This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Digital Camera Reccomendation

edited July 2011 in Technology
I'm looking for a point and shoot digital camera, not a DSLR, up to $250. Here are some rough specs I'm looking for:
  • 10MP+
  • Able to shoot 1080p video
  • Uses SD Cards
  • Charges via USB
Anything else is extra.

I'm looking at my mom's current camera as an option. It's a Fujifilm Finepix JX310 and it costs about $100 at Best Buy. I have two issues with this camera. First of all, the barreling is very noticeable. I'd like a camera that doesn't require me to do post-processing just to use an otherwise good photo. Secondly, While it does record in 1080p, the next lowest resolution is 640x480. Why no 720p? It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a little ehh....

Anyway, suggestions?

Comments

• Canon's PowerShot series dominates the point and shoot market. They have models at every price point and you will very likely not find a better (measured by how well it takes pictures) camera for the same price. I don't think any of their models charge via USB, but assuming that requirement is due to extended periods away from an outlet, I suggest just getting an additional battery or two.
  • The USB charging is really just because I am pretty much always within 10 feet of a USB port, even in the car. There are outlets near me too, It's just USB is more convenient.
  • DO NOT buy a sony. Proprietary battery, memory stick instead of SD card, even a proprietary shape USB cable! Hope you don't lose your cable b/c you won't be finding that thing in Monoprice.

Go to a store and test them out. Your #1 criteria is how quickly a picture takes after you hit the button. Shutter lag is insufferable.
  • I am by no means an expert on cameras but I have listened to someone who absolutely is at my store. Here are a few things to know, along with a suggestion.
    1. Everyone uses SD now except for Samsung, who use Micro SD. Sony even uses SD, but their slot is built to accept a Memory Stick Pro Duo as well.
    2 . Almost everyone has a proprietary battery, and every one that is rechargeable uses a proprietary battery. You will be able to find generic versions though.
    3. Almost everyone has a proprietary USB port on the camera.
    4. Most charge via USB but Sony and I think Nikon both like their separate charger for the battery

With that, I agree with Timo's suggestion, go for a Canon. The Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS is a favorite of the hardcore camera guy at my store.
  • edited July 2011
    Hm wow. Guess I haven't had to buy a point-and-shoot in about 6 years. I had a Canon Powershot S2IS that I love back then. It had a standard USB mini jack, and used rechargeable AAs which I already owned an army of. Guess things were bound to change. Too much $ to be gained by locking you ito the brand.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited July 2011
    I think they just make better high capacity rechargeable batteries now.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Canon Powershit S2IS
    If you put your dick on your keyboard it goes from 'a' to 'z', eh?
  • Canon Powershit S2IS
    If you put your dick on your keyboard it goes from 'a' to 'z', eh?
    Awesome typo
  • I thought it was intentional, but couldn't work out why he thought it was shit.
  • Awesome typo
    It is. I love it. And this opportunity just had to be taken whether the 'i' was intended or not.
  • I like the Panasonic Lumix cameras. I have the old TZ1, but it only does 720P. The Panasonic cameras are great with the Leica lenses and the 10X optical zoom. The pictures are awesome for a point and click in sunlight. They struggle indoors or low light like every point and click camera.

I just ordered a canon t2i (DSLR) camera. I've had a point and click for so long, I was feeling the limitations of them. I'm ready for a big honkin' camera to up the game for me!