found stuff a graceful process.
    2) Assuming these actually support the creators, provide links to them (or better links) with the torrent. In particular, this is, I believe, the elusive #7 from my list. Someone might buy it, and that's better than zero people buying it.
    Depending on the price I'm willing to buy some discs, but only if there's going to be a guarantee of subtitles. I'm not going to pay a ton of money for a DVD I can never watch because we're waiting for someone to fansub it, and they never finish.
  • edited July 2011
    It's only the movies that have subtitles, and the movies all already have subtitles with the torrents. You wouldn't be getting anything you can't already get with a torrent, but giving people money is nice.
    Also, look at this hilarious pricing for the limited edition Japanese box set.
    The Hong Kong versions of everything are a lot cheaper, though. I don't know what the exact deal is with that, but apparently there's typically different distributors.

EDIT: This category covers almost all of Bayside Shakedown; several with English subtitles.
  • The Hong Kong versions of everything are a lot cheaper, though. I don't know what the exact deal is with that, but apparently there's typically different distributors.
    That's because they are bootleg and the money goes to criminal organizations.
  • edited July 2011
    The Hong Kong versions of everything are a lot cheaper, though. I don't know what the exact deal is with that, but apparently there's typically different distributors.
    That's because they are bootleg and the money goes to criminal organizations.
    Yeah, that was my first thought, but I think it was wrong. I don't think they can straight-up sell bootlegs on a reasonably big name website with international shipping.

I'm pretty sure legitimate HK products would exist, and if they do, then they would necessarily need to be cheap in order to compete with the bootlegs; besides, Japan's pricing can only work in Japan (and even then I'm not sure...). After all, legitimate U.S. releases are also way, way cheaper than Japanese ones, but they're (hopefully) not mostly bootlegs. Also, a quick Google strongly supports YesAsia being a reliable site.

I do agree with the default stance of (comes from HK -> bootleg), but I see good evidence for and little evidence against YesAsia with regards to bootlegs.
  • edited July 2011
    However, even with a legitimate product, there is a further question of where you want your money to be going to - i.e. what proportion goes to the distributor as opposed to the people that actually matter?

EDIT:
    While we're on the topic, CDJapan is another site that provides a similar service.
    Incidentally YesAsia has a Wikipedia page, from which I see:
    Headquarters Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, U.S.
    Revenue $34,933,000 (2010)
    They're about as big as Amazon is, and they have headquarters in Japan, though they are mainly based in HK. This is the company that beat out Amazon in the Asian market.
  • Also, look at this hilarious pricing for the limited edition Japanese box set.
    HAHA 600$! I have everything except for the 3rd movie. I wonder if the HK version is dubbed in Cantonese or not. Its most likely bootleg though.