This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favourite NES game

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Video Games
I actually have a very specific question all of a sudden. What's your favourite NES game?

I'd have to go with either Bionic Commando, Zelda II, or Final Fantasy.

Comments

• Mega Man 2, doy.
  • Blaster Master.

Don't ask me why.
  • Castlevania

Also love Castlevania III, Mega Man 2, Final Fantasy, Ghosts and Goblins, Rygar, Contra, Gradius, Jackal, Excite Bike.... Too many good games to list... Definately agree with Mega Man 2 being the best, the graphics, music and feel just all come together beautifully in that game.
  • Mega Man 2 all the way. Other than that...Super Mario 3.
  • Mega Man 2 all the way. Other than that...Super Mario 3.
    This guy knows his stuff.
  • Scott I have to ask you. What order do you defeat the MM2 robot masters in? Just wondering. :)
  • Scott I have to ask you. What order do you defeat the MM2 robot masters in? Just wondering. :)
    There are three ways I beat the 8 robot masters.

When I was a kid, I beat Flash Man first. I know most people were in the Air Man first club, but I hated Air Man. The jumps in his level haunted me as a kid. Flash Man was the first robot master I ever beat.

When I'm trying to show off, I beat Quick Man first. The Quick boomerang is the second most useful weapon in the game, and it's a lot of fun to use it in the other robot master's levels. Also, it's very impressive when you get past all the lasers on the first try.

When I'm trying to win, I use the following order. It is tried, and true and guaranteed to win every time.
    • Metal Man - Most useful weapon in the game.
    • Bubble Man - Weak against metal. Weapon needed for Heat Man.
    • Air Man - #2 not needed, but nice, for Heat Man.
    • Heat Man - Needed for Wood Man.
    • Wood Man - Needed for Crash Man's level.
    • Crash Man - Need bombs for Flash Man's level.
    • Flash Man - Use flash to make Quick Man's level stupid easy.
    • Quick Man - He doesn't take his time, I can tell you that.
    • Eyebrows ahoy!
  • If I am going for speed I follow this pattern:
    Quick, Metal, Air, Bubble, Heat, Wood, Flash, Crash

Normally I use this pattern:
    Metal, Flash, Wood, Air, Bubble, Heat, Crash, Quick
  • Very difficult to say because I played so frickin' many. But the classics:

Super Mario 3
    Duckhunt (I've been wanting to play this the last few months)
    Blades of Steel
    Super Tecmo Bowl
    Zelda 1

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Select Start --
    Even God knows it.
  • Legend of Zelda
  • If I am going for speed I follow this pattern:
    Quick, Metal, Air, Bubble, Heat, Wood, Flash, Crash

Normally I use this pattern:
    Metal, Flash, Wood, Air, Bubble, Heat, Crash, Quick
    The only thing I see wrong with your orders is that you put Crash after Flash. In Flash man's level there are many blocks which can be destroyed with Crash Bombs. That will make the level a lot easier and faster even if you aren't going for time. It also lets you get an extra goody or two more easily. Having Flash man's weapon in Crash Man's level doesn't help you at all. In Crash Man's level you use the wood shield almost the entire time. Then you use the #1 to get the 1-up, metal blade to beat the springy guys and Air Man's weapon on Crash Man.
  • In the Flash level it is actually much faster to just bypass the barriers than take the time to blow them up. SInce the bombs take at least a few seconds to blow up it is just quicker to go around them.

Actually having Flashman's weaon in Crashman's level does help. Once you get a little less than a quarter of the way you can make it up to the top with JUST enough time to avoid the egg birds.
  • In the Flash level it is actually much faster to just bypass the barriers than take the time to blow them up. SInce the bombs take at least a few seconds to blow up it is just quicker to go around them.

