This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

edited June 2011 in Technology
Google's answer to facebook.

Thoughts?

Also, i'm currently in on the field test of the product, so I can answer some questions.

Comments

• Do you think it's really going to be an answer to facebook, or is it more an answer to Twitter?

Also, do you have any invites?
  • It seems that you can't use Google+ unless you have a Google profile, which Google Apps users can not get yet.

(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
  • edited June 2011
    It seems that you can't use Google+ unless you have a Google profile, which Google Apps users can not get yet.

(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
    Edit: Admittedly, I keep an @gmail account around for things like this.
    Post edited by GauntletWizard on
  • is it more an answer to Twitter
    Google Buzz?
  • I'm doubtful of its future, but then again, I'm can't come up with a good explanation of its popularity. As a person who is in the 2015 group for his college, I find the posts there annoying and spam-y. I can't imagine the circles being so much different. It is extremely rare that I have multiple things to share with the same preset group of people. The only real context where I need to do so are things like sharing notes with everyone in the class. The part of my mind that tries to like everything thinks that this might be a good service for people whose groups are more sharply defined than mine are as a teenager. Hoever, in opposition to that argument, if not teenagers and college kids, who is the target demographic?
  • is it more an answer to Twitter
    Google Buzz?
    Google's potentially successful answer to Twitter?
  • if not teenagers and college kids, who is the target demographic?
    Spoken like a true marketing wizard.
  • I have a theory that the true demographic of facebook is anyone who really want to get laid, as they delude themselves into thinking it is an easy way to seem open and social. Now that facebook has become popular with old luddites, this demographic has expanded into people who don't realize they desperately want to get laid.
  • Even if this was just Facebook with the Google interface design on it, I'm already jumping ship.
  • Basically from what I can tell, Google Plus is the following

circles = facebook
    sparks = reddit/digg
    hangouts = foursqaure with video skype
    huddle = twitter
    instant upload = flickr with automatic uploading to the 'cloud'
  • huddle = Beluga
  • To me, it seems that Circles is much more similar to Diaspora's Aspects than Facebook's Friends List.
    This is a Good Thing. In my case, the major failing of Facebook was that it allowed no tiering of connections, so that the concept of Friend was diluted to almost complete meaninglessness.

On a different note, that '+1' idiom's really going to tug at the game nerd mentality.

It's so true. ;__;
  • I agree mostly with Josh about where Google+ is pulling from. No one has invites right now except Google employees and organizations that Google specifically gave them to for press purposes. It seems the g+ is the forerunner to take out Facebook because the implementation is well done and google's permanence on the internet is likely going to contribute to its success.

P.S - I'll let everyone know when I have invites.
  • I'll wager someone 20 rupees we see a Facebook update within the next 2 months as a response
  • edited June 2011
    I'll wager someone 20 rupees we see a Facebook update within the next 2 months as a response
    Doesn't matter because facebook can never be as integrated into my life or my mobile experience as Google is. Even if Google, straight up, made a facebook clone, it would be better for me by default.

Honestly, the instant upload feature made me squee the most. I've been wanting that on Android forever.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • From first reading it seems like Google is on the way to implementing Social Venn with Circles. The Circles icon is even a mini Venn diagram.

• Ooh, you've blocked some nonexistent people.
  • Everyone means "Everyone I'm connected to". Blocked people are those I've actively blocked. Outside of both Everyone and Blocked People is All of Existence. Maybe Everyone should be called All Contacts.
  • Shouldn't "blocked people" then be entirely outside of "everyone" since you are clearly not connected to them?
  • Sad thing is, that no matter how good Google+ will be, it could even print you gold and helicopters and still there would be huge amount of people who wouldn't use it because they are perfectly happy with Facebook and all their friends are there.
  • Shouldn't "blocked people" then be entirely outside of "everyone" since you are clearly not connected to them?
    I'm guessing some people he tries to block still manage to get through to him sometimes.
  • It's just semantics. I have a connection with blocked people, as they are in my black-list. If I want to share something with EVERYONE IN EXISTENCE then it is no longer social media. Then it's just my blog, which is part of the open internet.
  • It is extremely rare that I have multiple things to share with the same preset group of people
    I am the opposite way, in that this sort of communication is the majority of my communication. Collaborating on projects, coordinating crew gatherings, playing games, flash-organizing at conventions: communicating with discrete groups of people repeatedly is a killer app.
  • I am the opposite way, in that this sort of communication is the majority of my communication. Collaborating on projects, coordinating crew gatherings, playing games, flash-organizing at conventions: communicating with discrete groups of people repeatedly is a killer app.
    As I said, I think that can be largely attributed to the differences in our ages, and now I realize lifestyles. My circles of friends are more volatile as an 18 year old than yours are as a member of a well defined crew. Furthermore, you have a job and take on leadership in stuff (ie conventions), meaning that you interact with the same people on a regular basis. On the other hand, I and other teenagers tend to be in classes with varied groups of people and don't have much which is analogous to taking on responsibility at a convention.
  • As I said, I think that can be largely attributed to the differences in our ages, and now I realize lifestyles. My circles of friends are more volatile as an 18 year old than yours are as a member of a well defined crew
    At 18, I had two distinct crews, plus the marching band, the separate jazz band, various clubs, etc... Each social circle was largely distinct, and aside from the lack of the Front Row Crew, wasn't actually much different from what it is now in terms of structure.

It's not age, it's just lifestyle.
  • edited June 2011
    I also had a few circles of friends I would walk through in high school. I mean, in high school, clique was the thing.

Everyone had one circle of 4-5 friends that was almost mutually exclusive from any other circle of 4-5 friends. Even within say, The Band KidsTM, I hung out with one small circle of about 3-4 that played D&D. Within the technology lab kids, I hung out with one small circle of about 3-4 that like to talk about how l33t they were, although I actually did learn quite a bit from them, like how to use FreeBSD. I personally had like 3 real friends in 3 different social circles and the rest were all acquaintances.

If you're going to talk acquaintances, then shit, everything you say is right. You meet some folks in one class. Done with class? Fuck 'em, got new peeps in new class. Do activity X at school and meet some folks. Change from activity X to activity Y, fuck peeps from activity X and now hang with activity Y peeps. Those aren't friends. Those are acquaintances; people with whom you've become acquainted, but don't actually care to see ever again if circumstances require any amount of effort on your part.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • You lazy kids with your loud music and your wanton sexual exploits! Get off my lawn! I'm ooolllldddd
  • If you're going to talk acquaintances, then shit, everything you say is right. You meet some folks in one class. Done with class? Fuck 'em, got new peeps in new class.
    Funnily, that was one thing I never really experienced. My high school was highly segregated based on ability, so it was mostly all the same kids in all of my classes. Unless I took a general ed class, I shared every room with the same 23 or so students.
  • Funnily, that was one thing I never really experienced. My high school was highly segregated based on ability, so it was mostly all the same kids in all of my classes. Unless I took a general ed class, I shared every room with the same 23 or so students.
    My high school was your high school. WTF you talking about? I mean, we only got 1, maybe 2 non-gen ed courses at any time. I always took Tech classes (electronics, etc).