This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110630 - Supermarkets

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the humble supermarket. There are sales everywhere (that matters) with both the Steam Summer Sale and Threadless, Amazon gives California the finger, and the "skills gap" is a serious problem.

Download MP3

Comments

• A new Geeknights on a worknight! Hooray!
  • A kind Farker summarized the most salient fucked-up points of interest in my TotD.

- woman drowns, none of the lifeguards notice
    - kid (says he) told lifeguard, lifeguard doesn't care
    - kid doesn't bother telling anyone else
    - no one asks why the kid went home by himself when the woman was supposed to be with him
    - hundreds of other swimmers Sun/Mon/Tues don't notice there's a dead body in the water
    - staff find her id etc. and realize there's a missing person but don't see her in the pool
    - cops show up about id and also don't see here in the pool
    - pool inspectors don't see her in the pool
    - pool cleaners don't see her in the pool
    - she's finally found by people who broke into pool area and weren't even supposed to be there
  • Let me guess. It happened in the United States.
  • edited June 2011
    Let me guess. It happened in the United States.
    Boston area, which means my first guess of it having a Florida tag was way off.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • *checks date on calendar*
    Nah. It's not August 30th 2011, yet.
  • edited July 2011
    Fuck you Jerry Brown. Fuck you.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • edited July 2011
    It's Thursday August 30th 2011
    WTF?!?!?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • It's Thursday August 30th 2011
    WTF?!?!?
    lol. I was in a huge hurry to get the episode out. ;^)
  • Hey so, I just listened to a podcast about supermarkets to get through my job stocking a supermarket.

Kind of surreal.
  • First of all, Fairway is a fantastic supermarket in this city. They have great bagels where there are so many seeds that you can barely see the crust. They also a fantastic nuts and dried fruit section. Trader Joe's is a pretty awesome supermarket, but don't bank on finding something specific there. If you find yourself in one, for the love of god go for the mini-peanut butter cups. Those things are magical.

Second of all, speaking of egg dishes, I made some of this for myself recently and it was fantastic.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey so, I just listened to a podcast about supermarkets to get through my job stocking a supermarket.

Kind of surreal.
    Yo dawg...
    A kind Farker summarized the most salient fucked-up points of interest in my TotD.

- woman drowns, none of the lifeguards notice
    - kid (says he) told lifeguard, lifeguard doesn't care
    - kid doesn't bother telling anyone else
    - no one asks why the kid went home by himself when the woman was supposed to be with him
    - hundreds of other swimmers Sun/Mon/Tues don't notice there's a dead body in the water
    - staff find her id etc. and realize there's a missing person but don't see her in the pool
    - cops show up about id and also don't see here in the pool
    - pool inspectors don't see her in the pool
    - pool cleaners don't see her in the pool
    - she's finally found by people who broke into pool area and weren't even supposed to be there
    I bet everyone just hated the woman.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ah Wegman's it's like Rochester followed me home to PA and gave me an awesome supermarket.
  • I bet everyone just hated the woman.
    I almost made a joke on the show about Murder on the Orient Express. But that could I suppose be construed as a spoiler.
    I almost made a joke on the show about Murder on the Orient Express. But that could I suppose be construed as a spoiler.
    I think you're safely past the statute of limitations for THAT spoiler.
    What are you going to worry about spoiling next, The Odyssey?
  • No Trader Joe's, no <3 from me.
  • No Trader Joe's, no <3 from me.</p>
    Never actually lived near one or been to any often enough. There's one in the city somewhere, but it's incredibly inconvenient.
  • No Trader Joe's, no <3 from me.</p>
    Never actually lived near one or been to any often enough. There's one in the city somewhere, but it's incredibly inconvenient.
    Every time Jeremy and I go there, we try their samples and always end up buying it. I really love their frozen prepared foods, especially the grilled eggplant and zuchini melange. I could eat that everyday.
    Not quite the Boston area. It's about an hour south of Boston, right on the Rhode Island border in basically the next town over from where I grew up...
  • I wish Wegman's would come to Ohio. My wife doesn't believe me about its awesome superiority.
  • I wish Wegman's would come to Ohio. My wife doesn't believe me about its awesome superiority.
    I don't understand why people so easily believe things like magnets will cure cancer, but won't believe in a superior grocery store.
    Not quite the Boston area. It's about an hour south of Boston, right on the Rhode Island border in basically the next town over from where I grew up...
    Yeah. Fall River's kinda a messed-up area. It's kinda MA's Florida. It's juuuuust big enough to have all the bad weird shit of a city without being big enough to have all the awesome weird shit of a city.

