This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying a TV looking for some advice/opinions

edited July 2011 in Everything Else
I have a bit of extra cash at the moment so I want to scratch off the top of "Things I really, really want but don't really need" list. Which is a flat screen TV. I've gone to Best Buy to look at them, and read reviews at Newegg and Amazon. I have some idea of what I want: 1080p, around 30-40 inches in size, high contrast, a fair amount of inputs, and oblivious a really nice clean picture. I also prefer the LCD LED TVs over the plasmas, I think the picture looks better to me. My prince range is $400 to $600 (I can go over $600 but it is pushing my budget) Now, here come my questions.

Is it worth getting an internet ready TV? I have an Xbox 360 and do use that to stream Netflix quite a bit. Are there advantages to an internet ready TV over just using my Xbox?

A video I watch suggested that a TV that was over 60hz (like 120hz+) makes a difference when watching movies/shows with a lot of action. That ideally, the image will be a lot sharper. Does it really make that big of a difference?

Any suggested brands/models?

This is a pretty big investment for me, so I want to make sure I get want I want, and get the most out of my money.

Comments

• I also prefer the LCD LED TVs over the plasmas, I think the picture looks better to me. My prince range is $400 to $600 (I can go over $600 but it is pushing my budget)
    You won't get something that has LED backlights for $400 to $600. You'll be getting regular old fluorescent back-lighting for that money.
    Is it worth getting an internet ready TV? I have an Xbox 360 and do use that to stream Netflix quite a bit. Are there advantages to an internet ready TV over just using my Xbox?
    No, just get a real computer and connect it to your television. I keep telling people to do this, but they don't seem to listen. Every television should have a full PC, or Mac mini if you don't play games, connected to it.
    A video I watch suggested that a TV that was over 60hz (like 120hz+) makes a difference when watching movies/shows with a lot of action. That ideally, the image will be a lot sharper. Does it really make that big of a difference?
    No. That's bullshit. Hollywood movies are 24fps. Television is 30fps. Your game consoles are all going to do 60 at most. A TV with a vertical sync of 120Hz won't make a shit of difference unless you want to watch a 3D blu-ray that is 60fps or play a game on your HTPC and your computer can render 120fps.

This TV is very highly rated on Amazon, and is on sale for $600. It's pretty much the best you are going to get for that moneys. It has HDMI inputs and does 1080p. Happens to also be 120Hz, despite me just saying that doesn't really matter.

Samsung LN40D630 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (Black)

What's most important is that you properly calibrate the TV after you get it. Don't leave the default settings or the colors will be all wrong.
  • No, just get a real computer and connect it to your television. I keep telling people to do this, but they don't seem to listen. Every television should have a full PC, or Mac mini if you don't play games, connected to it.
    I suggest this all the freaking time and people continue to look at me like I'm a gnome from the 23rd century. It's really weird.
  • edited July 2011
    Media streamers like the WDHDTV Live are an option if you don't need a full PC. I have the old, non networked version and it plays all the files, all of them, even some of the really dodgy ones I keep around especially for testing. They have no moving parts and you can plug drives in via USB if you want to watch stuff while your computer's turned off.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What's most important is that you properly calibrate the TV after you get it. Don't leave the default settings or the colors will be all wrong.
    I'll echo this, Too many times i'll go over to a friends house and their TV's will have really really off color, or the aspect ratio will be wrong, regardless, I never understood why people can let their TVs stay that way. When the people on TV look bluish I think there is something wrong! Fix it! It's not that hard!

I personally prefer plasma's myself, but I also like blackberries so take that for what you will.
  • I suggest this all the freaking time and people continue to look at me like I'm a gnome from the 23rd century. It's really weird.
    Sooooo you aren't from the 23rd century?
  • Media streamers like the WDHDTV Live are an option if you don't need a full PC. I have the old, non networked version and it plays all the files, all of them, even some of the really dodgy ones I keep around especially for testing. They have no moving parts and you can plug drives in via USB if you want to watch stuff while your computer's turned off.
    A WDHDTV Live is useless if you have an XBox since it has Windows Media Center. Apple TV sucks also. The way I see it, either get a real computer or nothing. An actual computer can do everything a computer can do. Play every PC game ever, or any game you can get to work on a PC (emulators people!). Use wireless XBox 360 controllers and USB joysticks for full effect. Watch any video format known to man. Watch video from any web site that has video. Listen to any audio from anywhere.

Every other possible set-top box besides an actual computer has some sort of limitation. A Roku only plays video form certain services. An XBox is limited to certain codecs and can only play XBox games. Some boxes can only do YouTube, but not Vimeo, Collegehumor, or other sites. A Boxee Box can only do video and audio, no gaming.

If you still pay for cable or sattelite, the computer can also be a DVR!

Real computer connected to the TV is a must for everypony.
  • edited July 2011
    PC games, play them at your desk. Emulators, play them on a handheld (The PSP is bitching at this.). The WDHDTV is to cover codecs if you just want to watch something quickly without having to have your computer running the converter and Xbox is covering your console gaming.

That is more than enough forms of entertainment at your fingertips.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2011
    I'm all for the pc hooked up to the TV, especially since there are so many desktop apps and things like that, that the interface can be nearly the same as a set-top box. I wouldn't worry at all about the TV being internet ready. Your Xbox does almost all of that anyway. And hell, even if you can't afford a fancy HTPC, I bet you could buy a cheap net-top or bare-bones desktop-only at like Walmart that would be a hell of a lot better than a lot of high-end set-top boxes.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • You won't get something that has LED backlights for $400 to $600. You'll be getting regular old fluorescent back-lighting for that money.
    Actually, looking on Amazon and there are several in my prince range listed currently. So, it's not impossible, it's mostly off brand though.

Most likely, I'll use the Xbox for Netflix and such. I have a Netbook that I have hooked up to my friend's TVs to watch downloaded videos, so I can always us that if the Xbox doesn't work. Thinking about it though, if I just have a long enough cord I could hook it up to my desktop, it's going to be the same room.

I also agree the Apple TV sucks, my ex bought one when they first came out and I thought it pretty much a waste, it was pretty limited to what you could do with it.
  • PC games, play them at your desk.
    There are some games on PC that aren't really PC games. Clearly if it's an FPS play it at the desk. But what about a game like Jamestown? Much better with XBox controller on the TV. Also even when a game is released on console and PC and is nearly identical the PC version is superior because PCs are forever. I have Super Meat Boy, but I played it on PC on TV with XBox controller.
    Emulators, play them on a handheld (The PSP is bitching at this.).
    PSP is good at that, but DS isn't so much. It doesn't have the resolution necessary for SNES games. Also, some emulated games are just better on TV. I'd rather not play Metal Marines on a handheld, even a PSP.