This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110718 - Face Recognition and Federated Clouds

2»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Arduino just released Android device interface boards. I'd need to learn a bit about wireless sensor networks, but this is within a hobbyists reach, potentially.
    Dude, I get live-shades and/or a gargoyle rig. You're pretty much going to have to fight me to a standstill just to stop me having round-and-rectangular lens red and green glasses.
    With a gargoyle rig, you don't even need wireless sensor networks. They can (and probably should be) wired. Wireless communications between too many sensors would jam your bandwidth, especially if you walk in the broadcast region of another person with the same equipment.

EDIT: Oh yeah, speaking of gargoyle suits, does Arduino have a Second Life plugin? lol.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • Arduino just released Android device interface boards. I'd need to learn a bit about wireless sensor networks, but this is within a hobbyists reach, potentially.
    Dude, I get live-shades and/or a gargoyle rig. You're pretty much going to have to fight me to a standstill just to stop me having round-and-rectangular lens red and green glasses.
    With a gargoyle rig, you don't even need wireless sensor networks. They can (and probably should be) wired. Wireless communications between too many sensors would jam your bandwidth, especially if you walk in the broadcast region of another person with the same equipment.
    Yeah, the liveshades are all about freedom of movement, but the gargoyle rig is more about how much information you can possibly pull down at once.

Said rig would need a couple UVA diodes and a UV camera. For total darkness facial recognition, even with IR washout.
  • edited July 2011
    EDIT: Oh yeah, speaking of gargoyle suits, does Arduino have a Second Life plugin? lol.
    Sort of.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2011
    Actually I had attended talks by generals
    I'm referring to the civilian side of government. Part of the problem in the civil government, in my opinion, has to do with the lack of a profit motive. This lack makes poor decisions possible where cost considerations in market driven organization would prevent them.
    Post edited by fawpodcast on
  • This lack makes poor decisions possible where cost considerations in market driven organization would prevent them.
    If there was profit motive, they'd cut corners to save money, steal, and do all the nasty stuff that profit motive favors. Either way, the real work ain't getting done because people just don't want to do SCIENCE! correctly.