This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Augmented Reality

edited June 2011 in Science
Practical virtual reality might not come out in our life times but augmented reality might be.

1_u34kV9go0
wJItdmumxYY

Also, this AR iphone app might be coming soon.

Comments

• Wasn't there already a thread about this? And didn't Google already come with an AR app?
  • Wasn't there already a thread about this? And didn't Google already come with an AR app?
    Here's one.
  • edited June 2011
    Wasn't there already a thread about this? And didn't Google already come with an AR app?
    Here's one.
    Thats like the lowest hanging fruit possible for AR. Also, in states that texting while driving is illegal (like mine) it is still illegal and would make it more obvious.

I did a search but couldnt find any other thread about AR.
    Post edited by iruul on
    Here's one.
    Thats like the lowest hanging fruit possible for AR. Also, in states that texting while driving is illegal (like mine) it is still illegal and would make it more obvious.

I did a search but couldnt find any other thread about AR.
    Agreed that it's low-hanging fruit, and that texting while driving is bad.

But on campus I sure wish people would use that app when they're texting and walking.
  • But on campus I sure wish people would use that app when they're texting and walking.
    Sometimes, when someone is walking and texting, I stop in front of them and turn sideways as though I were unaware of them.

They walk right into me.
  • But on campus I sure wish people would use that app when they're texting and walking.
    Sometimes, when someone is walking and texting, I stop in front of them and turn sideways as though I were unaware of them.

They walk right into me.
    I do something similar where if someone walks by me outside while smoking I fake a loud obnoxious cough.
  • edited June 2011
    I do something similar where if someone walks by me outside while smoking I fake a loud obnoxious cough.
    Heh, and how when people do that to me, I always call back "Better do something about that cough, mate, I smoke, and I don't cough like that" just to embarrass them, and they always are, because if they had a pair, they would either man up and use their big boy words, or they'd keep their mouth shut if they didn't have anything to say.
    If they argue the toss, I'll gladly come over and discuss it with them, but I'm going to smoke the entire time, even if I have to chain-smoke the fuckers as a result. I will engulf them in a cloud that would make mount fucking Vesuvius shit its metaphorical pants.

Because the only thing more hilarious than watching some gutless, obnoxious passive aggressive cock cough their lungs and throat raw to try and make some point about your smoking ten feet away - which isn't their fucking business, especially if you try to be courteous about it like I generally do - is watching the horror on their face when their passive aggressive childishness backfires on them, and not only do they end up being confronted about being an obnoxious cunt, but it happens with someone who just won't stop doing that thing that really pisses them off.

Sure, it's just as bad as what they're doing, but hey, you gave up your wish for basic courtesy and to not be purely an object for my personal fucking amusement when you engaged me in a passive aggressive, obnoxious way.

Random story time - Once when I was working at a bar, just outside of the city center near the backpacker hostels, I was taking out a runoff bucket from the bar and having a smoke out the back at the same time, since the bar was well closed by then. So, I'm standing by the back door, having my first smoke of the evening after my shift - I don't smoke on breaks, nor an hour before work, it's unprofessional for hospitality staff - and this (clearly drunk) lass actually diverts from walking down the road to walk down our street, rummages in her purse, pulls out this little water pistol like you'd get from a dollar store, and squirts me in the face a few times, putting out my smoke, before giving me a brief lecture about smoking while I'm still spluttering from getting sprayed in the face, turns on her heel, and walks off.
    So, as you've been able to see coming from the start of this tale, I picked up the slops bucket - full of beer, spirits, water, fruit juices, soda, all the stuff that goes down the bar trays - took two steps, and threw it all over her, and simply said "And you shouldn't spray things in strangers faces, because they might retaliate." and walked back in the back door of the bar. Rudeness begets Rudeness, lass.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So, as you've been able to see coming from the start of this tale, I picked up the slops bucket - full of beer, spirits, water, fruit juices, soda, all the stuff that goes down the bar trays - took two steps, and threw it all over her, and simply said "And you shouldn't spray things in strangers faces, because they might retaliate." and walked back in the back door of the bar. Rudeness begets Rudeness, lass
    You are the motherfucking man.
  • So, as you've been able to see coming from the start of this tale, I picked up the slops bucket - full of beer, spirits, water, fruit juices, soda, all the stuff that goes down the bar trays - took two steps, and threw it all over her, and simply said "And you shouldn't spray things in strangers faces, because they might retaliate." and walked back in the back door of the bar. Rudeness begets Rudeness, lass.
    Thats a little harsh. She was rude but her intent was benevolent. Something should been done but not that extreme. O.O
  • She was rude
    She was a dumb fucking cunt that should've been sued for assault.
  • edited June 2011
    Thats a little harsh. She was rude but her intent was benevolent. Something should been done but not that extreme. O.O
    If it was a guy, rather than a drunk lass half my size at best, I'd have broken his fucking jaw. Coming off a back to back shift - in other words, 12 hours behind the bar with two hours off in the middle - with one smoke the whole time, on a busy night? I'm usually exhausted, and I don't have a lot of patience or temper for people randomly spraying shit in my fucking face.