For those not versed in Massachusetts' geography, describing Fall River as "Boston Area" is inaccurate enough that most Massholes will look at you askew for saying they're close. It's more precise to call it Providence (R.I.), or even Cape Cod, area. Flooring it from Boston, taking all major highways, you'd be, as Lou said, almost an hour to Fall River.
  • Yeah. Fall River's kinda a messed-up area. It's kinda MA's Florida. It's juuuuust big enough to have all the bad weird shit of a city without being big enough to have all the awesome weird shit of a city.
    Yeah, I'm not sure which is worse, Fall River or New Bedford, though I think New Bedford is probably a little bit worse off. Still, I can see valid arguments in either direction. Both cities are old textile mill towns that have pretty much been on hard times since the textile industry left the area, although New Bedford is also a major fishing port, so that does help alleviate things somewhat. Fall River really doesn't have much else going for it, although it looks "cleaner" than New Bedford, at least to my eyes.
    For those not versed in Massachusetts' geography, describing Fall River as "Boston Area" is inaccurate enough that most Massholes will look at you askew for saying they're close. It's more precise to call it Providence (R.I.), or even Cape Cod, area. Flooring it from Boston, taking all major highways, you'd be, as Lou said, almost an hour to Fall River.
    Yeah, Fall River is actually technically considered part of the Providence, RI market by most advertising firms, the TV industry, etc. It's a lot closer to Providence (maybe about 15-20 minutes away) than Cape Cod (about 30-45 minutes to just get to the beginning of the Cape, let alone the part that most people think of when they think of "the Cape"). The "official" name for the area is the "South Coast" (or "SouthCoast"), but I've referred to it as the "armpit of Massachusetts" based on Cape Cod looking a little bit like an arm (and yes, this despite basically growing up there).
  • Did anyone count how many times Rym said "simultaneously" in the lead-in spiel? I'm at 5 or 6.
  • Did anyone count how many times Rym said "simultaneously" in the lead-in spiel? I'm at 5 or 6.
    That word is a sort of inside joke trigger.
  • I don't think the following was ever mentioned, but I figure it's worth a shot. Wegmans also has a sub shop, which is effectively a DiBella's-lite.
    I've had it a few times (mostly in locales where there are no DiBella's to be found) and have been very satisfied. Has anyone else tried it?
  • Hey so, I just listened to a podcast about supermarkets to get through my job stocking a supermarket.

Kind of surreal.
    Also I work in a pretty sweet supermarket. Well, I wouldn't call it super it is very tiny. I am the night manager of the deli(I am the only one in the deli at night but still). It is a mom and pop organic food store and we have some pretty amazing food.
  • Ring Of Honor, when they've bothered to run Massachusetts at all, has been coming to Plymouth, which is not quite as far away as Fall River, but it's still quite far away. Here's a Google map to get the idea
  • After listening to the lead-in spiel, I have to say this:

I've been applying to low-skilled jobs where there's a reasonable amount of payment. I've applied several times to be a cleaner in a hospital and a warehouse, predominantly low-skilled jobs. I've applied to Burger King, and Subway. I've applied to be a door to door salesman.

All of them never called me back, or invited me to an interview and then didn't call me back. The most I have ever gotten in the employment game is being invited to a second interview which involved a lot of walking about, where I feared I nearly would have collapsed following my interviewer, who was walking so fast I have to run to catch up. And I have a degree, so I currently am reasonably skilled in reading, writing, and have an adequate level of intelligence for these jobs that I am applying for.

So when I hear about how easy it is to find a certain low-skill job in a field that most people don't apply for, I think back to all those hours of waiting for phone calls that never come, and being snubbed by fast food outlets, and I just get filled with anguish.

Right now I'm looking into volunteering, and applying for the JET programme, if not some kind of company for English teachers in Japan. Considering my job outlook right now, it's worth a shot...
  • It does depend heavily on where you are, too. Being willing and able to relocate matters more than almost anything if you want a job in a particular field.