This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Visting NYC... Where to Park for the Day?

edited July 2011 in Everything Else
In a couple of weeks I'll be going to NYC for training. My wife and I would like to see several tourist attractions in Manhattan and Brooklyn. We're coming into JFK on a Tuesday and that day would be our main day to do some exploring. Where would be the best place to park cheaply and safely and pick up some public transportation into the city?

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 2011
    On the left side of a non one way street.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • In a couple of weeks I'll be going to NYC for training. My wife and I would like to see several tourist attractions in Manhattan and Brooklyn. We're coming into JFK on a Tuesday and that day would be our main day to do some exploring. Where would be the best place to park cheaply and safely and pick up some public transportation into the city?

Thanks
    Don't. Just use public transportation. Especially if you're flying in, renting a car is entirely not worth it just because of parking costs. Where are you staying?
  • Take the following bus to grand central

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

You don't need to make a reservation just walk up to the bus stand an pay.
  • My training is in Garden City on Long Island. My work is paying for the rental. What is the parking like around ferry ports? Or am I better off keeping the car at the airport parking lot for the day and taking public transportation in from there?
  • If you are based in Garden City then taking the LIRR into Penn Station is probably the best.
    Or as you say you could leave the car at the airport for the day.
    Parking sucks everywhere in Manhattan and Brooklyn compared to everywhere else I've been in the US. This is compensated for by having the best public transport I've seen in the US.
    Regarding public transport,
    - don't be afraid to walk
    - favour the subway over the bus
    - a day pass may be your best option. Good for the subway and the bus
    - uptown is north!
  • My training is in Garden City on Long Island. My work is paying for the rental. What is the parking like around ferry ports? Or am I better off keeping the car at the airport parking lot for the day and taking public transportation in from there?
    That's your best option. Take the aforementioned bus, a taxi, or the LIRR into Manhattan because the subway will probably take about an hour to get to the island, and take the subway from there. At the end of the day, take a taxi back to JFK and pick up your car.

This will still be cheaper than driving, because the only places you can reliably park are garages that charge around $30 a day.