Actually having Flashman's weaon in Crashman's level does help. Once you get a little less than a quarter of the way you can make it up to the top with JUST enough time to avoid the egg birds.
    I just use the wood shield and the metal blade. I basically climb straight up without stopping. Never even thought to use flash man there. And even though it takes awhile to blow stuff up with crash bombs, you save time by falling down really far. No need to fight any bad guys if you take the right path.
  • A Boy And His Blob! It was truly the best game released in 1989 involving feeding jelly beans to an alien.
  • Oh My God...I loved a boy an his blob. I have heard of rumors of a new version!

Anyway, my favorite NES game has to be Dragon Warrior (Quest) 1,3 or 4. I really can't chose between them.
  • OMG, I just re-read my post.
    I just use the wood shield and the metal blade...
    It sounds like I'm talking about LOZ or some other RPG. Way to go Mega Man.
  • I think I have to go with Crystalis, and Legend of Zelda. Crystalis I had to borrow from a friend, and Zelda was given to us the same Christmas that the NES came. Zelda was the first RPG I got to play at home. Up until then I was only able to play a little at other friends houses, which doesn't really work for a game like that. I don't think my mom really knew what she was doing but managed to make good game purchases.

I also enjoy the Dragon Warrior series, DW1 was another of the first few games for the NES I played through. I have DW4 as well but never actually beat that one. FF1 is a given of course. All of these I still have in their full box glory ^_^. So many other good games for that system and many of them rank up there as favorite.
  • Ahh, Crystalis. That game was a fucker, but I loved it. My brother beat it long before I ever got to the end.

In retrospect, I think it's was one of the longest NES games I've ever played.
  • Yeah, as a youngster I did have trouble figuring out where to go next at times. I remember there being a warp trick with the second controller (hold down and b I think, then hit a button on the first controller and you warp to different areas in the game). Of course knowing this trick only served to make the game harder as the distraction just served to make me forget what I was supposed to be doing. I actually played through the game again a few years back, and it was quite fun.

I just noticed in the Wikipedia entry I linked that they re-released for the GBC. I never knew about that, wouldn't mind finding that to play through some time ^_^.
  • There are quite a few games that got released on the GBC that nobody knows about. When the GBC came out, Nintendo was afraid of losing the tremendous already-installed GameBoy user base, so they made two types of games. There were the DX games and there were the GBC-only games. The GBC-only games had much higher quality graphics and colors than the DX games when played on GBC, but, of course, only DX games worked in the old GB.

When given the choice, developers would almost always make a DX game because there were more potential customers and lower development costs. This hurt the sales of GBCs because nobody needed one to play the latest games. That in turn prevented the creation of more GBC-only games because GBC sales were relatively low. It didn't matter, because it wasn't long before Nintendo released the GBA. They got it right that time and stuck with just GBA-only games. Also, when the GBA came out, the two biggest GBC-only games of all time came out. Those games are Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. Most people played them on GBA, and you even got secret things in those games if you played them on GBA.

One GBC-only game that many people forget is Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. I have this game, and IMHO, it's the best version of SMB1 ever. Not only does it have SMB1 and a great challenge mode, but it also has the original Japanese SMB2. The only other way to get that game in the US is in Super Mario All-Stars for SNES where it received a graphic upgrade. SMBD is the only legitimate way to play the original unmodified SMB2 in the US.

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of old black and white GB games were re-released as DX games. The most important of these are Link's Awakening, Tetris, Metroid II and Wario II. These are all-time great games, and the DX versions are even better. They added extra things besides color in the upgrades, yet relatively few people actually bought the DX versions. My guess is that it was because they already owned the original.

I bought a GBC on the release date. What can I say? It was a great system that would have been greater if it had been released earlier. The technology just developed too quickly, and the GBA put it to an early demise.

FYI: The GBC had an infra-red port that allowed you to transmit data in very few games. The only time I ever used it was with Pokemon Silver/Gold which were DX games.

Other GBC games to note: Bionic Commando, Commander Keen, Daikatana (lol), Deva Vu 1+2, Donkey Kong Country 1/2 , Dragon Warrior 1+2/3, Dragon Warrior Monsters 1/2, Game and Watch Gallery 2/3, Pokemon Diamond/Crystal/Gold and Wario 3.
  • edited September 2006
    For me it's up in the air between Kirby's Adventure, MM2, and SMB3. Silver Surfer gets an honorable mention for the huge variety of interesting and creepy graphics (plus I can apparently beat Scott by completing approx. 1/7 of the game by beating the reptile boss).