She can take her benevolent intent, roll it in powdered glass, and shove it up her bloody urethra - She's going out of her way to spray a complete stranger minding their own business in the face with water, that's stupid at best, and criminal at worst. Coughing at someone is one thing - passive aggressive and obnoxious, sure - but spraying stuff in people's face for no reason is just not fucking well on.
    Plus, I don't know what she's spraying in my face - could be water, could be piss, could be rancid milk runoff, lighter fluid, anything you can put through a water pistol.

If she gets benevolent intent, then I would also argue so do I - Because if she behaves like that, then eventually she's going to come against someone who doesn't do something so tame as just throwing a bucket of nasty-smelling-but-perfectly-safe fluid over her while she's on her way home(I assume, considering she was drunk and it was right after closing time, and she was walking towards the nearby bus-stop), where she can shower and wash it off. Sure, she wouldn't know it was harmless, at least until she noticed she smelled somewhere between a brothel and a brewery, but I wouldn't have thrown it on her if it was anything harmful, because that would be genuinely too harsh. Getting a rude shock and going home stinking of "Eu De Bar" is only really a rude shock worse than I get just working in the damn bar, and hopefully she stopped doing these sorts of things before someone lays her out for it.

Not that I'll say I had benevolent intent, because that would be obviously lying. At the time, it was a case of that this cheeky drunk bint had just sprayed some shit in my face for no reason, and I was exhausted, right in the middle of unwinding from a long shift, and I wasn't going to just let it bloody well stand.

That aside, Benevolent intent means exactly fucking dick. Benevolent is no excuse for that kind of bullshit behavior. She can be benevolent as the good lord above, but the fact remains she still just walked up and sprayed god-knows-what in my bloody face. I don't care if it's a random joke, if it's about smoking, or if the gun is full of holy water and afterward she shouted "I claim you in the name of the Catholic church, be good and see you in heaven!" - it's still just not the done thing.

Guess What? I smoke, sure. That doesn't make me - or anyone else that smokes - subhuman, or someone you can do what you like to with no repercussions. You Don't like that I'm smoking somewhere near you? Then act like a adult human being and say something - Most people, if you ask politely, will probably agree to a reasonable suggestion such as "Hey, I know it's a bit of a bother, but could you smoke over downwind instead? It's really pretty unpleasant for me, and I'd really appreciate it if you did."
    If you cough obnoxiously and be passive aggressive, you can't be surprised if someone takes issue with you being obnoxious and passive aggressive. You know, like anyone who wasn't smoking would do.

And while I am normally a reasonably sedate person with my actual actions - I'll cross swords verbally, of course, that's a different kettle of cod - but if someone does something as goddamn stupid as spraying something in my face out of nowhere, or god forbid, laying their hands on me in an aggressive way, then so help me god I will break them in fucking half. I don't care how benevolent their motivations are, if you lay hands on me aggressively, I'm going to reply with frank and immediate violence. Getting physically aggressive means that there is no more room for negotiation or debate, it means that you've now invited me to hurt you till you stop trying to hit me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • anything you can put through a water pistol.
    Sulphuric acid, or in the case of SS13, Polytrinic acid. Because sulphuric acid doesn't burn off faces quickly enough.
  • anything you can put through a water pistol.
    Sulphuric acid, or in the case of SS13, Polytrinic acid. Because sulphuric acid doesn't burn off faces quickly enough.
    Wouldnt that burn through the water pistol too?
  • The water pistol is made of glass, clearly.
  • edited July 2011
    Wouldnt that burn through the water pistol too?
    If you're evil enough to fill a water pistol with sulphuric acid, you're smart enough to use a glass tank instead of all plastic. You then also have the option of breaking the tube on someone's face and THEN stab them with glass shards.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • So... Augmented Reality is pretty cool, huh guys?
  • Yup. Very cool. Sooo... anyone else twiddling their fingers?
  • edited July 2011
    The water pistol is made of glass, clearly.
    Why is glass immune to acid? Is there a chemical that can defeat glass?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The water pistol is made of glass, clearly.
    Why is glass immune to acid? Is there a chemical that can defeat glass?
    The short answer is because plastics are made out of organic polymers that are held together through weak chemical forces whereas glass is composed of pressed inorganic metal oxides that arent as reactive.

Layman: The bonds in glass structure are stong and only the strongest acids containg flourine can react with it.

So yeah, would anyone want to wear augemented reality glasses? They look dorky but if they could put the technology in contact lenses or even an eye implant I'd consider it.
  • So yeah, would anyone want to wear augemented reality glasses?
    I already wear prescription glasses so yeah. No problem with them adding a layer to the glasses + other miniature crap needed to get AR all day, erry day. As for contact lenses. They already can do that. Enjoy stabbing yourself in the eye every day to get your AR fix!
  • So yeah, would anyone want to wear augemented reality glasses? They look dorky but if they could put the technology in contact lenses or even an eye implant I'd consider it.
    Maybe. If I could integrate them with regular glasses, I'd certainly wear them. Contact lenses, I'd definitely have that.