This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii preorders

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Video Games
The Wii pre-orders sold out faster than even Nintendo anticipated. Since we couldn't speak deeply on news due to pirate-related limitations, I figure we should discuss it here.

More and more, the evidence is pointing toward the Wii being a smashing success. There's even the small possibility that Nintendo will regain the number one spot in the console gaming world. (Note that they've been number one in the portable gaming world for as long as the portable gaming market has existed).

Comments

• I think the main question comes down to "what do you want to play?" At launch would you rather play Zelda, Excite Truck and Trauma Center or would you rather play...um....wait. We have no idea what the PS3 launch titles will be. Hm...well, I guess the only thing I have to go on it price/hardware. Wii all the way.

Note: Sarcasm aside, PS3 launch titles will most likely be announced this weekend at TGS.
  • I just preordered Zelda for Wii today, but now I have to wait for EB to finally announce when they are going to let people preorder the system. This whole delay in letting me preorder the console is annoying. I miss the good old days like when I preordered my Dreamcast.
  • I haven't preordered any games for it yet, but the staff at my local EB should be getting pretty sick of my daily calls by now. I would be getting more annoyed by waiting but I've just managed to pick up a copy of Phoenix Wright and have been a little distracted.
  • From what I've heard the GameStop/EB managers have a meeting this weekend, so it's likely it could be about PS3 and Wii preorders.
  • You know...this season is going to kill my bank account. Between the Wii, two 360 games and some ps2/ds games, god damn.
  • You know...this season is going to kill my bank account. Between the Wii, two 360 games and some ps2/ds games, got damn.
  • I caved and pre-ordered, I still don't know if I'll end up buying it right away but at least I am assured a console.
  • I wonder if they will pull some of the same dirty tricks as they did with X-Box 360...

1) Take in preorders
    2) Sell preorder systems to non-preorder customers
    3) Tell preorder customers the systems did not come in in a large enough quantity to satisfy all preorders.

Rinse and repeat.

So, any bets on how many Wii's will show up on Ebay after the launch? Any bets on highest price?
  • I just hope someone sells an empty box like they did with the 360.
  • I think the main question comes down to "what do you want to play?" At launch would you rather play Zelda, Excite Truck and Trauma Center or would you rather play...um....wait. We have no idea what the PS3 launch titles will be. Hm...well, I guess the only thing I have to go on it price/hardware. Wii all the way.

Note: Sarcasm aside, PS3 launch titles will most likely be announced this weekend at TGS.
    From all of the podcasts I've listened to and the websites I've visited we still don't know what the launch of the PS3 will be like - or maybe it's because the price is so high that only the early adopters will care. Oh well...
  • Gamestop and EB Games are taking pre-orders on Friday. Too bad the nearest one is 1.5 hours from me!
  • Wow... I'd probably die. Now, grocery stores or hospitals being that far away, I can understand, but your game shops?
  • It's actually closer to two hours, but I didn't want to get depressed.
  • Gees where are you from North Dakota?
  • He can't be from North Dakota, North Dakota doesn't actually exist.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, I mentioned it because since it's a mythicial place it probably wouldn't have a gamestop...

/someone stole my running joke. ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited October 2006
    I got an email a little while ago confirming that Gamestop and EBgames are openning preorders tomorrow. Seems you need only $50 to preorder a Wii. The email also came with some coupons for trading in things and getting more money for them that would go towards a Wii pre-order or pre-ordering Zelda TwiP.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • edited October 2006
    I got the same e-mail.

Addition: I JUST got a call from my EB. They are calling all those with Wii game preorders to tell them that the Wii goes on preorder tomorrow. Thankfully I have my Amazon.com preorder. :)
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • edited October 2006
    Yeah, I just called EB and they confirmed they are taking pre-orders tomorrow. Sadly though, my local EB is only taking *twelve!* So I'm going to have to get up early to be there when it opens at 10 to get my name on the list.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited October 2006
    Yea, I got the same response.. They called me today to tell me about the pre-order.. Guess I'm getting up at 5 am tomorrow and camping out!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I got my preorder this morning. I was 26th in line, they have 30 coming to the store.
  • 30!!! Damn.