This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGfest X

Comments

• It was replaced on the other days by a scrolling shooter. I'm certainly underselling it a bit, but having played a lot of bullet-hell style games, it felt way too easy. I don't even remember the name of it.
    I really liked the one they had where there were two attack buttons. One of them made you movee slowly, so you could dodge bullet hell more easily, but it only shot straight ahead. The other one shot in a wide spread pattern, but you moved very quickly. That is good for getting out of the way of a directed attack, but killed you if you pressed it while there was a rain of bullets. I was able to beat it only dying once or twice per level.
    Touhou has a similar mechanic. Holding shift makes you move slower and concentrates your fire to be more damaging.
    Scott making out with a furry?
    Pretty sure that's Chase. And yes.

• I'm so glad to be not drinking. :P
  • It was replaced on the other days by a scrolling shooter. I'm certainly underselling it a bit, but having played a lot of bullet-hell style games, it felt way too easy. I don't even remember the name of it.
    I really liked the one they had where there were two attack buttons. One of them made you movee slowly, so you could dodge bullet hell more easily, but it only shot straight ahead. The other one shot in a wide spread pattern, but you moved very quickly. That is good for getting out of the way of a directed attack, but killed you if you pressed it while there was a rain of bullets. I was able to beat it only dying once or twice per level.
    Touhou has a similar mechanic. Holding shift makes you move slower and concentrates your fire to be more damaging.
    MOST shmups have that mechanic, except that speed/spreadshot is done by rapidly tapping the fire button and slow/focus fire is done by holding it.
    MOST shmups have that mechanic, except that speed/spreadshot is done by rapidly tapping the fire button and slow/focus fire is done by holding it.
    I hate any shmup that requires any Nintendo fingering, since you'll end up doing it the whole game. It's best when you can hold a button and concentrate on the stick.

If I made a shmup, firing would be automatic. It would be stick only. You would only press buttons for things like changing weapons or using one-time weapons like bombs. Or maybe changing a mode, if it was one with a gimmick like Ikaruga.
  • The iPad Cave bullet hell ports all have automatic firing, actually, which makes a ton of sense given the control limitations. Actually, you can opt to have it automatic all sorts of crap, like special attack usage and whatnot, so you can focus on movement.
  • If I made a shmup, firing would be automatic. It would be stick only. You would only press buttons for things like changing weapons or using one-time weapons like bombs.
    Beat Hazard with an Xbox 360 controller is exactly this. If you're pointing the right stick in a direction, you're shooting in that direction.
  • Someday...someday I will pay a visit to MAGfest. The only thing holding me back is the familiar affliction that many college kids suffer from: lack of disposable cash.
  • edited January 2012
    Someday...someday I will pay a visit to MAGfest. The only thing holding me back is the familiar affliction that many college kids suffer from: lack of disposable cash.
    This is why you play the game, get in under a group rate ($30 instead of $40) only eat food from the grocery store ($30 for 5 days) and share a room with people ($160 including tax), the rest of my funds went to music and DVDs ($150). If you are clever enough you can even shave more off of that.

Edit: Let the vlog coverage begin...

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • This is mainly for Scott, its a live playing of Mega Man 2, completed in under 45 minutes with Bit Brigade playing at the same time.

• I'm doing a bunch of Magfest comics. (Which was one big one, but it didn't work out well so I split it up. )
  • Broke and in college is the best time to go to a con!
  • The warm up bands were also pretty awesomely epic!
  • Barely saw you around the con, Erwin! 'Cept at the concert of course.
  • Barely saw you around the con, Erwin! 'Cept at the concert of course.
    It was pretty awesome to meet you Viga. I do not even know how next year will top this one :D
  • Well, the good news is that a buddy of mine recorded ALL the concerts and is slowly placing them online for people to view. I am just going to leave this here for your eyes and ears.
  • Oh nice, I did some line games with action castle for the TGWTG panel, someone was smart enough to Note to self: get either a microphone next time or many bottles of water.
  • Yeah, I was wondering how long you could keep it up. It was awesome though! I love ACTION CASTLE!!!!
  • How did you memorize the whole of action castle?
    I have it memorized. It's very small. Buy a copy and see for yourself.
    It is one of those games that once you run it a few times it is simple to remember, the hardest part (for me) is to keep track of where the player is on the map since they often walk in circles.
  • My friend does a webcomic about conventions called Conventional Wisdom, where he makes comic about the con itself. Well, the MAGfest comics are up! I'm actually in a couple too!
  • Bidoof! Y U SO ANGRY?
  • http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20120112/magfest-x/
    This was a good episode I am in the process of writing a LONG suggestion letter to MAG about ideas for future shows and the waiver BS is on the top as well as badge mailing.
  • Beyond Dungeons & Dragons:

• Do you guys remember the name of the artist who you had mentioned in the show? I was trying to see if I could find him on the MAG Fest website but alas I could not.
  • Do you guys remember the name of the artist who you had mentioned in the show? I was trying to see if I could find him on the MAG Fest website but alas I could not.
    http://squarepainter.deviantart.com/
    http://squarepainter.deviantart.com/
    Buy his stuff it is awesome.

Also Nerf War of MAGfest X