And my personal MM2 Robot Master order:

1. Bubble Man
    2. Flash Man
    3. Metal Man
    4. Wood Man
    5. Air Man (surprisingly weak to the arm cannon)
    6. Crash Man (2 tornado shots and it's over)
    7. Fire Man
    8. Quick Man (yes, I always used the flash stopper to bypass about half of the beams and then recharged it on the mech enemies later, sue me)
    Post edited by AtheriShadow on
  • edited September 2006
    I actually have a very specific question all of a sudden. What's your favourite NES game?

I'd have to go with either Bionic Commando, Zelda II, or Final Fantasy.
    Zelda II - seconded!! I've been either playing this game or watching my dad play it since I was 4 years old. Link is my homeslice.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited September 2006
    Duck Hunt was cool, and I had Paper Boy. I have a soft spot for that game, although if I played it again now, I would probably think it was stupid.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Caveman Games. Does anyone else remeber that one?
  • For me it's up in the air between Kirby's Adventure, MM2, and SMB3. Silver Surfer gets an honorable mention for the huge variety of interesting and creepy graphics (plus I can apparently beat Scott by completing approx. 1/7 of the game by beating the reptile boss).

And my personal MM2 Robot Master order:

1. Bubble Man
    2. Flash Man
    3. Metal Man
    4. Wood Man
    7. Fire Man
    8. Quick Man (yes, I always used the flash stopper to bypass about half of the beams and then recharged it on the mech enemies later, sue me)
    First of all, it's Heat Man. Fire Man was in MM1. Second of all, that's the craziest robot master order I've ever seen. You know the metal blade kills Bubble Man in about 4 hits right? It also kills just about everything in his level in 1 hit. You also know that with Heat Man's weapon you can kill Wood Man in one hit right? And yes, Air Man is the only boss who is seriously weak to the "P", that is why so many people say you should fight him first.
  • edited September 2006
    I have to go with

Bionic Commando - Have to agree with Rym on this one. They better make a Wii Sequel!
    Battle-toads - nothing like beating your friend up when your trying to play Co-op
    Ultima: Exodus - Did I ever figure out out to get anywhere in this game? Did I play it for hours, Yes!
    Blaster Master - There is nothing wrong with liking that game Pete!
    Star Tropics - They really should make another!
    Dragon Warrior - "Does thou love me" "No" "But thou must"
    Final Fantasy - Well, I mean it only got me into RPGs (that and Dragon Warrior)
    Legacy of the Wizard: Another Motherfucking game that I could never figure out what I was supposed to do but I played the hell out of it!

Oh yea, and Probably the two games I played the Most "Desert Commander" (Advance War for the NES!) and the longest Genghis Khan (I remember playing this after the senior Prom in high school down the shore! Four Player Turn based Action!)

Oh and that reminds me, I've been looking for another Turn based Strategy game for years, since I used to rent it from a video store constantly but never bought it. I believe it was called "Shogun" it was a period game (obviously) that involved unit movement through castles and such when you decided to take over an area and otherwise it was a resource empire builder. Anyone finds a copy of the game or a ROM has my thanks. I've been unable to use the resources of the Internet to find this game which is sad. (though I haven't looked in years)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Looking around it might be Nobunaga's Ambition.. I'll have to download some Rom's and see if that's it.
  • edited September 2006

1. Bubble Man
    2. Flash Man
    3. Metal Man
    4. Wood Man
    7. Fire Man
    HUH? Okay then. I'm sorry to say but Bubbleman and Flashman first is not the most efficient way to go about it. Like Scott said if you move Metalman to the top of your list that will make Bubble and Flash so much easier.

When I was a little kid I had never seen a zippo lighter, so I had no idea what the hell Heatman was. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized that Heatman was a lighter and not a flaming trash can.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on