This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

1111213141517»

Comments

• I say that because these are the links for BMW on both Facebook and G+:

http://www.facebook.com/BMW
    https://plus.google.com/108136067785725261618/posts

If I were to try going to https://plus.google.com/bmw I would get a 404 error page.
  • I say that because these are the links for BMW on both Facebook and G+:

http://www.facebook.com/BMW
    https://plus.google.com/108136067785725261618/posts

If I were to try going to https://plus.google.com/bmw I would get a 404 error page.
    The only purpose of having urls that are named as such is for non-digital marketing. You can put up a billboard with facebook.com/BMW and people will possibly remember that. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if your URL is a bunch of numbers or not. Most people are going to be using a URL shortener anyway!
  • Most people are going to be using a URL shortener anyway!
    Most people? Your country of one then?
  • RymRym
    edited November 2011
    Most people are going to be using a URL shortener anyway!
    Most people? Your country of one then?
    Everyone in the twitto-blogo-technorati sphere. All the hep Internet cats use them or Google. URLs barely exist to them, and Google is basically DNS.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Google+'s age restriction has been removed, so here I am.
  • I like one side effect of threads coming back from the dead years later: I feel like an archaeologist uncovering the remains of some long-lost civilization. CaseyJParker, who are you? Where did you go?
  • edited March 2015
    Okay, I work on Google+, and Google's social products are very far from dead.
    Also, Google+ isn't nearly as much of a ghost town as the tech blogs want you to believe.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Okay, I work on Google+, and Google's social products are very far from dead.
    Also, Google+ isn't nearly as much of a ghost town as the tech blogs want you to believe.

I gave up Facebook and use Google Plus quite a while ago, people are slowly migrating over.
    Google communities are great.

American Tech Blogs continue to be insular and not realise that the skew in the US is not the same as the rest of the world
  • What is this "rest of the world" you keep going on about?

IIRC, hasn't G+ been substantially bigger than twitter for quite some time now?

• G+ is difficult to measure, because everyone with a Google account has it, but many don't use it. Active users is the more accurate number.
  • Greg said:

G+ is difficult to measure, because everyone with a Google account has it, but many don't use it. Active users is the more accurate number.

No social network can be accurately measured in that sense (except maybe for Ping). There are many Facebook accounts that are just forwarding Twitter messages (and vice versa).

I have a Facebook account but don't use it yet it is active who restricts themselves to that cesspool needs to contact me they can do so and I can respond when required.
  • edited March 2015
    sK0pe said:

Greg said:

G+ is difficult to measure, because everyone with a Google account has it, but many don't use it. Active users is the more accurate number.

No social network can be accurately measured in that sense (except maybe for Ping). There are many Facebook accounts that are just forwarding Twitter messages (and vice versa).
    Not to mention, if you have a facebook account that you don't use, but you're logged on with your computer and you, say, go to a site with facebook integration for comments, that phone home to facebook from the page causes you to count as an active user.

It's hard to measure, but it's the best we have - because it's not like G+ is the only one fudging their numbers, EVERYBODY is doing it as hard as they possibly can.
    Post edited by Churba on

Google+ seems like a ghost town because it gives the user a much better ability to control the information they pull. Facebook fills your feed with lots of stuff in a more "push" manner, which makes it seem busier.

Basically, G+ is a ghost town if you intentionally make it a ghost town. And it gives you the ability to do that.

• G+ and Twitter just suffer from the fact that I only have so much time to look at social media and a vast majority of them are on Facebook. Also Twitter suffers because it's near impossible to have a intelligent conversation with anyone on it...
  • I only use twitter to keep tabs on my kid. Every time I see a sponsored post I block the account.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I only use twitter to keep tabs on my kid. Every time I see a sponsored post I block the account.

Blocking an account does not block sponsored posts from that account. I blocked the Amazon account, but I still see the sponsored post for the Amazon Daily Deal in my feed every day.
  • Not me. I blocked Microsoft, Xbox and a bunch of related accounts and their sponsored posts no longer show up.
  • Churba said:

Okay, I work on Google+, and Google's social products are very far from dead.

IIRC, hasn't G+ been substantially bigger than twitter for quite some time now?

Just checked; Assuming Twitter's been updating their about page regularly, Google+ has 3 times as many 30-day actives as they do.
  • I'm never sure why so many people find Twitter annoying, Facebook a cesspit, Google+ a ghost town, Reddit a hive of scum and villainy, Tumblr too shallow, Instagram only food photos, etc etc. I usually find all these services useful and entertaining... or I simply don't take part. There's no other option for me for any of this.

Twitter is perfect for me, as I only follow 43 people, with a few high frequency tweeters but mostly people who post only once a day or a few times a week. I'm a low frequency type person myself, and like it that way. I have about 3,000 friends on Facebook but the vast majority of those are muted. Or I'm not following them. The only annoying thing about that was the constant event invites from other countries, but now that problem seems to have been fixed.

Hey, remember Ello?
  • Sure do, they send me the occasional email that I delete without reading.
  • edited March 2015
    Twitter is just not useful for anything but self promotion or a short quick message to people. I.E. about the same as a txt message and about as easy as a mass txt message to have a large discussion on as well.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Why would anyone ever use Twitter for anything else but sharing links and jokes? Discussions should happen on discussion forums. At minimum Facebook groups.
  • Why would anyone ever use Twitter for anything else but sharing links and jokes? Discussions should happen on discussion forums. At minimum Facebook groups.

I guess I follow people who are using it wrong :-p
  • Hey, remember Ello?

Ello seemed cool for about a week before they totally fucked up about privacy, and now I don't trust them. :P
  • Google Plus Communities are insanely good, they can and do replace forums when you have a populated one.
  • FYI, I switched email accounts some time ago, so I have a new mostly empty G+. You can find me here now.