This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

Comments

• I like Facebook lists, but they're not supported on the Droid app, and that's mostly where I interact with Facebook. So, if Google+ Circles are supported across the board, that would be a big win for me.
  • I like Facebook lists, but they're not supported on the Droid app, and that's mostly where I interact with Facebook. So, if Google+ Circles are supported across the board, that would be a big win for me.
    It is.
  • The way I see it, Google creates some pretty useful and amazing stuff, even if it doesn't always get off the ground (like Wave). Facebook, not so much.
    Even if this is only Google-branded Facebook clone, it'll be nice to have it work well with Google calendars, contacts, etc., if you tend to use them day-to-day.
    What are the chances of Facebook doing something ridiculously cool, compared to Google? It's worth a shot.

Plus, that's one less password to remember.
  • edited July 2011
    The only reason I continue to use Facebook is to network with friends, family, and colleagues. I have no motivation to switch unless my social circles reach some critical mass of Google+ usage, and I can't really see that happening.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The only reason I continue to use Facebook is to network with friends, family, and colleagues. I have no motivation to switch unless my social circles reach some critical mass of Google+ usage, and I can't really see that happening.
  • The only reason I continue to use Facebook is because I don't have Google+ yet.
    You should make such comments AFTER you've been able to try. At least spit when you know where the fucking bucket is, don't want your enzymes fucking up my drink.
  • The only reason I continue to use Facebook is to network with friends, family, and colleagues. I have no motivation to switch unless my social circles reach some critical mass of Google+ usage, and I can't really see that happening.
  • The only reason I continue to use Facebook is because I don't have Google+ yet.
    You should make such comments AFTER you've been able to try. At least spit when you know where the fucking bucket is, don't want your enzymes fucking up my drink.
    I've seen nothing to indicate that Google+ provides a use outside of what I already use Facebook for.
  • Google+, I know it makes you look cool and exclusive to never let me join, but this is getting old.
  • Google+, I know it makes you look cool and exclusive to never let me join, but this is getting old.
  • Google+: gibe invite plz i report u
  • edited July 2011
    I've seen nothing to indicate that Google+ provides a use outside of what I already use Facebook for.
    The point here is that you cannot use sentences like "The only reason I continue to use Facebook is [your mum]" when you haven't yet used alternatives or had a chance to try the alternatives. Come back with that comment when you have. Then it'll make sense.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • The Huddle thing is awesome. It's part of the app, so Android only for now, but it's really awesome. Some coworkers and I have been using it to curse at each other and make dick jokes.
  • There's an iPhone app supposedly in the works, don't remember if it's still waiting for approval. Hopefully then the huddle thing can be used on the iPhone as well.
  • What are the chances of Facebook doing something ridiculously cool, compared to Google?
    You know what's crazy? Facebook is one of the harder workplaces to get into and nearly on par with Google for the quality of computer folks being hired. I have no idea what the hell they are doing in the background with all that talent. I'm told it has to do with backend networking related stuff.
  • I'm told it has to do with backend networking related stuff.
    Soooo monthly employee-only parties. Social network people actually socially networking with people!
  • I just met a guy who now works for Facebook via an acquisition. He is working on a product that helps employers find employees, to compete with LinkedIn and similar services.
  • It seems I'm in now. Didn't get any kind of notification that they take new members in, I just randomly went to plus.google.com and saw that I was able to sing up.

Also I realized that now I have to take the effort to build the Circles. With facebook I was never too excited about it so I just let people find me and I build my friend list from that. Circles I want to try out, but that method is too slow, so I have to actively find people and determinate who I should add to circles and who I should not.
  • Yup, I'm in too. Doesn't seem like I needed an invite, just went to google.com/plus.
  • Says that invites are closed again. Dang.
  • I still have an invite for whoever invites me to Spotify. Whisper me.
  • Got Google+ invites at the ready, whisper me email addresses if you want in.
  • edited July 2011
    You know what, fuck it. A spotify invite would be nice, but I'm not in the business of depriving people of the Googleverse. Whisper me to get invites.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Okay, invites gone again.
  • 100 requests per minute, I think I may wait until it launches.

What I really want is a Facebook Friend who is on turntable.fm
  • It figures that they'd open invites the night before I have to go to work early in the morning.
  • What I really want is a Facebook Friend who is on turntable.fm
    Go for it
  • I'm grooving on the Circles. I can tell they'll be way better once Metcalf's law is working in my favor. Right now it feels like it's the first day of school, and I got there 45 minutes before my friends and I'm glad I brought a book.

I think sociologists could/should have a field day watching human behavior as we keep setting up and deleting (or abandoning ) social networking sites. Remembered this morning about the archaeologists discovering the remains of Friendster.
  • I really do like circles more than lists. The lists don't seem as intuitive to use and utilize as much as the circles are.