This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Book Club

a1sa1s
edited June 2011 in Suggestions
Dear Scrym,
I would just like to express how much some of us want to hear you speak about some sort of book. It's been 2.5 months since the last time you did that, and I'm guessing everyone who was going to read it, already did, while people who weren't- didn't (duh).
Thank you in advance of not leaving us hanging like last Thursday,
best wishes, yours truly.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    +1

I mowed out Foundation really fast because it was a short book. I was sure we would have a quicker book club this time!

Make sure NEXT time you pick a both you are both enthusiastic about and both want to actually read.

I don't mind that you alternate picking books, but given how similar your reading tastes are, can you maybe find a book that you just both want to read and review fairly fast?

Please. :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • We weren't sure how popular the book club actually was, as we received very little feedback on it compared to other things we do.

This is a surprising turn. ;^)
  • edited June 2011
    +1, but thanks to Rym as well, since my copy only just arrived (also I am currently mired in the stagnant pool of unbelievable character development and dialogue that is Peter F. Hamilton).

Also, a ++1 for maybe sometime hearing you talk about European comics!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • WE ARE MARSHALL BOOK CLUB
  • For the first time, I actually have read the book club book so I will actually listen to this episode when it happens. I'm making a big shift back to book reading so I'm probably going to go back and read some of the past ones at some point. I definitely want to read Snow Crash and then listen to that episode.
  • Link Snow Crash ep? I'm too lazy for search :) That was a good book.
  • So was Lies of Locke lamora. I had never heard of it until book club.
  • Here. (that literally required 3 clicks and 5 button presses(1), BTW)
    There's also a feed if you want to just listen to the book club episodes.

(1)And scrolling. That's where they get you! :-)
  • (that literally required 3 clicks and 5 button presses(1), BTW)
    Your work is dutiful and will save the time of at least one other. Cheers!
  • I definitely try to read the book club books, I just do it on my own pace and sometimes I like to read things other than those in the book club.
  • edited June 2011
    I definitely try to read the book club books, I just do it on my own pace and sometimes I like to read things other than those in the book club.
    Yep, and if we read at the book club pace we would read maybe 4 books a year :P

Maybe we should have "Comic Club". Let us know in advance what comic to read. Then we relate to your review.

Is reading comics not a worthy cause as well?

If I had a heads up for something like Pax Romana, I would have TOTALLY pre-read it for the show.

Comic club I say.

And book club.

Game club anyone? :) :)
  • Game club anyone? :) :)
    That would be cool.

There are a million "backlog" style game clubs that has everyone play some old singleplayer classic (or in some cases "classic") like Psychonauts or Final Fantasy VII but I don't know of any that focus on old PVP games that nobody plays anymore (or have communities so insular and impenetrable that they might as well not exist).

Getting a bunch of FRC and playing something like X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter or Sacrifice would be pretty interesting.
  • Game club sounds like what I did over the summer when I was in middle school. Get a list of SNES games I never played, dedicated 2 days to play them, after that move on to the later portion of the list.
  • Game club anyone? :) :)
    That would be cool.

There are a million "backlog" style game clubs that has everyone play some old singleplayer classic (or in some cases "classic") like Psychonauts or Final Fantasy VII but I don't know of any that focus on old PVP games that nobody plays anymore (or have communities so insular and impenetrable that they might as well not exist).

Getting a bunch of FRC and playing something like X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter or Sacrifice would be pretty interesting.
    Wow, you have played Sacrafice? I thought I was the only one. I can't remember the name of the spell, but opening a rift into hell and watching a hoard of black wispy demons screaming and raving into the enemy forces made me cry with joy.

Bringing the Grim Reaper himself to the battlefield was always a laugh, even if he killed half your guys as well.
  • I'd never played it but I've heard it's really good.

There are a bunch of games on GoG.com that I've wanted to play MP but figured I'd never get too.

Free Space 2, apparently, had PVP.
  • Another 2 weeks without book club. All well, I guess I'll go listen to mr. Burrage pan Asimov's "Nightfall" (1) (I rather liked that short story, even if it was a bit long...)

(1) he has yet to review any of the foundation books.
  • Another 2 weeks without book club. All well, I guess I'll go listen to mr. Burrage pan Asimov's "Nightfall" (1) (I rather liked that short story, even if it was a bit long...)

(1) he has yet to review any of the foundation books.
    I have no intention of reviewing the Foundation books, because I've read them before, and don't intend to read them again. I don't find the stories that compelling (I hate "fixup" novels that are just three or four short stories already published in the pulp magazines combined into a book), though the ideas are nice to think about.

For those who have read Foundation, I recommend listening to the first few episodes of Courtney Brown's Science Fiction and Politics podcast, which is a recording of the discussions in his politics class. Episodes two and three concentrate on Foundation, and I find the points he raises here to be just as, if not more, interesting than the book itself.

For some reason I don't think Rym and Scott will tease out the same level of meaning and insight as a professor of politics.
  • This book *sounds* amazing. I'm pre-ordering.

Ready Player One

Could be a good bookclub candidate?
  • edited September 2011
    Ear, eye, Arm arrived. Read the first few chapters. Hooked me in very quickly. can't wait for the review, will have it finished by end of week, hopefully review at end of month? Early October maybe?

Keep em ticking over I say, can always go back to a review later if you can't read the book right this second.

Edit: Finished Ear, Eye, Arm.

Can't wait to hear the book review. Should be... Interesting...
  • Does anyone want a copy of Ear, Eye, Arm?

It's not really the kind of book I would keep.

First to respond to this post can have it.

renebreen@yahoo.com - flick me an email with your address.

Posting from NZ, will arrive in approx 2 weeks.
  • After listening to the The Name of the Wind bookclub episode, I think Scrym may appreciate the Malazan Book of the Fallen. A friend recently got me into the series, and (so far) I think it presents an interesting fantasy epic deliberately avoids a lot of the problems that were brought up about TNotW.