This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Card/board games become video games: Abomination or Acceptable

edited July 2011 in Video Games
I don't play board or card games. Brain. Hurt. Math. No!! The closest I ever got was watching Yugioh. So I saw a demo for Magic The Gathering and I played the whole thing.

I was quite hooked (because all I had to do was press buttons), but I wonder if people who DO play these games in 3D see these games as lesser or pale imitations of the real life experience.

Comments

• I don't play board or card games. Brain. Hurt. Math. No!!
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious you don't play board games. There's approximately 0% math in your average game of Carcassonne.
  • I used to play a ton of Magic back in the day. I still play the game, but don't spend any money more on it since I play it only over a program called Magic Workstation anymore. Wizards of the Coast also has an official product called Magic Online, though usage of it is based on a virtual economy similar to the one of real magic cards, randomized product and so on. Hence I have never used it.

However, I have played the first "Duels of the Planeswalkers" game for XBox Live Arcade. I'm assuming that is the game you are referring to. While it is a decent game, it is severely flawed due to the fact that you only have preconstructed decks for which you can get additional cards, but you can't gain more cards and build your own decks by combining cards from different decks. I also have found that the auto-tapping of lands can also be rather flawed, as it occasionally taps down lands for cards you still wanted to play later, e.g. me holding Lightning Bolt with three lands and playing a Grizzly Runeclaw Bear and the program taps my only mountain.
  • I'm not sure why an accurate and non-shittily-done transition of a board or card game to a virtual space would be a bad thing. If it's the same game, just minus the tedious shuffling/setting up/manually moving pieces, then that's only an improvement.
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious you don't play board games. There's approximately 0% math in your average game of Carcassonne.
    It's 100% math, you just might not recognise it as such.
    That's true, but there's no math that has to be done on paper or with a calculator. Every game is 100% math.
  • When I say math, I'm talking more about card games.

Yes, this is the 2012 edition of Duels of the Planeswalkers. It's cheap, so I'd probably buy it. There is some deck management in this version.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't play board or card games. Brain. Hurt. Math. No!!
    That's true, but there's no math that has to be done on paper or with a calculator. Every game is 100% math.
    Clicking on heads isn't math, except in the sense that biology is physics is math, but I think we can set that aside here.

You have to count points in your head in Carcassonne, which is most definitely math even by the most arbitrarily limited definition (e.g. arithmetic alone).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Clicking on heads isn't math, except in the sense that biology is physics is math, but I think we can set that aside here.

You have to count points in your head in Carcassonne, which is most definitely math even by the most arbitrarily limited definition (e.g. arithmetic alone).
    Game theory is a branch of mathematics, and programming is applied mathematics. All games are mathematics. That's what I was trying to say. I suppose the mental math component does count as "hard" (visible) math in a game, but if adding points hurts your brain, you shouldn't be playing Carcassonne, or most other games, for that matter.
  • edited July 2011
    All games are mathematics.
    Yes, but the relevant factor is how the game is played, hence clicking on heads is not primarily math.
    You could say you're distinguishing between "implicit" and "explicit" math, and claiming there is little "explicit" math, but then you're not going to be any good at any game without diving into the "implicit" math as well, albeit at a high level of abstraction.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on