This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110718 - Face Recognition and Federated Clouds

edited July 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we begin a discussion on the ramifications of face recognition technology as manifest in its coming ubiquity (and hamfisted attempts at usefulness), then slide into some talk of why the federated cloud is (or at least should be) the real future of computing. We also discuss the "cartels" that can arise when the navigation of bureaucracy becomes more important than the services being rendered, and Google is trying to encourage bad behavior for its own benefit with Google News Badges.

Download MP3

Comments

• I am so glad you posted Steam Mover, it's something I've needed for while.
  • For your information, Rym, it IS called the DMV here in Mahsahoosetts. Also, that is the first I've heard that story about the revoked license and I, regardless, wouldn't put it past the Mass DMV.
  • Actually, it's called the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Google will even auto-correct you with a "did you mean..." if you search for "massachusetts dmv".
  • Actually, it's called the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Google will even auto-correct you with a "did you mean..." if you search for "massachusetts dmv".
    Indeed. When I moved to rhode island, I couldn't find the DMV because I was looking for the RMV.
  • rhode island
    Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to that damn exit 22 A B C setup on 95!

*shudders and cries*
  • edited July 2011
    rhode island
    Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to that damn exit 22 A B C setup on 95!

*shudders and cries*
    GAh! *fetal position* I should have gotten hazard pay for commuting to providence five days a week.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Facebook already does email. Obviously they haven't done a good job letting people know about it.
  • Indeed. When I moved to rhode island, I couldn't find the DMV because I was looking for the RMV.
    Actually, it's quite interesting - People call it the DMV all over the US, even though relatively few states call it that. But guess which two states do? New York, and California, the former being one of the most popular places to set a TV show, and the latter being where most TV shows are written, along with being a popular setting itself.
  • edited July 2011
    The camera recognition at the front door reminds me of a guy who set up a camera on the cat flap to stop the cat bringing dead birds into the house. First attempts at googling don't find it though.

EDIT: here.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • So Google is giving achievements for reading news articles? Are they serious? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
  • I went to camp on the campus of Franklin and Marshall for a few summers and they had a key system quite a bit like what you mentioned tirades the end of the episode. Everyone was issued a little bit of plastic that they would wave in front of dorm doors to get in. Each one had specific privileges. Students could only get into their dorms and their classrooms at certain hours but staff could get in anywhere at any time.
  • edited July 2011
    cree.py is the geolocation version of the face recognition spy app.
    I got the impression that Anon+ plan to use some kind of federated/P2P to do the social networking, like that awesome new P2P chat with no central server...
    P2P (File Exchange, Money, Chat, Social networking...) looks like the rising new Google (Search, e-mail, maps...). Maybe Google will be the king of 2.0 and P2P will be the 3.0 king...
    Post edited by tiago.bonetti on
  • On the subject of what government knows and what the public knows, etc, here's an interesting take-away from my previous job.

The Department of Homeland Security largely works to provide security to municipalities. For example, perhaps some big city like New York City is looking to protect itself from some specific kind of attack. The police force, the government employees of New York state, the government employees of New York city all then need to know the information regarding this protection. However, these are citizens without any kind of DoD or DoE clearances. If DHS classifies any of their studies or findings, then the municipalities that are affected by such findings cannot learn about it or utilize it.

So we basically end up having a "classification" called "For Official Use Only." Such clearance is pretty much on the honor system. I won't tell you what I know, because I believe it is in the interest of national security (or I'm just being dutiful, cuz some of this shit really is obvious and/or not worth even FOUO classification). However, unlike making Secret information public, there is no punishment such as Treason charges, etc. The only punishment is that you'd pretty much get fired and never work in the gov't or military sector again.

The interaction between municipalities and national security is fairly interesting when it comes to moving information.
  • edited July 2011
    The reason we can't have this nice thing right now, mostly, is because ISPs are dickwads.
    Why stop decentralization at the application layer and go no lower?

Here are some options, with 802.11 already commercially viable. My smart phone, which I carry around with me everywhere, has Wi-Fi support and I believe can do ad hoc. Cellular/microwave transmitters and receivers might become consumer grade for more rural areas (if they aren't already), to extend the reach of The Rogue Backbone as it is being built up.

Maybe in some dystopian apocalyptic future, individuals would stand up their own cell towers and establish communications with the cell towers of their distant neighbors, creating a cellular network within The Rogue Backbone, or burying their own fiber between neighboring farmlands.

