This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110714 - Nothing

edited July 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, it's a show about nothing. We also consider the wider copyright implications of accidental art and monkeys with cameras, nevermind the Internet RAGE about Netflix's minimal price increase. GeekNights will resume its regular schedule next week, the book club will now be its own show, and we will definitely be at MAGFest.

Download MP3

Comments

• Scott's Thing - Jacksnyan 5
    Woohoo!
  • Scott's Thing - Jacksnyan 5
    Woohoo!
  • GeekNights will resume its regular schedule next week
    Woohoo!
  • Glad you guys like the CD, did I mention that I mix a different CD each time I run the panel ;)

Also glad you two like Goldfish, I find many good treats from my crew over at Radio Dead Air. They provide me with other awesome Internet things to share....like this.

• I really enjoyed this episode! I liked that by the end you were having a competition at who could be the least interested in the other's topic.
  • I have an idea for Thursday shows. You could try having it as a community show. Either to show off and discuss community created content (videos, art, etc.) or have the community involved in the discussion. Just a thought I had.
  • edited July 2011
    I have an idea for Thursday shows. You could try having it as a community show. Either to show off and discuss community created content (videos, art, etc.) or have the community involved in the discussion. Just a thought I had.
    I specifically want to avoid this. How would you feel if you listened to a brand new podcast and the entire episode was all about the community that you were not a member of? That's exactly the thing we always complain about anime and superhero comics producers doing. They make art that is targeted at a small internal and existing audience. We try to make GeekNights appeal to the biggest audience. I want to talk to the person who has never listened before, not the person that is already listening.

You are in the community and you obviously just want a community show so you can take part in it. Guess what, your wish is granted! Go forth and make the show yourself.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I specifically want to avoid this. How would you feel if you listened to a brand new podcast and the entire episode was all about the community that you were not a member of?
    I did not that about it like that. I agree, that would be a put off if I did run into that. Well there goes my idea for a Thursday show.

Also, I would prefer not to take part in a community show, I was just thinking it could be a fun idea.
  • Some Thursday shows could deal with areas outside your usual brands of geekery.
  • I'm disappointed in you, Scrym. You backed down from the challenge of doing a show about nothing, and instead did a show about a bunch of things. A show about nothing would be a zen discussion of what true nothingness is.

As for Thursday show ideas, there's How Not To Suck At Traveling. I realize when we discussed this at AB, Scott seemed rather Scott about it, but there's plenty to say about the topic.
  • Saw the title and thought it was a show about Seinfeld.
  • Saw the title and thought it was a show about Seinfeld.
  • Episode felt like hour long opening bit. Not in a bad way, but it could give a wrong kind of impression of what the show is normally like to any possible first time listeners.
  • It has being a long time since I rented a movie from Netflix. I mean the streaming catalog is so big right now that I really don't care much for DVDs or Blu rays. I have decided to drop the dvd/blu ray and just keep streaming. Also, most of the movies/ animes that I really like I buy them. Most dvds are pretty cheap, I mean I got the first two sets of FOTNS for less than 30 bucks.
  • Coldguy showed me the Goldfish video at Connecticon, and barely even being able to hear it I knew it was an awesome song. The video just makes it, though.