This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dust 514

So, one of my SG friends was talking about this game. He's big into EVE Online, and has been keeping tabs on it. While the game seems to be standard future-FPS fare, the thing that has made me only mildly interested in this PS3 exclusive game is the way CCP has included it in the EVE universe. While not a game I played extensively, what people in EVE will be able to do is use their funds to pay for mercenary forces to raid planets in order to capture them and gain resources. People on the PS3 will be able to sign up to try and accomplish the goals and earn the in-game rewards like funds for their soldier to buy equipment with.
While it's not something I'm going to play, the innovation of having a PC MMO that focuses on space-flight, combat, and resource management have a separate but significant component on the PS3 is pretty interesting.
http://www.dust514.com/

Comments

• Just bombard the fucking planet from space, then haul it to the shipyard.
  • edited June 2011
    I think EVE Online is the most interesting MMO that exists today and its integration with Dust 514 is just as interesting.

There needs to be a lot more information released on how the actual game plays before I'll know if I want anything to do with it. I have a feeling that money/time will be just as, if not more important than skill of the team work variety as pure execution skills will probably be mitigated by the power of weapons and equipment and/or toon skills and stats.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I think EVE Online is the most interesting MMO that exists today and its integration with Dust 514 is just as interesting.

There needs to be a lot more information released on how the actual game plays before I'll know if I want anything to do with it. I have a feeling that money/time will be just as, if not more important than skill of the team work variety as pure execution skills will probably be mitigated by the power of weapons and equipment and/or toon skills and stats.
    I think what they are hoping to do is have the corporations in EVE dump ISK (money) into giving mercenary groups the best equipment and tech possible for attack and defense. That being said, one really organized and skilled group of players, like Sturmgrenadier, will have corps seeking them out as opposed to random indie mercs who just want to jump into a battle.
  • Does SG ever play ArmA?
  • Does SG ever play ArmA?
    Not officially, but I'm sure there are members who do. There are SG members in a whole mess of games, but the biggest have been WWIIOL, Planetside, WoW, World of Tanks, and EvE Online. I know for a fact there are SG people who play CoD and other games, but it's generally not as organized as games they have 'official' presence in.
  • This is how Dust 514 works with EVE

Corps in EVE will create a Battle Contract and when there are enough players for the fight to start, it does.

This seems... problematic. I hope there are some kind of other thing for Dust players to do when waiting for official contracted battles to start. Then again, if there are more EVE contracts being drawn up then there are Dust players, it could mean that EVE players lose interest.

Like I said before, EVE and Dust 514 are interesting... even if they end up being interesting like a train wreck.
  • It's not hard to imagine how they'll deal with slop one direction or the other - Eve "Contracts" can be given a timeout (probably a couple hours) in which, if they are not satisfied, dice are rolled based on the contract size. On the other hand, if we're lacking for Eve contracts, Dust players can be given an automatically generated mission on behalf of one of the four major empires - Gallente attacking Caldari, Amarr attacking Minmatar.