EDIT:
    More relevant technologies enabling high bandwidth ad hoc solutions for individuals; why must ISPs be in charge?
    Post edited by Byron on
  • So Google is giving achievements for reading news articles? Are they serious? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
    Well, think about it. It's not unreasonable to say that informed masses make better decisions and such. By exploiting our generations weakness towards videogame style feedback (achievements, points, etc), they are incentivising the increase of knowledge of national/global events.
  • Congratulations on the new job Rym hope everything turns out for the better for you.
  • job Rym
    I read that backwards at first.
  • Hey guys...found your discussion about Federal IT interesting. I work for one of those "permanent" companies (just got finished re-competing our contract, BTW) on a contract for an agency doing web app development work. You kept calling them corrupt. They are not corrupt. Real corruption barely exists these days due to whistle-blowers, Freedom of Information Act, investigative journalists, etc. Don't blame the companies, blame Congress.

The process for getting a contract is just complicated because of numerous laws passed over the years with good intentions. Many of these laws were meant to enforce fairness but only ended up piling on the paper work thus creating costs only the giant companies can afford. This bureaucratic overhead is the problem. You are generally right though with your airport restaurant analogy.

As for horizontal integration...forget about it. Each OPDIV (agency) functions like it's own company. I already have to go through almost two weeks of BS to get web application changes deployed. If I had to go through a centralized data-center it would be a NIGHTMARE.

All the people I work with, FTEs and contractors, are not the chumps you make them out to be. We work hard and take pride in our work for our country.

• Can't be too far off
  • edited July 2011
    As for horizontal integration...forget about it. Each OPDIV (agency) functions like it's own company. I already have to go through almost two weeks of BS to get web application changes deployed. If I had to go through a centralized data-center it would be a NIGHTMARE.
    Actually I had attended talks by generals regarding the horizontal integration across services. Only the younger or more technologically savvy military folks are interested in this; luckily there do exist some generals that are such. There are various programs and tests underway to connect communications platforms across the services. The problem is that each service is its own company, and they quite intentionally stovepipe their platforms so that the other services cannot make use of them.

It turns out not only is each service its own company, but they actually view each other as competition. Working together only happens on the battlefield. As far as bureaucracy goes, they don't play well together nor do they want to.

EDIT: If this makes the country "look" weak, then maybe these military bureaucrats should fix up their game a little bit.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • We work hard and take pride in our work for our country.
    Why do people believe this statement is an exoneration of all potential misdeeds or misunderstandings?

Having the best intentions at heart mean nothing if the implementation or result is horrid or abominable. I'm not saying that what cmoga refers to is either of these. However, that loaded phrase is used so often I kinda want to punch people when they use it as any part of a verbal defense. By using it as a defense, it also secludes and sequesters the individual using it, which leads to an implication that all other people involved in the conversation must not be caring about the best interests of the country. That use also pisses me off.

The only thing I learned while working for the country is that politicians run the science program where scientists should be running it. I make no excuses for the ineptitudes of these individuals, but it doesn't mean I believe the opposite of "work harding for the country" and "taking pride in the country". Programs that should be cut continue to run (at the cost of millions of dollars each year) because the politicians want to show their product wasn't a complete failure, no matter how much money must be thrown at it to fix it. The alternative is the responsible approach: abandon failed products and pursue new ones with better technological promise. This is almost never done from what I've seen. Politicians in science leadership roles refuse to admit failure because it makes them look bad; instead they expound the failure.
  • 3D camera photo of Rym's face. 3D print a sculpt, print texture. Does I now have access to Rym's house?
  • Google aquires PittPatt
    Hmm... integration of quick facial recognition into Google Goggles sounds tasty.
  • edited July 2011
    integration of quick facial recognition into Google Goggles sounds tasty creepy.
    Imagine how many random girls are going to quickly find out that video she made with her boyfriend that he totally said won't end up on the internet is being found by every dude who snaps a quick pic of her with his phone.

hawt.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • I don't care about any of that. I want TERMINATOR VISION.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't care about any of that. I want TERMINATOR VISION.
    Imagine an Android Open Hardware SDK accessory. It's a small camera that clips to your glasses and transmits images to your phone via bluetooth. Now, you can just glance at a person, and your phone will pull their Facebook, G+, TinEye, Twitter, Foursquare, EVERYTHING. Now integrate that with the new transparent LED text displays for glasses. Or Sony's VR headsets. You could have either Spider Jerusalem's live shades, or Hiro Protagonist's Gargoyle rig.

We're living in the future, you guys.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You could have either Spider Jerusalem's live shades, or Hiro Protagonist's Gargoyle rig
    I'm in. Whatever needs to be done, I'm in.
  • edited July 2011
    You could have either Spider Jerusalem's live shades, or Hiro Protagonist's Gargoyle rig
    I'm in. Whatever needs to be done, I'm in.
    Arduino just released Android device interface boards. I'd need to learn a bit about wireless sensor networks, but this is within a hobbyists reach, potentially.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Arduino just released Android device interface boards. I'd need to learn a bit about wireless sensor networks, but this is within a hobbyists reach, potentially.
    Dude, I get live-shades and/or a gargoyle rig. You're pretty much going to have to fight me to a standstill just to stop me having round-and-rectangular lens red and green glasses.